U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 PM

636 posts, read 2,089,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Well it certainly feels cold to me. Average (mean) temperatures south of Denver (where I'm located) are: Nov 36 Dec 28 Jan 27 Feb 30 Mar 36 and IMO that is COLD. Sure, maybe not for everyone, but probably for most of us it is cold. Mild? Compared to what? Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin? You can always compare Colorado to a colder place.
Ditto I grew up here, I still think its cold. I have those hands and feet that are blue a lot of the time, even when I was a kid, in the summer. But there are so many things good about Colorado and Denver, I still feel its better than gloom. Nothing is worse than gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 06:37 AM

127 posts, read 397,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
The ocean is great until it gets cold nobody cares for a day at the beach when its 40 degrees out anyways. And what long stretches are you refering to. Portland is no Southern California, they get cold in the winter just the same
Growing up in Portland my folks had a house at the coast. As kids we would get into the water until our legs and feet were red and numb from the cold. Once that was accomplished it was easy to play in the ocean as you could not feel anything from the waist down.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Quote:
I meant brown as in no "green" for about 6 months out of the year. Portland doesn't get below freezing temperatures very often.
Yeah, I don't like that either. I have found that if I fertilize my grass in October, it stays fairly green throughout the winter, as well as planting different types of holly, boxwood and other evergreens, my yard looks much less "brown and dead" all winter. Denver should plant more Colorado Spruce trees. They do great here, don't break apart in early Fall snows, and stay beautiful all winter.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 PM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Well it certainly feels cold to me. Average (mean) temperatures south of Denver (where I'm located) are: Nov 36 Dec 28 Jan 27 Feb 30 Mar 36 and IMO that is COLD. Sure, maybe not for everyone, but probably for most of us it is cold. Mild? Compared to what? Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin? You can always compare Colorado to a colder place.
How long have you been here? Those averages are next to meaningless in this climate. There are lots of days in the 50s and even 60s all winter, including Dec. and Jan.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,739,675 times
Quote:
Ditto, where do you live, Monument? Larkspur? Maybe Castle Rock? Those "averages" are 3-4 degrees colder than any numbers I've seen for Denver.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 PM

271 posts, read 1,251,044 times
I agree with pittnurse.. those averages are meaningless on the Front Range. Where else do you see 30-40 degree temperature swings on a daily basis? It doesn't mean it's not relatively warm during most days when most people spend their time outdoors in the winter in most locations.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:01 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeAZ View Post
Growing up in Portland my folks had a house at the coast. As kids we would get into the water until our legs and feet were red and numb from the cold. Once that was accomplished it was easy to play in the ocean as you could not feel anything from the waist down.
You got to be kidding?? Brrr.....Brrrr sounds like the training I had in the Army.
Maybe I will go there and stick my arthritic limbs in that frigidity and feel no pain---on second thought---I will just wait for eternal numbness--death.

Livecontent

Old 12-01-2007, 06:31 AM

127 posts, read 397,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You got to be kidding?? Brrr.....Brrrr sounds like the training I had in the Army.
Maybe I will go there and stick my arthritic limbs in that frigidity and feel no pain---on second thought---I will just wait for eternal numbness--death.

Livecontent
I would have to say that the Pacific Ocean temperature up there was always somewhere in the low 40's even in the summer. Quite a difference from the warmer Pacific Ocean water's around Southern California. As kids, we didn't know any different and just wanted to play in the Ocean. Arthritic limbs or not, I could not do it now. I don't think this would be something on your enjoyment list. Take Care

Old 12-01-2007, 07:12 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,352,908 times
Default Uhhhh, MorningGlory, U live up in the mountains....

I've been to Woodland Park. That's getting up into the hills/mountains west of Colorado Springs. That is a higher elevation than Denver and a different and much colder climate. Arrrgh! The mountains of Colorado are cold, often very, very very cold. But that is not the same weather as Denver experiences, in fact, not even close ! Aiiiigh !

Old 12-01-2007, 09:14 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,566,607 times
Default Portkand

Denver is on my list of possibilities since I plan to move from Portland in the next few years. I am used to the gloomy rainy winters so it isn't the weather for me. It has largely to do with the job situation. They are hard to come by and there is fierce competition for what's available. Employers take advantage of this by offering lower wages for jobs that would pay higher in other cities.

If you think you can find good jobs here, it's not too bad a place to live but it's changing everyday. It is becoming a real have vs have-not environment and the individualism and charm is slowly diminishing so that it is becoming just as mundane as any other city of its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver