Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:19 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think it's obvious that LA's freeways can't handle the volume.
And yet you want Denver to go down the same road and build more freeways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
It just needs to be done sensibly. Like C-470 for example, it's pretty obvious that at least from E-470 to Kipling it needs to be 3 lanes

Old 02-20-2014, 03:04 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
It just needs to be done sensibly. Like C-470 for example, it's pretty obvious that at least from E-470 to Kipling it needs to be 3 lanes
That's what I'm saying. LA metro has something like 18 million people. Denver is only 3 million. We shouldn't be sitting in traffic as bad as LA. And it wouldn't take turning every freeway into 10 lanes to make traffic flow easier.

I've heard the "toll lane" remedy tossed around for C470, which I don't agree with. I don't want every freeway here to be tolls!

Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
And yet you want Denver to go down the same road and build more freeways?
If you widen freeways in Denver, it won't cause 15 million people to move here. Denver's much smaller, but having only 2 lanes in each direction is ridiculous. If you go to Kansas City, their freeways flow much better than Denver's, but they don't have 2 lane freeways in congested areas. And they only have about 2 million in the metro area. Considereing KC is in 2 conservative states, they seem to come up with the cash (and not via outrageous tolls) to keep freeways in great condition and able to handle the load.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's what I'm saying. LA metro has something like 18 million people. Denver is only 3 million. We shouldn't be sitting in traffic as bad as LA. And it wouldn't take turning every freeway into 10 lanes to make traffic flow easier.

I've heard the "toll lane" remedy tossed around for C470, which I don't agree with. I don't want every freeway here to be tolls!
Got bad news for ya then. CDOT's facing a $2.8 - $4.3 billion shortfall over the next 10 years (depending on what percentage of the roads they want in "good" condition). They're already planning to add privatized toll lanes to I-25, I-70, and C-470. They likely won't be adding any new "free" lanes, either.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 02-20-2014 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Changed deficit amount to range.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's the outer-lying suburbs that have a problem, and that's where the population growth is happening. Sadly, people who move to the exurbs aren't typically interested in small, xeriscaped yards. They want big houses and, more importantly, land.
You have to get pretty far out to get big yards. Way up in Adams County there are some big lot neighborhoods. Even there, people let most of it grow up in grass/weeds. I've heard there are some big lots around Roxborough Park and Castle Pines, too, can't verify. Everything new here in Louisville/Lafayette is being built on small lots.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Got bad news for ya then. CDOT's facing a $6 billion shortfall over the next 10 years. They're already planning to add privatized toll lanes to I-25, I-70, and C-470. They likely won't be adding any new "free" lanes, either.
Oh, that's just great. Now we'll have even more people cutting through my residential neighborhood.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You have to get pretty far out to get big yards. Way up in Adams County there are some big lot neighborhoods. Even there, people let most of it grow up in grass/weeds. I've heard there are some big lots around Roxborough Park and Castle Pines, too, can't verify. Everything new here in Louisville/Lafayette is being built on small lots.
The eastern and south sides of Castle Rock have plenty of large lots. Midwesterners move in looking to re-create the expansive yards they left behind and nearly have a heart attack when the first summer water bill arrives. I rented a house down there for awhile after relocating to Colorado, and I was thrilled to leave the expanse of green behind for a much smaller yard.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The eastern and south sides of Castle Rock have plenty of large lots. Midwesterners move in looking to re-create the expansive yards they left behind and nearly have a heart attack when the first summer water bill arrives. I rented a house down there for awhile after relocating to Colorado, and I was thrilled to leave the expanse of green behind for a much smaller yard.
Interesting. My DD lived in the Meadows in CR and had a postage stamp sized yard. She did back/side to open space on two sides, though.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Interesting. My DD lived in the Meadows in CR and had a postage stamp sized yard. She did back/side to open space on two sides, though.
Yes, the Meadows offers smaller lots than the east and south sides of town. I was up on the ridge, and the lots were more generous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver