Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:58 PM

53 posts, read 175,803 times

Advertisements

I hate them. They're nasty ugly looking little critters...yuck!!

So are there any in downtown Denver; namely the Washington Park (around E. Alameda & S. Lincolin)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 08:27 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,446 times
In all the years I have lived in Colorado including some pretty borderline apartments during college I have never seen a single cochroach. I have seen an occassional spider but due to the climate we don't tend to have many bugs here!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,391 times
I have been in Colorado since 1971 and have never seen roaches or heard of them. We do have ants, some harmless beetles, and mosquitos in wet areas but compared to the midwest and other areas, "no" bugs. The ground freezes too hard in the winter for that sort of thing to survive.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:06 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Exclamation Beware They Are Here

Roaches are everywhere, sight unseen, moving quietly when you dream.
Roaches can be anywhere found, even though they make not a sound.
Roaches spread and breed, in the walls, in the kitchen, you think clean.
Roaches are in the city of Mile Hi, it makes no difference, they love pie.
Roaches hide in the Plains and Mountains lands, look in your garbage cans.
Roaches reach the Colorado heights, they will be there, they claim the rights.

CockRoaches are where you least expect,
if you do not watch, they will crawl up your neck.

Livecontent, Arvada, Colorado

Old 12-07-2007, 09:07 PM

77 posts, read 127,422 times
I have lived in CO for 17 years and fortunately have only had one run in with Roaches since moving here. I lived in an apartment and one of my neighbors was storing trash in his living room which created a breeding ground for them. They do exist in CO but I think they are brought in from out of state in most cases. One thing we have alot of or maybe just where I live is ALOT of spiders. Not sure what type but we have them inluding black widows.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:38 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
I have been in Colorado since 1971 and have never seen roaches or heard of them. We do have ants, some harmless beetles, and mosquitos in wet areas but compared to the midwest and other areas, "no" bugs. The ground freezes too hard in the winter for that sort of thing to survive.
Wrong, Wrong, Nonsense Who are you kidding?? Read my Poem because you are wrong. They are here, they are everywhere man has settled because roaches are good at being stowaways. It has nothing to do with the ground freezing in the winter, there are colder places than Colorado and they exist. OK, they may not exist on top of the highest peaks but man does not either. They live in your abode, they breed in the buildings, there are inside roaches and outside roaches, they like all environments, just like humans.

Seriously, I have been in enough restaurants, hotels, warehouses, houses, offices and I have seen them with my own eyes right here in Colorado, yes, our lovely paradise. I have worked with enough exterminators to know that they are here.

I was in the Antarctic and I never saw them there--outside. But I would bet if they were transporting in a heated cargo container on a plane or a freighter and were immediately transferred to a heated inside--then they exist but they do not come to you when you call---here roach...here roach.......we are here in the little red parkas....

I remember when I became the Chef at a Hilton in Colorado. We were remodeling the kitchen, we took away this big stainless steel counter and underneath, scurrying for cover were the little buggers--and not so little.

There are many things happening in the night that you are not aware exist., Booo, Booo, Bo_ooooo, Beware.

Now, you can say you heard of them.

Livecontent

Old 12-07-2007, 11:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
There are roaches in Colorado. Most are the little German cockroaches, but the big ol' American cockroach can be found here, as well. Roaches are not as common in Colorado as they are in many places, but to think that they are not here is silly. I was at the State Capitol a few years ago at a meeting in the old Supreme Court chambers. The exterminators had just gone through and the little dead and dying critters were everywhere in that room. It sounded like you were walking on potato chips. I wouldn't even set my briefcase down on the floor. Yes, the State Capitol. (And, no, before someone comes up with the wisecrack, the Legislature was NOT in session.)

Old 12-08-2007, 03:05 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
LOL! Bad information above. Roaches are everywhere, including Denver. You won't find them typically the size of the "palmetto" bug in the southern states, which are the three to four inch flying roaches, but they are here. We have fire ants that can swarm you if you are not careful of where you stand, our beetles are eatting most of our pine trees in the mountains - very harmful, and the mosquitos can carry west nile, we had the highest infection rates when west nile first arrived in the U.S. I live about a 1/2 mile north of Alameda and Lincoln and do not have roaches because I have always had cats. Roaches avoid cats for some reason. In the spring and summer, avoid areas that have stagnant water as that is prime breeding grounds for mosquitos and increases the chances for contracting west nile. The winter freezes do help keep our bug population down but they are never completely killed off. Their larva can be frozen and come to life once the spring thaw occurs.

Sadly, we would need a freeze of 30 below for 2 - 3 consistent weeks to kill of the beetles that are eatting our pine trees, but that is not going to happen. The beetle kill is expected to effect every state from Canada to Mexico. Historically, the Rocky Mountains have a massive wild fire that occurs every 100 years and kills off the beetles, and trees to allow for new growth. It has been 150 years since such a fire due to fire fighting efforts. Property owners and business owners in Grand Lake and Gramby are the individuals who have informed me of this and are aware of the inevitable.

More then you probably asked for but bad information causes misguidance. The winter time here can be a headache with the dry air and driving occassionally in the snow, but minus the bugs during this season - it is well worth it!

Old 12-08-2007, 06:14 PM

18,012 posts, read 27,456,617 times
When I lived in Denver there was this friend of mine that lived in the apartments near 64th and Lowell and I saw a roach scurry under the couch.

Granted, it was a little one. Nothing compared to the ones I've seen in California, Texas, Florida (they've got Palmetto Bugs, they're these huge roaches with wings! Yuck!), Mexico, etc.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:32 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
Never seen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver