Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 11,538 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I have lived in a small town with a population around 13,000 my entire life. I am currently 24 years of age. I am very close to pulling the trigger on moving to Denver. I visited the area a few years ago and have fell in love with the idea of moving there ever sense. I have been slowly looking into it during that time and over the past couple weeks I have really started doing some serious research. Honestly at this point, me and my girlfriend are looking to just take off and do this within the next 6 weeks when our lease is up.

From the research I have done it appears the job opportunities are pretty impressive, well at least compared to what I'm use to. I'm not sure if to many people on this forum will understand how poor the opportunities where I come from are and how little I really expect, especially during the short term. I feel my research has me pretty spot on what to expect but I would just feel more comfortable if a couple people in the area could confirm or deny it. Where I currently live, outside of the doctors and very few business owners, the absolute highest paying job is a Border Patrol Agent. One of the top end jobs around here is a corrections officer at the prisons, unless you were lucky enough to snag the very minimal mentioned jobs above. Which starts out at around $15 an hour with a max of $23 over time. Not a very glamorous job obviously but if you want enough money to not be broke you go for it. Under that you can work construction for small companies for $10-15 an hour. Even getting into those jobs you need to know someone. Not that I have ever had a hard time getting into those jobs.

I have an associates in Criminal Justice from a community college, and less than two semesters away from an associates in business administration. My work experience is mostly in flooring, tree removal, CNC operations. Nothing special but I am a solid younger working hand who works very hard that never had much opportunity where I have lived to gain better experience and qualifications.

I am willing to come out and take a bare minimum entry level job that I can easily acquire before I move. I'm talking minimum wage and ideally a dollar or two above would be excellent. Me and my gf would both be willing to take jobs of that caliber just to stay afloat to give ourselves an opportunity to maybe pick up a little better paying job. We also have a couple grand to help buffer that a little bit. What would the likeliness of me being able to pick up a job for around $12-15 an hour within my first few months of being in the Denver area given my limited qualifications? I am open to any field. I am willing to work construction, to a business job, etc. It doesn't matter, I'm just looking to put myself in a position of opportunity to learn and someday make a reasonable income that I can sustain a satisfactory life style.

Any insight or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
haulinbass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM

434 posts, read 1,117,913 times
I don't know much about the job market, but starting with a placement agency is a good way to start. You can use an Internet search to look for agencies and use common sense to screen out the reputable from the dis-reputable. Look at this example of a reputable agency: Construction | The Premier Group
There's a local address and phone number, the website looks professional, and they have a mission and philosophy. There are several others that look reputable as well.

Invest some time now to fill out the online applications, do the background checks, etc. and you'll be a couple steps ahead when you arrive.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:05 PM

39 posts, read 65,975 times
Good luck to you. I have filled out 200+ applications and have had three interviews. I'm 30 years old with an associates and worked for an electric utility in TX for 6ish years and Asset Protection for Target for over 5 years. I like to think im a good leader and have above average intelligence (doesn't everybody) and it's been really tough finding work here. I keep lowering my expectations and pretty soon I'm going to be happy to have a $10/hr job doing anything. That's a 50% pay cut from TX and even worse, fewer jobs offer benefits here. I hope it's better than your old town, but don't have too high of expectations.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about the job market, but starting with a placement agency is a good way to start. You can use an Internet search to look for agencies and use common sense to screen out the reputable from the dis-reputable. Look at this example of a reputable agency: Construction | The Premier Group
There's a local address and phone number, the website looks professional, and they have a mission and philosophy. There are several others that look reputable as well.

Invest some time now to fill out the online applications, do the background checks, etc. and you'll be a couple steps ahead when you arrive.
Thanks for the advice I definitely will explore those agencies.

Quote:
Good luck to you. I have filled out 200+ applications and have had three interviews. I'm 30 years old with an associates and worked for an electric utility in TX for 6ish years and Asset Protection for Target for over 5 years. I like to think im a good leader and have above average intelligence (doesn't everybody) and it's been really tough finding work here. I keep lowering my expectations and pretty soon I'm going to be happy to have a $10/hr job doing anything. That's a 50% pay cut from TX and even worse, fewer jobs offer benefits here. I hope it's better than your old town, but don't have too high of expectations.
That's weird I wonder why that is.

