U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:06 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,490,262 times

Advertisements

This is the listing of TV channels that I receive in my house in Arvada over a digital TV. I have an indoor flat type antenna with signal amplifiers attached. I never have to reposition the antenna for each channel. Once the optimum spot is found, all the channels I have listed I can receive clearly. I am providing this list to just let people know that free TV is readily available over the air in the Denver area. It is required by the feds to broadcast local channels Over The Air (OTC).

For those who are not aware and/or are lied by the paid TV folks, Full Hi definition is broadcast over the air at 1080 resolution and 720 which is also consider Hi definition. Hi definition TV was available first from OTC before it was broadcast by paid providers. It is excellent quality and crystal clear.

Keep in mind to get Hi definition you must have a new digital TV. You cannot get it through a converter box. Also trying to get OTC is possible through the converter box but you will not achieve as many stations as the converter box degrades the signals.

This information is for those who need or want to save money; do not watch that much TV and do need to pay for TV. The amount and quality that is transmitted OTC is much greater than basic cable TV which and has hi definition which basic cable does not provide. Also, it is free.

This is not for everyone because some what to watch specific paid sports or the paid movie channels. Many people like much more TV channels. Also some need paid TV to get any reception.

The reception of TV dependent on how far you are away from the transmission sites. Many of the sites are on Lookout Mountain (Site of Buffalo Bill's Grave) west of Denver, overlooking Golden. I get a good signal because I am near enough to that mountain. If you live farther away then you would need a stronger antenna and perhaps an outdoor antenna.

I do not watch too much TV. I have never had cable or satellite TV. I grew up with only 2 channels, then 3 then it went to 5 when I left home to go in the Army. Most people would not even know (unless they are older) that early TV did not have UHF channels, only VHF channels 2-13, and when UHF was available in the mid 1950s, an extra UHF box was connected to the old TV sets; then new TVs were sold with UHF. So, having hundreds of channels never appealed to me.

I really do not care for much on TV but I do enjoy Public TV channels, especially those of an international origin. I spend more time reading books and ebooks. In addition, I get all the news information from the web. Much TV and movies are broadcast over the web but that does not really appeal to me. I more enjoy listening to BBC radio, Deutsche Welle, Radio France, world public radio and old time radio on the web.

This list includes many channels I would not watch as the christian channels or shopping channels or the Hispanic broadcasts but some of the Hispanic channels are very good. Many times the christian channels have good movies and shows instead of beating the bible over your head. So ignoring those, I get about 27 channels that I would perhaps watch which are more than enough for me. All these channels are clearly received in my house.

What is not divulged by the garbage TV listings in the newspaper, is that digital TV stations are split into subchannels which offer more broadcast capabilities. This you can see from my listing. I suspect because the local TV stations do not want to let you know too much as they make more money selling their broadcast to cable and satellite and prefer not to encourage free OTC viewing. You will see that there are weather channels, movie channels and extensive public TV. I like the 12.3 which brings in many international feeds from Europe, Japan and China.

I have noticed over the last year, that many more channels have been added. Channel 14.3, GetTV, is a new movie channel from SONY. Many of these channels are not even available from the paid providers. There are other channels also available but I am only listing those I get from my house in Arvada. The descriptions may be not be totally correct as I have not found any TV listings, including TV Guide, that has all the possible stations listed that are broadcasted in this area. I would have to research each channel separately and this is what I perceive from their broadcasts.

I hope this information helps many and lets newcomers know that it is not necessary to pay for TV.

Livecontent

2.1 CW, Local Station
2,2 ThisTV, Movie Channel
4.1 CBS, Local Station
6.1 Public TV, Local Station
6.2 Hispanic and Audio News for the Blind
6.3 Public TV Create
7.1 ABC , Local Station
7.2 Hispanic Azteca
7.4 24/7 ABC, Weather
9.1 NBC, Local Station
9.2 Weather
10.1 Christian Lesea
10.2 Advertising
10.3 Christian
10.4 Christian
10.5 Christian
12.1 Public TV, Local Station
12.2 Public TV, Local Station
12.3 Public TV, Local Station, International Feeds
14,1 Hispanic
14.2 Bounc, Movies
14.3 GetTV, Sony Movie Archives
16.1 QVC, Shopping
16.2 Shopping
16.3 Advertising
16.4 Movies, old TV
16.5 Movies, old TV
20.1 Local Station, MyTV
20.2 MeTV, old TV
23.1 Christian, Catholic
26.1 QVC, Shopping
26.2 Shopping
26.3 Advertising
26.4 Shopping
26.5 Movies, old TV
28.1 HSN, Shopping
28.2 Movies, old TV
28.4 Music Video
28.5 TV Channel Listing Guide
31.1 FOX, Local Station
31.2 Antenna TV, old TV, Movies
38.1 Christian
38.2 Christian
38.3. Music Videos, Comedy
38.4 Hispanic Christian
38.5 Movies, old TV, Crafts
39.1 Hispanic, Fox, Movies
41.1 Christian
50.2 Christian
50.3 Christian
50.4 Hispanic Christian
50.5 Hispanic
50.6 Christian
53.1 Hispanic
53.2 Christian
59.1 ION, Local Station
59.2 Qubo, Children, Animation
59.3 ION Live, Reality Shows
59.4 Shopping
59.5 HSN, Shopping

Last edited by livecontent; 03-30-2014 at 12:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:40 AM

2,590 posts, read 5,977,238 times
This may be an odd question from a techno-idiot - how do you tune in/receive these channels/subchannels?

I use an over the air indoor antenna, nothing fancy, works fine to get NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, PBS etc., but how do I get my remotewhatever to find the subchannels?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
This may be an odd question from a techno-idiot - how do you tune in/receive these channels/subchannels?

I use an over the air indoor antenna, nothing fancy, works fine to get NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, PBS etc., but how do I get my remotewhatever to find the subchannels?
If your TV has scanned these channels, then your remote should be able to be able to see them by moving up and down through the channels or you can manual enter the subchannels in the number keyboard on the remote as 3.1. Modern Remotes have a period "." capability.

However, if your TV has not picked up these channels after a scan, then they cannot be accessed. You need to do a number of scans to periodically bring in new channels. You should not rely only on the one initial scan when you set up your new TV. More than likely, you never did any other scans as many of these subchannels are new.

You will also have the ability to scan for analog channels, there are some low power ones in the area, but I would not bother.

I am certainly no media hound who understands all the TV techno nonsense but this is the basic instructions for scanning and bringing in channels.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-30-2014 at 11:15 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 11:29 AM

2,590 posts, read 5,977,238 times
Thanks for the helpful explanation.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM

9,109 posts, read 16,998,724 times
Also some side band channel are not 24x7. Some go off air at times, to provide additional channel frequency space to the main and or one of the other side band to run HD.

So if you scan when they are off-air you will not get them.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Also some side band channel are not 24x7. Some go off air at times, to provide additional channel frequency space to the main and or one of the other side band to run HD.

So if you scan when they are off-air you will not get them.
Very good point as you are obviously well informed. Yes, that is an issue I neglected to mention.

In addition, I have found that I find more stations when I scan during the night vs.during a sunny day, perhaps because the ceiling bounce is higher for an effective signal due to the minimal solar ionization. Also, I would perceive that the broadcasters would not to take the bandwidth at night because they would tend to broadcast HD during the most viewable and advertising marketable hours in the evening. Maybe I know what I am talking about or maybe not but that seems to be the case if I scan at night.

Livecontent

Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,807,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
perhaps because the ceiling bounce is higher for an effective signal due to the minimal solar ionization.
The VHF and UHF frequencies of TV signals travel via ground wave. Rarely, the low VHF channels (2-6) have some ionospheric propagation - F layer when the sunspots are really cooking and E layer, primarily during the summer months. However, these ionospheric propagated signals typically travel hundreds of miles rather than extending the range of a borderline (50-100 miles) ground wave signal.

Also, HD pictures are higher quality when received over the over-the-air vs. via cable (or satellite) because the cable companies compress the signals, causing them to lose resolution - similar to a JPG compressed still picture.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
The VHF and UHF frequencies of TV signals travel via ground wave. Rarely, the low VHF channels (2-6) have some ionospheric propagation - F layer when the sunspots are really cooking and E layer, primarily during the summer months. However, these ionospheric propagated signals typically travel hundreds of miles rather than extending the range of a borderline (50-100 miles) ground wave signal.

Also, HD pictures are higher quality when received over the over-the-air vs. via cable (or satellite) because the cable companies compress the signals, causing them to lose resolution - similar to a JPG compressed still picture.
Another great post from a knowledgeable person. I always knew that OTC HD was better than cable but I did not understand the reason.

Thanks,

Livecontent

Old 04-01-2014, 04:06 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,983,462 times
Great post! We've been cable-free for over 3 years now and don't regret it at all.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 PM

189 posts, read 192,158 times
I highly recommend this Terk if one needs to go indoor:

Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics

It was my 3rd or 4th try and the best of all of them.

I am in 80127 and as Livecontent said it is pointed towards Lookout Mountain.

A great site is:

AntennaWeb - Home

Enter your address and it will give you distance and direction in degrees to help with your set up. It will list the channels that are available to you.

Great post. I am a big OTA advocate and internet advocate. I have a mac mini hooked up to my TV so my TV is basically a computer. I watch many things on streaming sites or hulu. But mostly OTA. My outlay was around $850 but it was so many years ago it has paid for itself.

If you go with a Mac set up you can purchase software called EyeTv for DVR purposes. Even though OTA channels are few I still record lots of stuff. I love channel 6.3…. Create from Rocky Mountain PBS. Lots of cooking shows. And regular PBS has lots of great shows too!

EyeTV 3 | elgato.com

Basically the software runs on their little box, about the size of a deck of cards, that you hook to your computer. The cable in from the antenna goes into EyeTv's box, cables out from EyeTV go to the computer, cables from the computer go to the TV.

For $20 a year you can have access to an on screen guide (powered by TV Guide) that allows you to record from it. You can set series passes, one show etc…. just like a DVR. The recordings go the hard drive of your computer so you may want to spend a little more to get a bigger drive. I believe an external would work but I have such a large drive I haven't tried it.

Though I hate spending any money for TV, $20 a year is ok.

And it is much better than any DVR a cable company can give you. You can do cool things with editing, burning, etc to programs. And supposedly you can watch what is on your eyetv "DVR" on your iPhone/ipad I've never done it. When I am away from home I don't want to watch TV. LOL.

Another thing I LOVE about EyeTv is that you can resize the viewing window (just like almost anything you watch on a computer) and set it to stay on top. Often I will surf the net on my TV (wireless keyboard and mouse) with an active TV window running beside it. I tend watch things that don't require 100% attention so it is nice to be able to do something while I am watching/listening.

Thanks for the great post! Hopefully I've added some more useful tidbits. The best of the best IMO is an inside attic or garage antenna. I had one in my previous home and loved it. Nice that it is hidden away. The Terk is kinda ugly sitting in the living room but it's free TV. Also, I guess one could make their neighbors angry and go for the full roof one like the old days.

Last edited by tcbelvis; 04-01-2014 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or