Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:22 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times

Advertisements

Map of Denver neighborhoods.

Moved thread from the Boulder forum to the Denver forum where the OP will find more affordable housing that's much closer to work.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
I am a disabled veteran and I have a need to get to the VA hospital. It is easy enough to get there at the current location, 9th and Colorado but the new one is way out there in Aurora. The neighborhood around the new hospital is not the best and that is why there are many request from professionals close for good places to live.

Actually the area around the current hospital is nice and has good amenities. The old campus has just started redevelopment into a new urban village, which will eventually provide good housing, even for the those at Anshutz, as it is not that far away.

Many people like the Stapleton development on the old airport, as the closest and best place to live. I

I know you say you want to drive but taking the new rail to this campus will be ideal and very quick. With the new east heavy rail line and the extension of the light rail up 225, this campus will be well served. It also opens up new places for people to live that becomes a virtual close neighborhood.

I have lived and worked in NYC and Europe and used good public transit, especially by rail. Rail gives distance another meaning; as distance is not only measured by actual distance but how that distance can be covered consistently fast and safe. Saying all that, I would take in account all this public transit that will open in 2016.
RTD

Livecontact

Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCO5280 View Post
all within walking distance.
Liberals also.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:04 PM

7 posts, read 9,552 times
Wow, wong21fr. That's a pretty comprehensive list. Thanks!

Last edited by Thinkerist; 03-31-2014 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Cut and pasted URL of name. Tried to paste just the name

Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Although Stapleton isn't the "heart of Denver", it is convenient to the health science center and I know people who work there (HSC) that live in Stapleton.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
I live in Stapleton and it's maybe 10-15 min. from the current VA location, 5 min. (or 15 min. bike ride) from the new location when it opens. Stapleton is full of people who work at the Anschutz campus, and liberal. It's "new urbanism", and still has areas under construction. If you're looking for a condo or townhouse, you could fprobably find that on the west end of Stapleton near the 29th Ave. town center, where there are restaurants, coffe, groceries, etc.

If you prefer a much more urban lifestyle, look at the Uptown neighborhood, along 17th Ave., just east of downtown Denver. You'll find a lot of new/newer condos mixed in with the old. Very walkable neighborhood, tons of restaurants, bars, nightlife, etc. and still not a bad drive to the VA.

Condos/townhomes in either location will prbably run you over $300K. Maybe under if you find a 1 bdr.

All of central Denver is liberal, overall.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Snow tires are generally not needed on cars in the metro area--all weather are good enough and all wheel drive is not going to solve these problems. Some people think that if they have the biggest and baddest 4-wheel drive will be the answer--it is not.
I disagree. Snow tires (non-studded) are a godsend in bad conditions, and far more important to have than AWD. Put snows on your Accord and you can handle anything the commute throws at you.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I disagree. Snow tires (non-studded) are a godsend in bad conditions, and far more important to have than AWD. Put snows on your Accord and you can handle anything the commute throws at you.
Yea, snow tires are always better than all season in winter but I have found I do not need to have that extra expense for driving around Denver.

Perhaps there are some rare days they would be nice but as a Gentleman of Leisure who does not have to deal with bad snow days as the working classes, I stay home and do not drive.

I have not used snow tires in close to 40 years. I grew up near Buffalo, NY and I had a set for my rear wheel drive cars but with extra traction of front wheel drive, I just do not see the need. Whether they are better than AWD, I have no experiences.

Livecontent

Old 04-01-2014, 05:02 PM

356 posts, read 623,899 times
True LC- no reason to spend the extra money on snow tires when you drive Denver the majority of the time. Unless you drive the high country with regularity save the money.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:51 PM

227 posts, read 1,008,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkerist View Post
We are considering moving to Boulder because my wife and I like coffee and liberal politics .
Why not broaden your horizons? Choosing a neighborhood for political reasons seems too restrictive. Besides, if people surround themselves with people who think exactly the way they do I think it tends to make them more isolated and unable to be tolerant of people who are different. Tolerance is a good thing, and believe it or not Boulder is not as tolerant as they want people to think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver