Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 03:22 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehautemomma View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a sibling into Challenge? My son just started and I love it so far and would like for my daughter to get in next year. I've noticed several families have multiple kids enrolled and I was hoping to be one of them next year.

Thanks in advance for the insight!
You probably have already applied and gotten her in? In any case just be involved with your son and the school. They don't want to talk about the inclusion criteria but they definitely want more of the involved families at Challenge. If your daughter has good test scores and recommendations she's already lumped in the top group to be selected (highly achieving w/ sibling). The only reason they would turn that down is if it's a tough grade level to enter due to lack of turn-over and high application rate. Like others have said, just keep trying. A motivated kid will thrive no matter where he or she goes. Good luck and maybe I'll see you around at Challenge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,532 times
Hi all,
I was actually a student at Challenge and I really loved it there. I was accepted when I was in 1st grade, so I started in 2nd, and I went all the way up to 8th grade. The teachers were great and they really bumped my academics to my highest potential. You know, not trying to especially stress anyone out, just really encouraging their students to do their best. The student community is great. Your child will be with kids that are just as gifted as him/her. None of my friends were slackers in any way, they all strived to do their best. My sister was also accepted into Challenge as a kindergartener, and I'm pretty sure if your older child is a good student then the younger will follow their example. Most of the sibling families have all their kids in Challenge.
The downside is that Challenge has no band or orchestra. Or sports, for that matter. But most of the kids also play a sport or instrument and they do clubs or activities on their own, outside of school.
Something really interesting is that we do Immersions, and that's something we do every fall and spring for a week each. The students pick a class that they want to "immerse" themselves in, and that's what they do. It's quite similar to Cherry Creek's "Inside Out", if you've ever heard of that. That used to be a special thing that only Challenge did but unfortunately Quest also decided to copy us and make their own program called Immersions. Great name, Quest.
This is really long. But I'd like to emphasize that if your child really loves to give everything their best, and they are above grade level, they will really love Challenge. I personally was gifted in math, and even though everyone else was pretty much a grade or two ahead, I got to go at my own pace, about 3 grade levels ahead. (By the way, people are very VERY competitive, but they all encourage one another, isn't that strange?)
All in all, if your child gets into Challenge I'd highly recommend it, as an alumni and a critic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver