U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:19 PM

80 posts, read 358,656 times

Advertisements

Just relocated from Boston area and was wondering if there were any authentic Italian restaurants? Old world type that might serve a real chicken marsala or even tripe.
We are in the Highlands Ranch area and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 06:26 PM

86,816 posts, read 102,118,974 times
Pagliacci's (sp?) in NW Denver is one of the oldest around.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,287,955 times
Paggliacci's would not serve either of those dishes, I think. Most of the older ones are the 50's style Italian. There are upscale Italian restaurants but I don't think you will find tripe--it's used primarily around here for a Mexican soup with hominy.

Pasquinni's on south broadway is one of our favorites, and there are a number of others. downtown is expensive, northwest inexpensive, and forgive me, but the south suburbs are mostly chains. Try "insidedenver.com" for other restaurant info.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 PM

86,816 posts, read 102,118,974 times
You're probably right about Pagliacci's. It's mostly a pizza joint. There is a Pasquini's in Louisville. It's rather informal, too.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,492,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anncat View Post
Just relocated from Boston area and was wondering if there were any authentic Italian restaurants? Old world type that might serve a real chicken marsala or even tripe.
We are in the Highlands Ranch area and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Chicken and/veal Marsala is very standard in Italian Restaurants, all over the country. I know of no restaurant to recommend, since I consider it a very common simple dish and is available in many restaurants.

Tripe is another story. I have never seen it on a Italian Menu, certainly not in Denver. Tripe was prevalent more traditionally in Northern Italy and most immigrants to this country are from the south. In Europe tripe, like many organ meats were considered more of a delicacy but in the US, it has changed to a dish for the poor. Tripe you would see in French restaurants, here, in the style of Caen.

I am sure you found it in Boston. Denver is not quite at the level of restaurants in that city. Italian food here was the traditional red sauce, lasagna, and meatballs. It was never a fine Italian Dining area. Dining of Course have changed somewhat in Denver but the native ethnic community was not in more complicated dishes. Many of the Immigrants who came to Denver were from Potenza, which is in the south.

It is interesting that tripe in common in Mexican eateries in Denver because again, these type of organ meats have been relegated to the diet of the poor in the US and Mexico. I think most affluent people do not want to eat it; with the exception of gourmands and people like yourself who have sophisticated tastes.

I am a New Yorker of Sicilian extraction I lived and worked in NYC and I never saw it on an Italian restaurant but I can remember old relatives bragging about it and capozzella (lamb head).

Livecontent
Graduate, The Culinary Institute of America

Note of Interest: Marsala comes from the Arabs who conquered Sicily--they saw a beautiful bay and the called it the "Sea of Alla"---Mars-ala.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:55 PM

249 posts, read 936,202 times
I'm not an expert on Italian by any means, but I'll throw out some favorites that you may want to try, but certainly aren't necessary "old school" italian.

I second Pagliacci's - they're known for their minestrone
Patsy's
Three Sons
Parisi
Osteria Marco - great new place in LoDo
Stella's in the Highlands (not the coffee shop) is excellent, but definitely not traditional, but delicious nonetheless. probably my favorite
Magianno's is good, but it's a national chain.
Luca d'Italia and Mizuna, both excellent and very pricey

Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenfromdenver View Post
I'm not an expert on Italian by any means, but I'll throw out some favorites that you may want to try, but certainly aren't necessary "old school" italian.

I second Pagliacci's - they're known for their minestrone
Patsy's
Three Sons
Parisi
Osteria Marco - great new place in LoDo
Stella's in the Highlands (not the coffee shop) is excellent, but definitely not traditional, but delicious nonetheless. probably my favorite
Magianno's is good, but it's a national chain.
Luca d'Italia and Mizuna, both excellent and very pricey
wow, you are an amazing women. You, sure know much about the dining scene in Denver. We have get you a job as a restaurant critic.

Livecontent

Old 12-01-2007, 10:11 PM

249 posts, read 936,202 times
There's a name for people like me in the book, The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell. Admittedly, I didn't finish the book it was more about marketing than I expected and less about social epidemics than I had hoped. Anyway, according to this book, I'm a "maven." It comes from the Yiddish and means one who accumulates knowledge. To quote, "the critical thing about Mavens, though, is that they aren't passive collectors of information. It isn't just that they are obsessed with how to get the best deal on a can of coffee. What sets them apart is that once they figure out how to get that deal, they want to tell you about it too." I'm a weirdo basically, but I love finding where the best things are and sharing what I discover. I guess that's why I found this site!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenfromdenver View Post
There's a name for people like me in the book, The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell. Admittedly, I didn't finish the book it was more about marketing than I expected and less about social epidemics than I had hoped. Anyway, according to this book, I'm a "maven." It comes from the Yiddish and means one who accumulates knowledge. To quote, "the critical thing about Mavens, though, is that they aren't passive collectors of information. It isn't just that they are obsessed with how to get the best deal on a can of coffee. What sets them apart is that once they figure out how to get that deal, they want to tell you about it too." I'm a weirdo basically, but I love finding where the best things are and sharing what I discover. I guess that's why I found this site!!!
Well, whatever you call yourself, keep posting. I enjoy what you have to say. I believe you know more about restaurants in Denver then I do; even though I went to school and worked many years in the food industry.

I do not dine out much anymore as disability and finances have limited my choices and I am bored with most restaurants; I am cheap and can make most food better myself, and it has to something exciting for me to dine out. I think it is that I have seen too much of the food business and I am not awed by the "flash in the pans".

Livecontent

Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,505,110 times
You would think that there would be tons of places to eat that are local to Denver based on these facts:

- 200,000 Italian Americans live in Colorado.
- First in Colorado: Mid 1800's
- In 1922 Italian Americans made up 22% of the population in Denver
- North Denver was known as, "little Italy."

You will find this video from channel 9 interesting, it talks about food -

[SIZE=2]Kyle Dyer takes a look at the history of Italian-Americans in Denver. 9NEWS 11/13/07[/SIZE]

I am a native and attended Junior High at Lake Jr. High school and went to school with many Italians from the Highlands area. Here are some of my local favorite places since Mike Barardi's and Dario's closed (call ahead to check prices and availability at those with an asterik next to them):

Carmines on Penn.*
Pagliacci's Italian Restaurant, 1440 W 33rd Ave Denver
Campo De Fiori, 300 Fillmore St. *
Josephina's Ristorante, 1433 Larimer St *
Luca d' Italia, 711 Grant *
and around the corner from Luca is Mizuna *(both great but on the higher end monetarily)
Cucina Colore, 3041 E 3rd Ave*
Piatti, 190 Saint Paul St *
Stella's in the West Highlands (32nd and Lowell, roughly)
Three Sons, 2915 W 44th Ave
North, 190 Clayton Ln *
Parisi, 4401 Tennyson St *
Gaetano's, 3760 Tejon St
Pasquini's Pizzeria, two locations - one on Broadway and one on 17th
Barolo Grill, 3030 E 6th Ave *
Cafe Colore, 1512 Larimer St

Chains:

Buca di Beppo, 1400 Market St (another one is in Aspen Grove on Santa Fe)
Carrabba's Italian Grill
Il Fornaio, Wazee location in LODO *
Johnny Carinos Italian Kitchen
Maggianos Little Italy, Pavillions on the 16th Mall, but another is off I-25 by Park Meadows Mall

Hope this helps and Welcome to Denver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or