U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 PM

48 posts, read 70,505 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My boyfriend and I are considering a move to Denver or Boulder next summer. I will have an associate's degree in Entrepreneurial Business and he will almost be done with a bachelor's in Broadcasting, both degrees from the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

We are wondering whether to enroll at CU Boulder or CU Denver. I have done some research on each, and the general opinion seems to be that CU Boulder is a better school, but more expensive. I am looking for a strong business program and he is looking for a strong film/television production/broadcasting program. He wants to write and direct movies and I am looking to solidify my knowledge to open a bar/music venue. I also want to consider which degree would look better when I am applying for loans at banks to start my business.

With these considerations in mind, which school would be better for each of us?

Thanks so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 PM

569 posts, read 1,049,706 times
CU Boulder is the better school overall and provides the more typical residential college experience. However, CU Denver has a much better program for film and television production. I think CU Boulder has slight edge in business, but it really depends on what you want to focus on in your major/career. Some of the faculty at the CU Denver Business School are quite outstanding. I think CU Denver offers better opportunities for internships/professional development opportunities that will serve you well after graduation. The downside is that CU Denver is a commuter school, so you don't get the strong campus culture that Boulder is so well known for.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,921,880 times
Unless it's changed, film studies and broadcasting are not only two different majors but are in two entirely different schools within the University of Colorado Boulder: Film Studies and (currently soon to be officially renamed) Journalism and Mass communication.

Rankings aren't everything, of course, still the gold standard MBA measurement... CU Boulder ranks 79th for business, CU Denver is unranked. MBA ranking reflects on the undergrad program certainly. Both programs are good ones though.

Have you ever heard of Colorado Film School? It was recently rated one of the top 25-rated film schools in the country. Pretty cool. I hadn't heard of it 'til recently.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,902,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Unless it's changed, film studies and broadcasting are not only two different majors but are in two entirely different schools within the University of Colorado Boulder: Film Studies and (currently soon to be officially renamed) Journalism and Mass communication.

Rankings aren't everything, of course, still the gold standard MBA measurement... CU Boulder ranks 79th for business, CU Denver is unranked. MBA ranking reflects on the undergrad program certainly. Both programs are good ones though.

Have you ever heard of Colorado Film School? It was recently rated one of the top 25-rated film schools in the country. Pretty cool. I hadn't heard of it 'til recently.

Actually that is a top 25 in the world ranking...

CFS is a wonderful secret for people wanting to pursue the film business. I know several kids who have attended and loved the program. It is not a graduate program though, so it would not be an extension of the degree from UNO.

Last edited by davidv; 02-08-2014 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver