U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 AM

676 posts, read 1,816,100 times
Yeah unfortunately many cities who once had their own individual charm and culture have become swamped by corporate chains which drive away any of the small mom and pop and local hot spots. Such a shame that you can take any area around any mall in the country and paste it into any town and it will fit right in. There is really no variety any more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 07:45 PM

388 posts, read 3,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Ditto I grew up here, I still think its cold. I have those hands and feet that are blue a lot of the time, even when I was a kid, in the summer. But there are so many things good about Colorado and Denver, I still feel its better than gloom. Nothing is worse than gloom.
I don't mind the gloom that much and would rather have it gloomy than below 40 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
How long have you been here? Those averages are next to meaningless in this climate. There are lots of days in the 50s and even 60s all winter, including Dec. and Jan.
I've been here quite a while and the averages are not meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Ditto, where do you live, Monument? Larkspur? Maybe Castle Rock? Those "averages" are 3-4 degrees colder than any numbers I've seen for Denver.
Castle Rock.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:06 PM

127 posts, read 296,168 times
Dear Ditto:

There is a simple reason as to why people from the Pacific Northwest move to Denver and Phoenix:

Local Text Forecast for
Portland, OR

Weather for your life

Dec 2 Tonight
Cloudy and windy with periods of rain. Low 43F. Winds S at 25 to 35 mph. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.
Dec 3 Tomorrow
Cloudy and windy with periods of rain. High 53F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.
Dec 3 Tomorrow night
Windy. A steady rain in the evening, with showers continuing late. Low 51F. Winds SSW at 20 to 30 mph. Rainfall near a half an inch.
Dec 4 Tuesday
Showers. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 40s.
Dec 5 Wednesday
Occasional showers possible. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 30s.

This also explains why you don't see a mass exodus of people from Denver and Phoenix moving to Portland.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeAZ View Post
Dear Ditto:

There is a simple reason as to why people from the Pacific Northwest move to Denver and Phoenix:

Local Text Forecast for
Portland, OR

Weather for your life

Dec 2 Tonight
Cloudy and windy with periods of rain. Low 43F. Winds S at 25 to 35 mph. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.
Dec 3 Tomorrow
Cloudy and windy with periods of rain. High 53F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.
Dec 3 Tomorrow night
Windy. A steady rain in the evening, with showers continuing late. Low 51F. Winds SSW at 20 to 30 mph. Rainfall near a half an inch.
Dec 4 Tuesday
Showers. Highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 40s.
Dec 5 Wednesday
Occasional showers possible. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 30s.

This also explains why you don't see a mass exodus of people from Denver and Phoenix moving to Portland.
Ah yes, I love the rain! Makes everything green and beautiful. And a little bit of humidity over the extreme dry weather! Some pretty nice temps there -- nothing below 30 degrees! Nice.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 PM

636 posts, read 1,498,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
I've been to Woodland Park. That's getting up into the hills/mountains west of Colorado Springs. That is a higher elevation than Denver and a different and much colder climate. Arrrgh! The mountains of Colorado are cold, often very, very very cold. But that is not the same weather as Denver experiences, in fact, not even close ! Aiiiigh !
Right. But I grew up in Lakewood, spent years living in Denver, and my house here is for sale. I was cold in Lakewood and Denver. I am cold here too. The only place I am warm is Cancun.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:42 PM

271 posts, read 854,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Ah yes, I love the rain! Makes everything green and beautiful. And a little bit of humidity over the extreme dry weather! Some pretty nice temps there -- nothing below 30 degrees! Nice.
If you hate Colorado so much why do you live here? Why don't you go back to OC, which you seem to prefer? Or move to Portland? It seems that all you do on these forums is whine and moan about how you hate it here.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
If you hate Colorado so much why do you live here? Why don't you go back to OC, which you seem to prefer? Or move to Portland? It seems that all you do on these forums is whine and moan about how you hate it here.
I see you've been reading my posts - thank you.

There are good and bad things about Colorado just like everywhere else, and I've simply pointed out some of my dislikes. Many other people on this forum have done the same thing. If I did move to another location, I could still come in here and make negative remarks about Colorado, which wouldn't be any different than ex-californians living in CO who continue to bash CA in the respective forum.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:30 PM

271 posts, read 854,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
I see you've been reading my posts - thank you.

There are good and bad things about Colorado just like everywhere else, and I've simply pointed out some of my dislikes. Many other people on this forum have done the same thing. If I did move to another location, I could still come in here and make negative remarks about Colorado, which wouldn't be any different than ex-californians living in CO who continue to bash CA in the respective forum.
Well, all I've seen from you are negative remarks about CO, and almost all positive about OC. It paints a pretty polarized image of your perspective, if you ask me. So, I was just curious why you live here... I know it doesn't matter where you live and you could still bash CO in this forum all you wanted.. but giving your answer to my question might be interesting to hear nonetheless.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:52 PM

oberon

I'm guessing you haven't spent much time on other Colorado/Denver forums, because my comments pale in comparison to most others. If you primarily read City Data CO forums, you'll find mostly positive comments. I assume this is because many people are looking to move here or haven't been in CO very long, thus less complaints.

Check out the Denver Post forums for more opinions about Colorado:
Forums :: Denver Post Neighbors

Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,054,402 times
This is such a strange thread about comparing these two cities, Portland and Denver. They are two different cities, two different areas, two different climates.

I do find it interesting that the first project that people do when they get a house in Denver is give it a big green lawn. So, are they not trying to emulate the very green of cities like Portland?? These people water and water until it floods out into the streets

Most people must believe that green is better than brown. In green states, like Oregon when they bulldoze the land, they plant green lawns to maintain green. In brown states, like Colorado, when they bulldoze the land, they plant green lawns to add green.

The wise man in Colorado will accept the brown, love the brown and be home with the brown, instead of creating an artificial landscape that is wasteful of water and not maintainable.

I am proud to be brown.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver