U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:06 PM

14,879 posts, read 4,752,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
Funny, we feel isolated here in San Diego. We are hemmed in on the east and west by desert and ocean, respectively. To the south, we have Mexico, which doesn't offer a lot in driving distance beyond a handful of destinations in northern Baja. To the north, there is LA, which we regard as a blight that we try to get through as quickly as possible to get to points north (yes, oversimplifying and generalizing; LA has its good points). Beyond LA, it's many hours to any sizable city.

I seriously doubt there is any single city or county with more craft breweries than San Diego County. We currently have 88 operational craft breweries/brewpubs here. As a major craft beer enthusiast, that's going to be the hardest thing to leave behind. But Denver is certainly no slouch in the craft beer department.
I will definitely go to at least one next time down there with Stone as my likely first choice. Went from a margarita town in the 80's/90's (still the case in Old Town of course) to a craft beer town the last 10-15 years or so!

As to isolation, can see your point but it could be worse. There is a lot to do in Orange County before one reaches LA and also Long Beach. FWIW, distance from SD to Palm Springs is about 140 miles. I am not familiar with what the desert towns closer to SD of Temecula or Murrieta offer visitors. Once north of LA it is true a large city is far, but smaller cities to the north like Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo are certainly enjoyable.

Denver also has an isolation factor, but at least Boulder and Fort Collins to the west and north are close and so is Colorado Springs to the south. Nearest large metro areas are far away.

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-01-2014 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 04:25 PM

One very unique thing to do in Denver is take a tour of the mint facility there where coins are made. You cannot do that in San Diego and almost any other US city. The only other US city that offers tours of a mint facility is Philadelphia. (The US Mint also has four other facilities that do not offer tours). The United States Mint About Us.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Obvious ones:
Snow sports
Smoke MJ legally

Others
Visit the US mint.
See professional basketball, hockey, soccer games
billiken, I guess you beat me to it (US Mint). Probably was worth re-emphasizing though as it may have got drowned and forgotten amid all the craft beer and climate discussions since your early post! LOL.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:14 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,690,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I would rather swim in the stinky ocean. It is more stinky in Mexico and the LA beaches.
Me too.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 AM

34,789 posts, read 31,843,710 times
In a heat wave here right now. I've lived half my life in either Denver or SD and if it wasn't for the weather extremes I'd still be in Denver. It's an anomaly here.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,172,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In a heat wave here right now. I've lived half my life in either Denver or SD and if it wasn't for the weather extremes I'd still be in Denver. It's an anomaly here.
Your heat wave is moving this way. It's supposed to be near 90 on Sunday. I guess it's time to flip the thermostat from heat to A/C lol!

Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM

12,220 posts, read 7,995,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Your heat wave is moving this way. It's supposed to be near 90 on Sunday. I guess it's time to flip the thermostat from heat to A/C lol!
I am looking forward to it. There is going to be a ton of snow melt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or