Denver's unemployment rate is 7% and Colorado is 6.8% which is bellow the national average. Michigans unemployment rate is 9.7%, the town I live in is 12.2%.

I know it's just statistics but they surely have to hold at least some meaning. Obviously the employment rate in the country as a whole isn't ideal. Some people on here make it sound like Denver/Colorado is horrible. Is it really that horrible?

What types of jobs are you applying for and what type of pay scale are you after? Are you meeting your qualifications or trying to get into a competitive job market? Are you exploring different types of job markets? You can surely be in the best economic town in the world and struggle to get a job if your going after the same job as everyone else. I'm not trying to say you are by any means, I'm just looking for more information out of you so I can understand the reality of your situation as well as others who make similar claims.

Thanks for your time

Old 01-24-2014, 06:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
My dad is from the Upper Peninsula--I know how rough things can be up there, we went camping/backpacking there every summer. Beautiful, but very isolated and not a hot spot for jobs. Denver will probably be a big change for you--more expensive, much more going on in return.

Any reason you're getting 2 associates degrees and haven't moved on to a bachelor's degree? Seems like an odd choice. Any long-term career plans vs. just getting a job?

In terms of decent paying jobs, I used temp agencies all the time in college for short-term summer jobs.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM

164 posts, read 596,001 times
Hello, and you can do it. Your belief in the future is admirable. Hats off to you for looking ahead during these (what the calcified bitter thinkers would call) tough times.

I think that your main issue would be establishing a living situation when you arrive, or a bit before. This can be done a couple of ways: 1-call a place advertising apartments and speak with them, and if it sounds legit send them a check. This may be tough since you wouldn't have employment to pay for a rental. Plus, there are a bunch of scammers out there. 2-show up, stay at a hotel (there are many in various price/safety ranges- specifically one on the corner of Broadway and Iowa is $35 per night and barely meets the standard), and seek an apartment when you get here. You should have a few months of rent to put down in case they get nervous about your ability to pay. Money talks. This option lets you see the neighborhood and gauge most accurately if everything is to your liking.

You have the right idea as far when not expecting too much when you first arrive. You MAY have to share a studio apartment (about $600/mo) to really keep your money situation in check. But, as far as jobs go, you will likely find something starting at $10/hr and could edge into the $13/hr territory pretty easily. Tree climbers/crew are needed occasionally. Snow shovelers too- keep in mind that these jobs would just tide you over for a bit as you get more settled. Check the craigslist jobs list- I looked yesterday and there were 400 jobs listed (which really boils down to 50 where someone could just show up and start). DO YOU HAVE ANY FACE/NECK TATTOOS?....this could severely hamper your hire-ability. Still, you'd think they would hire pretty much anyone to be a sign spinner. Much of your success depends on your willingness to make it work. IT IS NOT AS HORRIBLE AS "THEY" SAY.

One nice thing about Denver- many people pass through here without staying very long. The mentality of the city seems to understand that people come and go. I doubt that Denver is as immobile/set as Upper Michigan.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:40 PM

91 posts, read 178,006 times
Depending upon what construction experience you have, $15.00 an hour would be quite possible (with experience). It can go up quite substantially from there - again depending upon experience. As previously stated, you accommodation may be your biggest hurdle. Good Luck. Nothing good ever come's to someone who sits in their armchair and wishes things were better!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
My dad is from the Upper Peninsula--I know how rough things can be up there, we went camping/backpacking there every summer. Beautiful, but very isolated and not a hot spot for jobs. Denver will probably be a big change for you--more expensive, much more going on in return.

Any reason you're getting 2 associates degrees and haven't moved on to a bachelor's degree? Seems like an odd choice. Any long-term career plans vs. just getting a job?

In terms of decent paying jobs, I used temp agencies all the time in college for short-term summer jobs.
I originally got the associates in Criminal Justice and decided there is not much point in me getting a bachelors in it. I figured I would salvage my credits and build up an associates in Business Admin. Still working on it but I can obtain the rest online from the school I currently attend. I plan on transferring the associates and finishing my bachelors in Business once I got settled in after the move, granted everything worked out.

