Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:58 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
You're welcome!

I'm sorry, maybe I'm mistaken but I know of NO salt mines in all of Onondaga County. If there are any salt mines in Upstate NY, they must employ very few people.

Can you please provide an internet source? I really am interested in knowing where all the salt mines (in the Syracuse area) are located?
Salt Information is at Salt Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about sodium chloride (http://www.saltinstitute.org/4.html - broken link)Salt Institute, FAQs on salt & the salt industry, and the history & current uses of salt (http://www.saltinstitute.org/index.html - broken link)

There are major salt mines in New York http://www.saltinstitute.org/images/map.pdf (broken link)

Again these are the major mines.

They are in Central New York.

Canada is also a large salt producer around the Great Lakes
Salt Institute of Canada:* FAQs on Salt Production and Use in Canada (http://www.saltinstitute.org/canada/ - broken link)

More Information at USGS Minerals Information: Salt

I remember seeing these mines when driving to college in the 1970s.

Keep in mind that Syracuse is the capital of the central region, so the trade area includes many counties. Of course, you would know, that Syracuse was at one time called the "Salt City".

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-09-2007 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Thanks!

Looks like the closest salt mine to Syracuse is over 40 miles away. This confirms my initial thoughts in this matter. Didn't think Metropolitan Syracuse had any salt mines left.........

Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Sorry to drudge up this old thread. However my boyfriend and I have been talking about a move to Colorado. He is a White male who has worked for over 8 years in grocery stores (meat dept., bakery, stock, produce, etc.) and I am a Black female who works as a para-professional (I currently work in healthcare technology; although the bulk of my previous work experience is in the insurance industry). I'll be graduating with my MBA in December. So we're looking at options after this big life achievement

Both me and my boyfriend are from the Mon Valley. So basically we grew up poor. Our expectations of a "good" area are probably very different then most people on CD. Both of us have lived in bona-fide ghettos. The difference between us is that I've lived in quite a few places in the US: Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Daytona Beach, Allentown (PA), and Morgantown (WV). My boyfriend has only ever lived in the Pittsburgh region. So while we both see the advantages of moving to Denver, I have a lot more questions...being that I've been through this before! With that being said, we are considering any neighborhood in Denver...no matter what the reputation. No kids yet, so schools aren't an issue. We live in McKeesport now...so looks don't mean much to us either!

I visited Denver for the first time 2 years ago. A good friend of mine relocated out to the Littleton area because her husband got a great job offer after being laid off and unemployed in Pittsburgh for more than a year. I spent a week out there and she just raved about it. Although it's hard to tell if it was Denver or if she was just thrilled that they didn't have to spend anymore of their retirement savings. Anyway, I feel as if my view of Denver was skewed because they are upper-middle class earners ($100K+) with kids in college while me and my boyfriend are in a totally different league.

My main concern about Denver is the culture. Southeast FL was predominantly Hispanic, but there was also a very large Black and Afro-Caribbean community (my Dad is Jamaican). Pittsburgh has a lot of de-facto segregation, but the Black population here is still representative, if not higher, than the US as a whole. In Denver, I think it's only 6%...and in the rest of Colorado even less than that. From what I could tell, there seems to be little to no Afro-Caribbeans in Denver....although there does seem to be a presence in Colorado Springs (based on restaurants and other retailers of West Indian products). Interestingly enough, my boyfriend grew up in a largely Black area (Braddock) and I think the culture shock would be bigger for him than for me. I know how hard long distance moves can be. And it helps to be in an environment where you don't feel like the odd man out.

Since returning to the Pittsburgh area from Miami, the low cost of living is an incredible stress relief. Although I will say that compared to Miami, I feel that business expectations and competitiveness is much less here because of that. The economic climate in Pittsburgh is very conservative. Few people here seem willing to start businesses, hire people with gusto (my 2 jobs here took months to actually be extended an offer), or incubate new industries. I wonder how Denver compares to Pittsburgh in this sense? Statistically, it seems as if there are as many job openings to job seekers in Denver as there is in Pittsburgh. However I feel that in Pittsburgh a good number of those jobs are in the healthcare and energy sectors -- neither of which I or my boyfriend work in.

Due to some physical problems, I am not the "outdoorsy type". However I do love sunshine....and ironically, for a Pittsburgh native, I hate the snow. Cold I can deal with....but ice and snow frustrate me to no end. Fortunately, in the 4 years since I've been back to Pittsburgh, only that one winter (2009 I think) was really bad. However that whole experience was torture for me...where as last winter in Pittsburgh was a dream (what, I think we got 3 inches of snow total). My boyfriend likes to camp, keep big dogs, and go to the shooting range. So I feel like Colorado would be a great place for that type of stuff (although we haven't looked into Colorado gun laws).

My boyfriend doesn't like crowded environments. However I like to live where you are in a comfortable distance to everything. For example when I lived in Miami, I refused to live west of I-95 because most of "the action" in Southeast FL is along the coast. Similarly here in Pittsburgh, I refuse to live outside of Allegheny county (in spite of the taxes), because if I do need to go to downtown, I don't want to spend more than 45 minutes doing so. Demographically, it's tough to tell how Denver is laid out. For example, here in Pittsburgh, once you get 10 miles from downtown, you are comfortably out of any type of "urban" feel. However Southeast FL have a more dense population that spreads out for 20 miles at least. For that reason, we are also considering Colorado Springs. However I wonder if Denver is still accessible (at over an hour away) if need be. I know Morgantown and Pittsburgh are an hour apart....and few people are eager to make that drive!

And finally when it comes to politics, I am a Democrat and my boyfriend is a Libertarian (he was devastated that Ron Paul was not selected as the Republican nominee for President). I feel like his politics would fit in anywhere in Colorado. Me on the other hand, I feel as if I'm more limited to Denver or Boulder (which we surely couldn't afford anyway).

With what I know so far, we're honing in on Colorado Springs and Aurora. Although Aurora has a higher cost of living, it also has a larger Black population. My boyfriend actually has a Black friend from HS that lives in Colorado Springs who feels we should move there. However Colorado Springs overall is less diverse and it is smaller. It's also a military town. Which I think would put both me and my boyfriend at a disadvantage when it comes to job hunting.

However if Colorado Springs has better winters then Denver, I would fully change my mind!

Oh and as for the argument about Pittsburgh being a midwestern or an eastern city -- well I personally think it is more midwestern. I've spent a good amount of time in NYC and I lived in Allentown. Pittsburgh is very different culturally than the eastern seaboard. Plus Pittsburgh is geographically separated in that we are on the other side of the mountains in PA. Oh, and in the early 19th century, Pittsburgh was the "Gateway to the West". So personally I think it's pretty inaccurate to call it an "eastern" US city.

Last edited by MissShona; 11-11-2012 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: ton of typos!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
Gross. How could you even compare the 2? You're basically choosing between a beautiful, clean and bright city, with the Rockies as your backdrop, VS. a nasty, downtrodden ketchup smelling garbage hole with view of the polluted Allegheny and fat, rabid Steelers fans.

And I don't even like Denver.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Gross. How could you even compare the 2? You're basically choosing between a beautiful, clean and bright city, with the Rockies as your backdrop, VS. a nasty, downtrodden ketchup smelling garbage hole with view of the polluted Allegheny and fat, rabid Steelers fans.

From your profile:

Quote:
Previous locations
Northeast Ohio
Ah.

By the way, Pittsburgh hosted the Bassmaster Classic in 2005, and most of the fishing (if not all) was done on the Allegheny River, so apparently it's not very polluted. It's also worth noting that while Pittsburgh has three rivers, none of them have ever caught fire like the Cuyahoga River did. Lastly, being from northeastern Ohio precludes you from calling anyplace else "nasty" or "downtrodden." Methinks you do protest too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
...as for the argument about Pittsburgh being a midwestern or an eastern city -- well I personally think it is more midwestern. I've spent a good amount of time in NYC and I lived in Allentown. Pittsburgh is very different culturally than the eastern seaboard. Plus Pittsburgh is geographically separated in that we are on the other side of the mountains in PA. Oh, and in the early 19th century, Pittsburgh was the "Gateway to the West". So personally I think it's pretty inaccurate to call it an "eastern" US city.
If Pittsburgh is "Midwestern," then so is Denver. After all, Denver is east of the Rocky Mountains, and everything that's east of the Rockies and west of the Appalachians is Midwestern, right?

Pittsburgh is part of the interior Northeast, which is a dichotomy of Northeastern and Appalachian culture that extends from upstate New York down to the northern third of West Virginia and western Maryland. Downtown Pittsburgh is directly upon the 80th meridian west, which also passes through the west side of Charleston, SC and just off the Atlantic coast of south Florida. The only thing "Midwestern" about Pittsburgh is that it's located near the middle of the Western Hemisphere.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 11-12-2012 at 05:26 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post

Hmmm...sounds more like Philly to me....minus the rabid Steelers fans!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Data are your friends

1. A salary of $50,000 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania should increase to $62,656 in Denver, Colorado
Housing is 156% more expensive in Denver.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

2. CITY, STATE ANNUAL % AVG POSSIBLE SUNSHINE NO. OF YEARS OF DATA
DENVER, CO 69% 46
PITTSBURGH, PA 45%49
http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/c...pctposrank.txt

3. Black population of both Denver and Aurora is approximately 10%. The state overall is 4%.
My opinion: Concentrated black population areas are geographically small and poor. As soon as they get money, they disperse into the larger metro area.
Data at African American Population Demographics

4. Urban density. See http://www.city-data.com/forum/26816453-post7.html

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. A salary of $50,000 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania should increase to $62,656 in Denver, Colorado
Housing is 156% more expensive in Denver.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

2. CITY, STATE ANNUAL % AVG POSSIBLE SUNSHINE NO. OF YEARS OF DATA
DENVER, CO 69% 46
PITTSBURGH, PA 45%49
http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/c...pctposrank.txt

3. Black population of both Denver and Aurora is approximately 10%. The state overall is 4%.
My opinion: Concentrated black population areas are geographically small and poor. As soon as they get money, they disperse into the larger metro area.
Data at African American Population Demographics

4. Urban density. See http://www.city-data.com/forum/26816453-post7.html
Thank you for this! In all honesty, I am shocked at the disparity of housing costs between Denver and Pittsburgh (that site uses numbers on some sort of rating scale....not dollars and cents, so maybe I'm missing something here).

Pittsburgh is unnaturally cheap for housing. For example I pay $500/month for a two bedroom here in McKeesport. When I left Miami back in 2008, I was paying $825/month for a one bedroom. My salary in FL was only a hair more than what I make here however.

In my opinion, housing is like a "fixed cost" when in comes to living. Sure there is a large spectrum in regards to what percentage of your income you want to spend on housing. However I am fine with an increase in housing costs if salaries can go up proportionally as well. For example, in Miami, I really had to fight tooth and nail for raises....in spite of the fact that more than a third of my final take home pay went to housing costs. At one point it was almost 50%. Fortunately for me I had a car that was paid off, was able to collect food stamps, had no dependents, and my student loans were in deferment. Other than that, I have no clue how I would have made it.

So far from what I've seen online, the types of jobs I would be vying for would pay $40,000/year or more (Masters degree, 5-10 of progressive experience, previous management experience, etc.). This is about 15% more than what I make here. So it may be a wash. Not sure.

Also craigslist has rentals in Denver that range from $550 - $630 a month. Quite a few. Although I realize Craigslist isn't the best representation of any city. Do these prices sound unheard of or pretty commonplace?

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 06:08 AM..

Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Way more expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I am shocked at the disparity of housing costs between Denver and Pittsburgh (that site uses numbers on some sort of rating scale....Pittsburgh is unnaturally cheap for housing. For example I pay $500/month for a two bedroom here in McKeesport. Also craigslist has rentals in Denver that range from $550 - $630 a month.
1. From Trulia.
Median sales price in Denver is $233K while Pittsburgh is $140K.
Denver average and median listing prices - Trulia.com
Pittsburgh average and median listing prices - Trulia.com

2. Home sales prices have been rising at 13% per year.
Home sales soar, prices rise, inventory drops | Inside Real Estate News

3. Rental prices are rising at 10% per year.
Colorado Division of Housing: Census: Rental vacancies head down in Colorado and Denver-Aurora
http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....nclick_check=1
Local apartment rents hit another record high | quarter, rents, third - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

4. $630! Everyone is laughing now. Try $800 and up.
Surf to https://www.padmapper.com/ and play with the filters. Use the minimum filter to eliminate scams and crap as no one is renting apartments for $2.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

4. $630! Everyone is laughing now. Try $800 and up.
Surf to https://www.padmapper.com/ and play with the filters. Use the minimum filter to eliminate scams and crap as no one is renting apartments for $2.

Well I won't be in the market to buy a home for several years at the earliest. Going to Apartments.com , you can set the maximum rent to $700 and you get quite a few results. Several of these are studios which have rents as low as $525. In my experience, independent landlords may even be cheaper.

In my experience, the internet is not comprehensive in regards to showing the true rental market in that rentals in "bad" neighborhoods rarely even make it online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver