Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,226 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted to UCD into a program which is located on the Anshutz Medical Campus in Aurora.

I have been researching the area around the campus and think I would rather live in Denver (capitol hill or lodo). I want to be able to enjoy downtown and all the perks of city living. I am in my early twenties and love Denver and Colorado in general, and have my heart set on living in Denver. I want to be near shops, restaurants, nightlife, outdoor running trails, and have access to the mountains.

- Is it safer to live in those neighborhoods in Denver compared to Aurora?
- Is 30 minutes a safe/realistic time estimate from a commuting perspective (by personal car)?
**According to the UCD website they have a bus just for students which travels between the medical and downtown campuses which could be an option instead of driving.

It seems like if I live in Denver it may make more sense to be in lodo since it is closer to the UCD downtown campus and union station.

Thoughts?!?!?! Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:00 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvk26 View Post
I was recently accepted to UCD into a program which is located on the Anshutz Medical Campus in Aurora.

I have been researching the area around the campus and think I would rather live in Denver (capitol hill or lodo). I want to be able to enjoy downtown and all the perks of city living. I am in my early twenties and love Denver and Colorado in general, and have my heart set on living in Denver. I want to be near shops, restaurants, nightlife, outdoor running trails, and have access to the mountains.

- Is it safer to live in those neighborhoods in Denver compared to Aurora?
- Is 30 minutes a safe/realistic time estimate from a commuting perspective (by personal car)?
**According to the UCD website they have a bus just for students which travels between the medical and downtown campuses which could be an option instead of driving.

It seems like if I live in Denver it may make more sense to be in lodo since it is closer to the UCD downtown campus and union station.

Thoughts?!?!?! Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated
Yes, you could get form those Denver locations to the Anschutz campus in about 30 min. (considering surface streets w/traffic). The area surrounding the campus isn't very nice, and there's nothing to do around there. Cap. Hill, LoDo, Golden Triange, Uptown would all be lively areas near a restaurants/shopping/bars.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 AM

322 posts, read 524,868 times
While I think the area around the campus is improving, the commute to Anschutz from Denver is very easy. You could also consider the Congress Park area, which is closer and the shuttle picks up at National Jewish Hospital. The RTD 20 bus stops directly in the middle of campus and crosses through Park Hill, City Park, and Uptown. The travel time from Uptown to Anschutz via bus is about 30 minutes. Stapleton could be an option that keeps you close to campus, but with easy access to Downtown amenities - less on restaurants and nightlife, but more outdoor running trails and easy freeway access to get to the mountains.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
And obviously budget would be an issue. The cheapest apartments I know of in Stapleton are around $1100 per month. Very nice apartments though.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
My older daughter lived near DU when she was going to Anschutz. There is also Wash Park, which has a lot of young adults. My younger one lived in Aurora, right across the street from the campus. It wasn't very fancy, but she was safe.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Totally reasonable. Your budget might be the only hindrance. Apartments in LoDo are ridiculously expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver