U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM

26 posts, read 81,968 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Denver and heard great things about the Berkeley neighborhood but a friend who has been living in Denver for a while said it would be one of the last neighborhoods he would pick to live in given the crime there.

Would you consider the area to be safe/would you live there? Are there certain pockets of Berkeley/Regis that must be avoided but the other areas are very safe?

Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 11:13 PM

Quick edit: after looking at some crime stats I showed him, my friend said that while crime isn't that bad there, he doesn't think the area is "that nice."

How do you feel about the area? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks, again.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM

7 posts, read 13,347 times
I live in West Highlands which is just south of the Berkeley/Regis area. It's a great, dynamic neighborhood; one of north Denver's most up-and-coming areas, with a lot of young singles and couples moving in. The Tennyson Street corridor is a very popular business and social center for the neighborhood. Sure, as in all neighborhoods, there are not so nice pockets, but overall it's a great, vital, energetic place to live.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Seaton View Post
Sure, as in all neighborhoods, there are not so nice pockets.
Thanks, George. Can you identify those in terms of intersection names/locations? This would be very helpful.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Status: "28 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 17 days ago)

12,642 posts, read 17,779,118 times
Default It is great

Berekeley and Regis are two different neighborhoods.

1. Both are quite safe. 1/3 of all the crime is "theft of and theft from motor vehicle". Use a garage and you do not participate. Crime is higher at the edges. That is, along Federal Blvd and 38th Ave and Sheridan Blvd. Don't live on those streets. The Crime Statistics and Maps | Denver Police Department stats and maps are very useful. You need to peruse them and understand hot spots. As an aside, if you look at the very upscale Cherry Creek North neighborhood you will see that a large number of crimes occur at the Mall. Well, duh. Are these going to affect you in your house a few blocks away? No, they are not.

Your friend is stuck in the 90s when the Latino gangs were prevalent here. They are gone. Gentrification, baby.

2. Regis is getting the spillover of hotness from Berkeley as it is slightly more affordable. Regis lacks the retail of Tennyson and is more residential. Prices have exploded in the last year. Regis Denver CO Homes For Sale & Regis Real Estate - Zillow

3. With both neighborhoods, avoid living next to I-70.

4. Berkeley is really divided into 2 parts. Close to Tennyson Street and not. The retail strip on Tennyson between 38th and 46th is changing at 100 mph. Prices for land/buildings are exploding. For example, the owners of Root Down paid $700K for a 6000 sqft lot with crappy building at 39th and Tennyson. People want to live near, but not on top of, all this retail. Think Highland Square only with more land.

5. Berkeley is one the few places in Denver where you can build a duplex. Raleigh, Stuart, Utica and Vrain (notice how they straddle Tennyson) are zoned for duplexes if the lot size is 6000+ sqft. In 2011, the going price for a scraper was $200K. The last 3 sales have been at $360K, which is insane. New duplexes start at $600K. We looked at one at 4528 Utica yesterday where the list price is $660K per side. (I have a spreadsheet with 260 rows that tracks every house built in Berkeley in this century.)

6. We moved from Bonnie Brae to Berkeley in 2011 and love living here. Not as fancy as Bonnie Brae for sure, but way more exciting. And we love living in our modern house. 3968 Vrain Street, Berkeley, Denver, CO 80212-2251 USA

7. It is a changing neighborhood. 100 year old, crappy houses are being torn down and are being replaced with new at $550K to $860K. However, one of neighbors (3 houses away) has a toilet sitting in the front yard which I find to be cute.

8. The City & County of Denver recently (2011-2012) spent $3M on rehab for Tennyson Street, Berkeley Park and Chávez Park. Has made a world of difference. Chávez Park is filled with Yuppie moms and kids every day. Bob is the preferred brand of stroller.

9. The real estate market is beyond hot. Developers are "selling" duplexes before they scrape. Even old houses in need of work are selling in a few weeks. Berkeley Denver CO Homes For Sale & Berkeley Real Estate - Zillow is a partial lie. It shows houses for sale that went under contract weeks ago. Inventory is not zero, but it is close. (We paid $482K for our house in mid-2011. It would sell in a week for $620K. 28% in 3 years! However, we don't plan on moving for 20+ years.)

10. The public schools suck. But, the Mommies are working to change that.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-17-2014 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: maps, not amps

Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 AM

5,091 posts, read 12,933,300 times
^Everything that Dave Barnes says is spot on.

I live just north of the area, off Tennyson in Arvada. I have been living here for 28 years. So, I have more familiarity with area of North Denver over the many decades.

I often went to the Berkeley Lake Park and the library, Rocky Mountain Lake Park and the restaurants on West 38th in this area of North Denver. I have seen the changes that Bob Barnes is detailing. I have never thought the area was severe with crime. To me it was just an older part of Denver. Yes, it has more crime in the past but those days are long gone. It especially diminished with the closing of Elitch Gardens Amusement Park, as that place was attracting a bad crowd in its dying days. With the closing of the park and its redevelopment, that stimulated the revival of Tennyson Street.

The Regis Neighborhood is dominated by Regis College and I think there has been much improvement around this area. It is especially evident since Regis acquired the old Kmart site and expanded toward Federal. Also, the redevelopment of this area and the Chaffee Park neighborhood will be influenced by the soon to be completed Gold Rail Line and the station, north on Federal.

What is not very well known and will have a tremendous impact to the Regis neighborhood is the development of a very large regional park by Hyland Hills Recreational District, just north on Tennyson in Adams County. This area already has many natural resource amenities with Clear Creek trails and Lowell Ponds Nature area. Also, there will be another rail station at 60th, on the Gold Line, between Tennyson and Sheridan.

Livecontent

Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM

3,096 posts, read 4,519,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Berekeley and Regis are two different neighborhoods.
Berkeley is really divided into 2 parts. Close to Tennyson Street and not. The retail strip on Tennyson between 38th and 46th is changing at 100 mph. Prices for land/buildings are exploding. For example, the owners of Root Down paid $700K for a 6000 sqft lot with crappy building at 39th and Tennyson. People want to live near, but not on top of, all this retail. Think Highland Square only with more land.
I worry what effect that this will have on all those useful old Catholic institutions in the area like the St. Vincent Home or Holy Family.

Quote:
Berkeley is one the few places in Denver where you can build a duplex. Raleigh, Stuart, Utica and Vrain (notice how they straddle Tennyson) are zoned for duplexes if the lot size is 6000+ sqft. In 2011, the going price for a scraper was $200K. The last 3 sales have been at $360K, which is insane. New duplexes start at $600K. We looked at one at 4528 Utica yesterday where the list price is $660K per side. (I have a spreadsheet with 260 rows that tracks every house built in Berkeley in this century.)
It's almost as if the the streets are in alphabetical order. Wait, they ARE in alphabetical order!

I am not the real estate expert, but I don't think prices like this can be sustained. These prices are approaching Wash Park prices -- without the Wash Park amenities.

Quote:
The public schools suck. But, the Mommies are working to change that.
I don't think that The Mommies (you forgot the capital "T") can change it. The problem is systemic within Denver Public Schools. Bad schools cannot be transformed. The best hope is to convince DPS to open magnet schools that The Mommies can send their children to -- like the gentrification/Stapleton crowd managed to do in NE Denver (DSA, DSST). Problem is, I don't know what other type of magnet school DPS could open. Maybe a D'Evelyn-type of school, but that would be more than a decade away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
^Everything that Dave Barnes says is spot on.

The Regis Neighborhood is dominated by Regis College and I think there has been much improvement around this area. It is especially evident since Regis acquired the old Kmart site and expanded toward Federal. Also, the redevelopment of this area and the Chaffee Park neighborhood will be influenced by the soon to be completed Gold Rail Line and the station, north on Federal.

Livecontent
This area has changed dramatically over the past 35 years.

Nobody remembers the KMart on Federal (or the old Burger Chef and Jeff nearby). Just like nobody knows that Regis High School used to be on the Regis U campus or that a girls' school, Marycrest, was across Federal. The nuns closed Marycrest and recently sold the campus and change is a-comin'. The old Italians moved out, were replaced by Latinos, who, in turn, are being replaced by the white folk who can afford to pay $660k for a duplex.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 PM

The Jesuits closed Regis High School and move it way to the Southeast in the Metro area to follow the money. Holy Family closed their high school and moved it far north, again to follow the money. Maybe with a thought of damnation, the Jesuits did reopen the Holy Family High School, calling it Arupa, so there would be one serving the poor. Perhaps, they could have saved all the trouble and waited for the rich to arrive!

The redevelopment of Marycrest wil certainly lead to the big changes on this area of Federal along with the rail station.

I think the area is very well served with the extensive influence of the Catholic church. It has given the area stability and a cultural identity. There are orphanages, care centers for the poor and senior homes. There are wonderful churches of interesting architecture. I think these institutions will thrive better and the old churches will see some new members with influx of more wealth.

The suburbs of Wheat Ridge is right next to to this city area. When a city area decays, the nearest inline suburbs follow. However, with the rejuvenation of North Denver, this older suburbs of Wheat Ridge is following that path. West 38th is being renewed and his great possibilities. Today, I just passed a new building of townhomes at 38th and Depew, advertising at under $200,000. I would definitely consider the homes in Wheat Ridge as another great choice of living in this area.

Wheat Ridge is heavily treed. It has a great park in the Wheat Ridge Greenbelt. I think the Wheat Ridge Hospital campus is more inviting and comfortable than many other hospitals--if you can say a hospital is inviting.

Livecontent

Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Status: "28 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 17 days ago)

12,642 posts, read 17,779,118 times
Default Some survive and some not

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I worry what effect that this will have on all those useful old Catholic institutions in the area like the St. Vincent Home or Holy Family.
They will survive longer than Berkeley Baptist.
I give BB no more than a few years.
Then, a very desirable chunk of land becomes available for development.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
They will survive longer than Berkeley Baptist.
I give BB no more than a few years.
Then, a very desirable chunk of land becomes available for development.
No, you have it all wrong. It will turn into a new age religious center. Better yet, it will become Buddhist Temple. I was stunned and pleased when I saw Buddhist priest walking around North Denver, about 25 years ago and found out that a Thai Buddhist Monastery was located at 48th and Julian. Next Came the Zen Buddhist Temple at 31st and Speer at the old Christian Scientist Church.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or