U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 PM

7 posts, read 6,649 times

Advertisements

I, like many other DCSD parents, don't like the changes that have taken place and the direction of this district. I am seriously considering Regis, St Mary's and perhaps Valor for High School, and would like to hear other people's experiences with these or other nearby private highschools (Machebeuf, Denver Christian, etc.). It is important for this Highschool to have electives in Health Sciences.

Thank you!

Last edited by J_A_M; 02-02-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 07:57 PM

14,013 posts, read 20,317,250 times
Kent
Colorado Academy

Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 PM

10,903 posts, read 29,383,051 times
Have you looked into the health science technology program? It's the joint program with Douglas, Littleton & Cherry Creek schools? It is housed at the Ames school in Littleton. The high schoolers get college credit from a college in high school program at ACC.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Have you looked into the health science technology program? It's the joint program with Douglas, Littleton & Cherry Creek schools? It is housed at the Ames school in Littleton. The high schoolers get college credit from a college in high school program at ACC.
I never heard about the Ames school in Littleton, or the ACC program. My daughter is interested in Medicine ( the doctor part, not the technological aspect). I am not particularly looking at the private-only option, and could move to LPS or CCSD as well.

Thank you.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:58 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,901,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_A_M View Post
I never heard about the Ames school in Littleton, or the ACC program. My daughter is interested in Medicine ( the doctor part, not the technological aspect). I am not particularly looking at the private-only option, and could move to LPS or CCSD as well.

Thank you.
I understand your reticence to send your daughter to DCSD schools. I am not a fan of DCSD.

Cherry Creek High School is full and does not offer open enrollment to students who are out of district. Other CCSD high schools do -- Grandview and Cherokee Trail are closest to Douglas County.

Although you daughter is interested in medicine, she does not need to start her medical studies in high school. Assuming she has not entered high school yet, she has 8 years before she'll start medical school -- a lot can change between now and then. Focus on getting a good, solid high school education so she can enter a good college where she can focus on another four years of education to earn a degree and she can apply to medical school.

See if she likes Arapahoe HS. That school is excellent and is open to out of district students. Private schools are also good, but none of them are worth the money if she can get into Arapahoe.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 AM

599 posts, read 835,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_A_M View Post
I, like many other DCSD parents, don't like the changes that have taken place and the direction of this district.

Thank you!

What? You think your future doctor needs to know about evolution? Blasphemy!

For those who aren't following the action, the DCSD school board was taken over by right-wing fundamentalists, and they are now proceeding to dismantle the district. Teachers are leaving in droves.

Sadly, the same group has taken over Jeffco. Both of these formerly fine districts are in the process of being flushed down the crapper.

J_A_M, Boulder Valley is still safe and sane, but I guess you would have to move. You don't actually have to live in Boulder to go to Fairview which is on the far south end of Boulder, since they usually have openings for open enrollment from out of district, but that ship has sailed for next year. Monarch is another great school, but I'm not sure they usually have room for open enrollment. There are many students bailing out of Jeffco and open enrolling into BVSD. Unfortunately, I think most districts have already closed open enrollment for fall. If you think you might go this route, call the schools you are interested in ASAP, like right now.

Open enrollment in BVSD starts in December and runs through the middle of January usually, but of course you would want to check that.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 AM

10,903 posts, read 29,383,051 times
Do yourself a favor and call the school. Speak with your kids counselor. Both my daughters went through the program. First daughter wanted to be a phycians assistant the other is still in the program and wants to be a nurse.

I do not think a private school could compare.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 AM

I would consider moving to AHS or CCHS boundaries ( other side of Countyline, close to Park Meadows area where I work), but BVSD isn't going to work. I am looking also forward to reading about people that took/take their students to private Highschools since I only know DCSD ( and am not comfortable with the Highschools path).

Regarding Ames, what do they teach there?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
I agree with those who say that it is not necessary for a high school student to start their medical education in 9th grade. In fact, you can't do that. It may be good for a HS student to get some exposure to the health care field, but really, to become an MD, PA or RN one basically needs good HS grades to get into a good college program.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 AM

Default Anybody with students that attend a private High school?

I would like to know your opinion regarding Regis Jesuit, Valor, and other "south" private Highschools. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or