I definitely don't want to be in a temporary job position. I would rather have a stable job at minimum wage to get started. I obviously have some money to bring to help me get going but I couldn't afford to go to long without any type of income. All I need enough money for is living expenses, food, and gym membership for now at least until I can get something a little better going. I can go without for a little while. I'll be more than happy to be out of the cold and be around more active people.

Quote:
Hello, and you can do it. Your belief in the future is admirable. Hats off to you for looking ahead during these (what the calcified bitter thinkers would call) tough times.

I think that your main issue would be establishing a living situation when you arrive, or a bit before. This can be done a couple of ways: 1-call a place advertising apartments and speak with them, and if it sounds legit send them a check. This may be tough since you wouldn't have employment to pay for a rental. Plus, there are a bunch of scammers out there. 2-show up, stay at a hotel (there are many in various price/safety ranges- specifically one on the corner of Broadway and Iowa is $35 per night and barely meets the standard), and seek an apartment when you get here. You should have a few months of rent to put down in case they get nervous about your ability to pay. Money talks. This option lets you see the neighborhood and gauge most accurately if everything is to your liking.

You have the right idea as far when not expecting too much when you first arrive. You MAY have to share a studio apartment (about $600/mo) to really keep your money situation in check. But, as far as jobs go, you will likely find something starting at $10/hr and could edge into the $13/hr territory pretty easily. Tree climbers/crew are needed occasionally. Snow shovelers too- keep in mind that these jobs would just tide you over for a bit as you get more settled. Check the craigslist jobs list- I looked yesterday and there were 400 jobs listed (which really boils down to 50 where someone could just show up and start). DO YOU HAVE ANY FACE/NECK TATTOOS?....this could severely hamper your hire-ability. Still, you'd think they would hire pretty much anyone to be a sign spinner. Much of your success depends on your willingness to make it work. IT IS NOT AS HORRIBLE AS "THEY" SAY.

One nice thing about Denver- many people pass through here without staying very long. The mentality of the city seems to understand that people come and go. I doubt that Denver is as immobile/set as Upper Michigan.
I figured I would try to land a minimum wage job before I arrive, just enough to stay afloat. I would assume acquiring a minimum wage job before I even get there wouldn't be to difficult to accomplish. Granted that even at 16 years old I was making at least $10 here. As far as the apartments I have been looking at some and trying to narrow it down but obviously as you said I'm going to want to at least get a feel for the areas for a couple days before pulling the trigger. Any chance you know the name of that hotel on broadway? For $35 a night you can't argue with that when money is tight, as long as they have running water lol.

I haven't really checked craiglist yet. I have been using websites like monsterjobs. But I will certainly start looking at craigslist.

I have no tattoos, piercings, or anything of that sort. Clean cut and into fitness.

Thank you for the advice

Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
I passed a big sign today advertising $15/hr jobs with 20 hrs per week guaranteed driving BVSD (Boulder Valley School District) buses.

Every now and then I see the post office in Aurora with a sign hanging outside saying they are hiring. Haven't been over there recently so don't know if they are looking. I'm always surprised by that one since I would think the post office would be a plum job.

I pay my yard clean up guy $20 per hour because he works fast and hard. He also supervises his crew and makes sure they work fast and hard. Well worth it for my not having to supervise him or them. He has a day job (so not a pot user). This is just supplemental income but there is more than a few of us in the neighborhood who use him because of his great reputation.

When I hire handymen they generally charge $25 per hour which seems fair when they know what they are doing, bring their own tools and need minimal supervision (work fast and hard). Hard to find someone skilled in this area though so I usually get what my friends and I call 'husband quality' work vs. professional quality.

I pay my house cleaner $100 every other week. There are two people and I think my house takes about 2.5 hrs. So that works out to about $20/hr. But they might be here 3 hrs. I'm not really sure.

Just some ideas of low paying jobs and what the rate is here.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:47 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinbass View Post
I originally got the associates in Criminal Justice and....
We have at least TEN prisons in the Canon City / Florence area, including a federal supermax. Your AA in criminal justice *might* get you some work in that area. It's in an area the old timers call the banana belt due to the climate not being so frigid as elsewhere, and it's near good fishing on the Arkansas River.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver