U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Evergreen, CO
26 posts, read 42,637 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

Hey all,
Thanks in advance for your advice. My husband has a great job offer in the DTC (S. Syracuse Way/south of Orchard Rd). We live in Evergreen and like the sense of community here, but are seriously considering a move 'down the hill' for career advancement. We keep driving around the neighborhoods near DTC and can't find anything that feels like home. We are really struggling with this! We like the homes in the mature/established neighborhoods in Greenwood Village, Heritage Hills, etc. Our budget is 500-600k. But we just can't seem to grasp what life would be like for us there. We have 2 kids (5 and 3), 2 dogs, we like participating in community events, a close-nit christian church, we like our pool and social membership at Hiwan CC (laid back and family friendly), we like eating out at local restaurants and shopping local, listening to live music at the Little Bear and at the summer concerts at the Lakehouse, we like bumping into people we know, riding bikes, hiking/walking on gentle kid-friendly trails, using our camper on the weekends and my in-laws house near WinterPark. Seems like there are nice homes and a nice commute to a nice job down there, but that's it. What's a typical lifestyle down there like? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 AM
 
5,444 posts, read 4,822,099 times
Reputation: 15025
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado607 View Post
Hey all,
Thanks in advance for your advice. My husband has a great job offer in the DTC (S. Syracuse Way/south of Orchard Rd). We live in Evergreen and like the sense of community here, but are seriously considering a move 'down the hill' for career advancement. We keep driving around the neighborhoods near DTC and can't find anything that feels like home. We are really struggling with this! We like the homes in the mature/established neighborhoods in Greenwood Village, Heritage Hills, etc. Our budget is 500-600k. But we just can't seem to grasp what life would be like for us there. We have 2 kids (5 and 3), 2 dogs, we like participating in community events, a close-nit christian church, we like our pool and social membership at Hiwan CC (laid back and family friendly), we like eating out at local restaurants and shopping local, listening to live music at the Little Bear and at the summer concerts at the Lakehouse, we like bumping into people we know, riding bikes, hiking/walking on gentle kid-friendly trails, using our camper on the weekends and my in-laws house near WinterPark. Seems like there are nice homes and a nice commute to a nice job down there, but that's it. What's a typical lifestyle down there like? Thank you!
I used to live in the Promenade Place apartments right in DTC and the apartments were nice enough, but the people were 'different'. I say different because they weren't rude or mean or anything like that, everyone just seemed to keep to themselves. Granted this was an apartment complex where neighbors come and go. I do know that minus a few bars and restaurants, it seemed like nothing at all went on in the tech center. Of course, it might be different back in the neighborhoods. The funny thing is, my wife and I's jobs are both in the tech center. We said that if our jobs allowed us to work from home, we would have moved to Evergreen because of the friendliness we noticed up there. We did end up buying a house in Castle Rock and so far we like it down there because it has a lot of the same feel. The downfall though is you don't have that true mountain lifestyle.

From the way you sound, I think you would regret the move down here, but you could look at alternative areas such as Parker which has a lot of the community feel you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Evergreen, CO
26 posts, read 42,637 times
Reputation: 40
Yes, we are totally open to a community outside of DTC, but we don't want a crazy horrible commute. Poor hubby has been commuting to north Boulder for 6 years (1 hr 15min each way). We are done with that and are ready to move in closer to the job. The DTC job is very enticing and we want to give the opportunity a good look. Our other option would be to move in closer to Boulder (maybe Niwot) where his current job is and where he is confident of other job opportunities. It's a tough call. We like Evergreen, but the commute has us down. I have an Evergreen friend that moved down to Parker. Maybe I'll go check that area out this weekend. I'm worried that there won't be any trees down there, but I'll try to keep an open mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 10:53 AM
 
5,444 posts, read 4,822,099 times
Reputation: 15025
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado607 View Post
Yes, we are totally open to a community outside of DTC, but we don't want a crazy horrible commute. Poor hubby has been commuting to north Boulder for 6 years (1 hr 15min each way). We are done with that and are ready to move in closer to the job. The DTC job is very enticing and we want to give the opportunity a good look. Our other option would be to move in closer to Boulder (maybe Niwot) where his current job is and where he is confident of other job opportunities. It's a tough call. We like Evergreen, but the commute has us down. I have an Evergreen friend that moved down to Parker. Maybe I'll go check that area out this weekend. I'm worried that there won't be any trees down there, but I'll try to keep an open mind!
The commute in DTC is horrid no matter where you live. At 5pm, it takes me 20 minutes to go 2 miles to pick up my wife and head home. We are usually on the highway heading south by 5:25-5:35 and then home in Castle Rock at 6pm.

When we lived at the apartment complex, we still wouldn't be home until 5:30 at times because of all the traffic in DTC. When we first moved out here, we loved the idea of working in the tech center, now we both absolutely hate it, but we love our jobs so we just suck it up and live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Evergreen, CO
26 posts, read 42,637 times
Reputation: 40
Yikes, I'm so sorry to hear that. What about the light rail? Is that a good option for commuters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 AM
 
5,444 posts, read 4,822,099 times
Reputation: 15025
Also, when it comes to Parker and trees, look in the Pinery neighborhood. We drove through there and it was an extremely treed area with deer just laying all over the place in people's yards. I know houses rarely go up for sale in there, but I think that area would be a nice fit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Evergreen, CO
26 posts, read 42,637 times
Reputation: 40
I know what you mean by that 'keep to themselves' vibe. There's even a bit of that here in Evergreen. What happened to block parties and playing kick-the-can in the park? :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,530 posts, read 10,212,895 times
Reputation: 9761
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Also, when it comes to Parker and trees, look in the Pinery neighborhood. We drove through there and it was an extremely treed area with deer just laying all over the place in people's yards. I know houses rarely go up for sale in there, but I think that area would be a nice fit for you.
Tallyn's Reach also has a fair amount of trees and I've seen deer there on many occasions. Granted, it's not as treed as The Pinery, but it's much closer to the DTC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
6,909 posts, read 6,510,604 times
Reputation: 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado607 View Post
What happened to block parties and playing kick-the-can in the park? :-(
We seem to have a block party every summer. Guess you have to move to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Na'alehu Hawaii/Buena Vista Colorado
4,880 posts, read 9,630,006 times
Reputation: 4953
There are established neighborhoods near your husband's job location that meet your criteria. No need for him to commute from Evergreen.

Check out Arapahoe Lake subdivision, for one. I can't remember all the various subdivisions since we moved out of the area three years ago, but look north of Caley Avenue up to Cherry Creek State Park, between I-25 and Peoria Street.

There are other subdivisions west of I-25 between County Line Road and Orchard. Several have been mentioned on this forum already -- have you searched for threads on DTC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top