Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 AM

91 posts, read 177,879 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd share my Denver Traffic Court experience as I just went through the process of contesting a speeding ticket.

Case: Pulled over for doing 73 in a 55 zone by a MC Cop using LiDAR. Only problem was that all traffic was going about 57 MPH and he never pulled his LiDAR unit out let alone use it (as witnessed by 2 others in vehicle at the time)- I was simply the next smuck in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hindsight being 20/20 I will tell you DO NOT bother contesting your ticket. Pay the fine, take the reduction in points and move on. The Judge will humour you and let you go through the process of defending your ticket (as they are required to do) but short of video footage of the events you are testifying about, you will not prevail - even with witness's. I was told to expect that the policeman would lie (he did), I was told to expect that his recollection of the events would be much different than actually happened (they were) and I was also told that regardless of the stellar defence I presented - I would not prevail (right again). To add insult to injury the Judge told me I had done a wonderful job of presenting my case, but that essentially I was lying and she sided with the policeman - ouch. You will also read on many sites that the Police often dont show up - wrong again - there were 5 cases the same morning as mine, and all 5 policemen were there ready to go.

It seems that the City of Denver takes their revenue collection very seriously.

So the moral of the story is this - after driving for 30 years (with a CDL) in several Countries and States without EVER getting a ticket, I am now that guy that ticks everyone off by driving the speed limit, not 3 or 4 over, THE speed limit - so I apologize in advance. You'll probably see me one day - I will be the one getting flipped off, tail gated and honked at for driving too slow, but I guess that's much safer than going with the flow of traffic - isn't that right your Honor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 03:42 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,106,821 times
I don't buy it for a second that you were going two over. Denver cops have been accused of a lot of bad policing, but never randomly giving out 15 mph+ speeding tickets just for the hell of it.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Which is exactly the reason I made the attempt to have the ticket dismissed. Believe what you will - I just needed to vent.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,089,182 times
I've gotten 1 traffic ticket in my life. I took it to court and the cop didn't show up.
I took parking tickets here in Denver to a trial once too.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,979,341 times
Just curious, were you allowed to take the traffic course to have the points removed?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,283,285 times
Two things:
1. The cop may have used his gun from way farther than you guys noticed him. I also have to agree that a cop doesn't usually guesstimate speeding to exact 18 miles over the speed limit.
2. Denver cops show up every time in the court and protesting ticket is just waste of time.
Here is an example. My work has a small road that has a stop sign little ahead of the cross section so we usually stop there and roll forward to actually see if vehicles are coming or not.
If not, we just take left or right without actually stopping as we already stopped at the stop sign few yards back.
A motorcycle cop is around 75 yards away looking at that point and he ticketed 5 of my colleagues for not stopping in the same morning.
They argued that they stopped at the stop sign that the cop can't see as it's few yards back from the intersection and his view is blocked from a overpass bridge pillars but cop won't budge.
Turns out there are even more who got the ticket there over last few days.
They all went to the court same time thinking if they all go together, judge may think the cop was at fault but nope.
The cop was in the court and judge agreed with him. All my colleagues had to pay the ticket for not fully stopping even though they all stopped.
From that point on, I stop at stop sign, roll few yards and stop there again.
So be very careful here otherwise points add up quickly.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Just curious, were you allowed to take the traffic course to have the points removed?
I dont believe that that option is possible for Denver. I have read that doing a drivers ed program may help / prevent your insurance premium rising. My next call is to the DMV to see if there is anything that can be done on that end but I dont expect much success there either.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,640 times
I got my first ticket ever and schedule to appear in court Dec 20th. I never ever got a speeding ticket and it so happens I was so late for my appointment that I did not take note of the speed limit and did not realize I was over by 15mph. On that same day I also got a ticket for no insurance. I always have insurance and carry my card at all times however when I was pulled over I could not find my insurance card in the glove dept. When I got home as I got out of my car I discovered the card had slipped under the passenger front seat. Is it possible that that I can have the insurance points waived with a letter from my agent and also is it possible the judge will reduce the 4 points to 2 points? I have a clean driving record and have never had any violations. My traffic ticket is for the city of Aurora.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,640 times
One other question does anyone know if the police show at the Aurora municipal court ?

Old 12-11-2013, 02:17 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,700,274 times
Default Nope, it won't keep your insurance premium from rising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDaly View Post
I dont believe that that option is possible for Denver. I have read that doing a drivers ed program may help / prevent your insurance premium rising. My next call is to the DMV to see if there is anything that can be done on that end but I dont expect much success there either.
As a former underwriter, rate maker, and compliance officer, I can absolutely assure you that as soon as your insurance company becomes aware of your infraction, you will receive a premium increase on your next renewal-----and it will stick with you for three years. And if I understand your original post correctly you were charged with speeding more than 15 mph over the limit which is frequently a higher surcharge than under 15mph over.

Just about all states will allow you to enroll in a driver school that will result in points being dropped off your driver's license, but it does not remove the violation from your MVR and your insurance company PROBABLY will catch it around renewal time. some companies only check every two years and you can always hope for that.

Most people do not understand that points can accumulate on one's driver's license and result in suspension if they get, say 12 within a three year period. A speeding ticket can hit your license from two to six points, but three is what I recall most often seeing--but I've been retired for over ten years. Taking state approved classes will eliminate the points charged against your license, but will not remove the presence of the violation from your record.

Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news. Sounds like you've been kicked in the gut enough for one holiday season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: