U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,559,824 times

Advertisements

So this may seem like a silly question but from what I know is that Denver has more mild winters with big snow storms then it can be 60 degrees, is this normal or more rare. Now Consider this, I will go golfing here in Wisconsin anytime it is around 42-45 and up but the problem here is that there is no sunshine in winter making 40's seem colder and it's usually windy in winter here also making 45 seem a lot colder. Now with Denver's more mild winter and stretches of nice weather later into the year how long can one expect to be able to play golf? In Wisconsin come Nov 1st you can put the clubs away until April 1st every year no if and or buts, but in Denver with highs up to 44 in Jan, 45 in Feb, and 50's in March it would seem like there would be at least some days or weeks that it's 45+ in winter therefore I could go out and play a round. All I need is 45+ and some sun and little wind and I'll be out there how often in the in the winter months can I expect to play?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Side question how are the courses in the Denver area? does Denver have good public courses and a lot of them? Milwaukee County has 15 courses and with a resident discount card it makes golfing in Milwaukee very cheap I just wonder of majority of the courses are private or public. Some cities have very few public courses like Chicago with only 6 courses compared to Milwaukee's 15.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,901,107 times
Most golf courses are open year-round. I have golfed in Denver during every month of the year. December is the hardest month to golf because the days are short, but the possibility of a warm (50) and sunny day is always there.

The biggest drawback is the hard ground. On the plus side, your drive gets an extra 20 yd roll. On the minus side getting the ball to stop on the green is very hard.

If nothing else, you can go out and hit a bucket of balls at the range any month of the year.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Side question how are the courses in the Denver area? does Denver have good public courses and a lot of them? Milwaukee County has 15 courses and with a resident discount card it makes golfing in Milwaukee very cheap I just wonder of majority of the courses are private or public. Some cities have very few public courses like Chicago with only 6 courses compared to Milwaukee's 15.
The City of Denver has 5 championship golf courses (18-27 holes) in the city, one championship course in the mountains (Evergreen), a dedicated par-3 course (Harvard Gulch) and a par-3 course at Kennedy GC along with the championship course.

There are several other municipal courses in the Denver area as well, including:
- Lakewood (1 27-hole course, 1 18-hole executive course)
- Foothills (2 18-hole courses, 1 9-hole executive course, 1 par-3 course)
- South Suburban (2 18-hole courses, 1 18-hole executive course, 1 9-hole executive course, 1 par-3 course)
- Aurora (5 18-hole courses, 1 18-hole executive course)
- Westminster (2 18-hole courses)

There are also municipal courses in Englewood, Thornton, and Golden.

There are also several courses open to the public in the metro area as well.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Most golf courses are open year-round. I have golfed in Denver during every month of the year. December is the hardest month to golf because the days are short, but the possibility of a warm (50) and sunny day is always there.
Here are the highs and forecast highs for the past few days to the end of this week:

Sun, Dec 15: 51
Mon, Dec 16: 63
Tues, Dec 17: 65
Wed, Dec 18: 63
Thur, Dec 19: 53
Fri, Dec 20: 44

The only thing that would keep you from golfing is snow on the course -- some still have snow, some don't.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 PM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
The problem typically lies with the fact that if and when it snows, it will stick to the courses for several weeks (the parts in the shade) so even with semi-warm temps you still have random spots of snow to deal with. But the beauty of Denver is that most all muni courses stay open year-round and you can pick days here and there to go. I would hesitate to call Denver a year-round golf city, but if you're an avid golf you can pick a few days each month from November through March to go until the spring sets in for good in April.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 PM

1,898 posts, read 4,000,714 times
I work with a guy who spends pretty much all of his free time golfing or at the driving range. Denver's weather is crazy enough where he's been able to play in December, January, etc. This isn't Arizona, though.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:17 PM

12,277 posts, read 8,079,596 times
when I went out for lunch today I saw a lot of golfers at Meridian.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:19 PM

Looking at Denver's December highs they had 18 days above 42 degrees right at my limit for playable golf weather. That's amazing! Now the next 5 day highs are 48, 55, 50, 48, 57. Just great winter weather in my book.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:05 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
Yes, winters are typically pretty mild in Denver but the Front Range is also known for some pretty awful winter storms throughout the spring and you then have to deal with the snow for a few weeks. But I have golfed in/around Denver in January and February before without problems, you just have to go in with the mindset that the course will be in pretty rough shape. But hey, you're golfing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver