U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:23 PM

88 posts, read 284,291 times

Advertisements

I have several questions. We are considering relocating to the Parker area.
  1. State income tax--what percentage of your income is this?
  2. Average utility bills--Say, avg June and Dec bills for gas and electric? (assume 3000-4000 sq ft)
  3. Average water bill?
  4. Best high speed internet provider?
  5. Best cell phone provider?
  6. Sales tax?
  7. Other municipal fees I may be forgetting--Are water/sewer/trash collection billed together?
  8. Political climate?
  9. Driving conditions/road clearing when snow or ice? If we live in Parker, will inclement weather greatly increase our work commute?
  10. Douglas County school district?
  11. Vehicle registration fees? Any other associated fees?
  12. How is the cost of home insurance in CO?
  13. How about the cost of auto insurance?
  14. How about the cost of groceries/essentials as compared to Texas costs? (for those of you transplanted from here) My most recent trip to the store I paid $4.29 for a gallon of milk.
I certainly don't expect one person to take on all of these questions. But if you can answer one or two, I would really appreciate your response.

Thanks a billion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 05:53 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Most / all of these have been answered in existing threads. To find these, just use the Search Tool with a keyword(s) from each question. There is a lot of info in these older threads and it will keep us from keying in answers to the usual set of questions that people have.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:05 AM

Unhappy Sorry,

Will do that. Sorry. I should have thought of that first, but my husband has asked me so many questions that I haven't had time to research yet. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbuffalos View Post
I have several questions. We are considering relocating to the Parker area.
  1. State income tax--what percentage of your income is this?
  2. Average utility bills--Say, avg June and Dec bills for gas and electric? (assume 3000-4000 sq ft)
  3. Average water bill?
  4. Best high speed internet provider?
  5. Best cell phone provider?
  6. Sales tax?
  7. Other municipal fees I may be forgetting--Are water/sewer/trash collection billed together?
  8. Political climate?
  9. Driving conditions/road clearing when snow or ice? If we live in Parker, will inclement weather greatly increase our work commute?
  10. Douglas County school district?
  11. Vehicle registration fees? Any other associated fees?
  12. How is the cost of home insurance in CO?
  13. How about the cost of auto insurance?
  14. How about the cost of groceries/essentials as compared to Texas costs? (for those of you transplanted from here) My most recent trip to the store I paid $4.29 for a gallon of milk.
I certainly don't expect one person to take on all of these questions. But if you can answer one or two, I would really appreciate your response.

Thanks a billion.
A pretty good source for information is ( Moderator cut: link). If you go to the "Compare" tab, you can enter your present locale and prospective one and get a pretty good comparison on a lot of stuff. Their data isn't perfect, but it's probably as good as you will find on the web.

Some quick answers from my perspective on things of which I have personal knowledge:
[*]State income tax--what percentage of your income is this? 4.63% of taxable Colorado income
[*]Best cell phone provider? Probably the best statewide is either Verizon or Alltell. In the metro areas, most any carrier works. Out in the boonies, these two are probably the best.
[*]Sales tax? Read 'em and weep here: http://www.revenue.state.co.us/PDF/drp1002.pdf . The combined state and local sales taxes are usually 6-8% or more.
[*]Other municipal fees I may be forgetting--Are water/sewer/trash collection billed together? Location dependent
[*]Political climate? Depends on locale. Colorado historically Republican overall, but leaning more Democratic the last few years. Traditionally split the Governorship and Legislature between Democrat and Republican. Now the Governorship and both Legislative Houses under Democratic control.
[*]Driving conditions/road clearing when snow or ice? If we live in Parker, will inclement weather greatly increase our work commute? Yes. Commuting snarls in metro Denver during inclement winter weather--guaranteed.
[*]Vehicle registration fees? Any other associated fees? See my other posts on this.
[*]How is the cost of home insurance in CO? Generally higher than the norm, particularly in areas of the state subject to hailstorms and damage--this includes the entire Front Range.
[*]How about the cost of auto insurance? Higher than average--again, partly because of much of the state's propensity for hail damage, and partly because of accident/loss rates on the Front Range.
[*]How about the cost of groceries/essentials as compared to Texas costs? Higher than US average in most places.

Last edited by Yac; 12-21-2007 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: competitor's site

Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Thank you!

Jazzlover,
Thank you for your very thorough reply. I read the sales tax link, well, OK, I skimmed it. We are accustomed to 8.25% (but no state sales tax). So, it will seem better--until I remember the state sales tax.
I'll be interested to compare the insurance rates. We have godawful thunderstorms, hail, and tornados--i.e. the town of Jarrell (25 miles from here) blew away twice in 12 years. And they say lightning doesn't strike twice. Maybe not, but apparently tornados do. My son's apartment was missed by a few blocks last year in Waco.

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:46 AM

3,553 posts, read 6,928,771 times
Flying buffalos;

We're in the process of relocating from TX (Hill Country) to CO (Loveland) and we're pleased with the change in costs.

Our property tax is taking a BIG DROP, from almost $5K (I'm still waiting for my $2K check from governor big hair), in TX to $1800 in CO. Oh, and the CO house is bigger, newer, nicer, much better built, they have building codes in CO! Also a bit more $.

Our local sales tax here is 8.25 and I think Loveland is only 6.??% (probably higher in the Centerra shopping center)

Our homeowner's insurance (remember, it's NOT REGULATED in TX) is dropping from about $1,000 (3% deductible) to LESS THAN $300 ($1,000 deductible)

I figure we won't be running our A/C constantly from April through October.

I can't find my notes on car insurance but IIRC it was about the same, or even a bit less!

I think you'll find the grocery costs to be pretty similar.

Gasoline has been the same on my last 3 trips.

Vehicle registration fees are a bit more, but it seems that CO actually takes that money and does some work on its roads (a novel concept that hasn't been discovered here in TX) and builds some new ones.

When I moved to TX 30 years ago everyone knew that K-12 education was pretty poor (state motto; Thank God for Mississippi, Lousisana and Alabama or we'd be dead last in everything), but we had some of the best public universities in the USA, and in some cases in the world. Now even our universities are dropping due to benign neglect by our legislature (best politicians money can buy) and governor.

I've found that having discussions on anything of any importance with many of my neighbors to have become tiresome. Of course if you think the earth is only 5,000 years old it's probably not too difficult to believe that Bush, Perry and Tom Delay are "great statesmen".

golfgod

Old 12-11-2007, 07:35 AM

3,150 posts, read 7,223,624 times
First utility bill with Xcel...

I used 15 bucks worth of gas for November....not home much...anyways...nothing like 14.85 worth of fees and other BS.

Then on the electric side of the bill 8.00 worth of fees so they can read my meter. The xcel rep was like its not as bad as a mobile bill....i said...your're worse....basically i am getting charged over 50 percent in fees.

Got pay for for that nice lear 45 xcel flys out of Centennial though...so that makes me feel better.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 AM

Smile Thanks, golfgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Flying buffalos;

We're in the process of relocating from TX (Hill Country) to CO (Loveland) and we're pleased with the change in costs.

Our property tax is taking a BIG DROP, from almost $5K (I'm still waiting for my $2K check from governor big hair), in TX to $1800 in CO. Oh, and the CO house is bigger, newer, nicer, much better built, they have building codes in CO! Also a bit more $.

Our local sales tax here is 8.25 and I think Loveland is only 6.??% (probably higher in the Centerra shopping center)

Our homeowner's insurance (remember, it's NOT REGULATED in TX) is dropping from about $1,000 (3% deductible) to LESS THAN $300 ($1,000 deductible)

I figure we won't be running our A/C constantly from April through October.

I can't find my notes on car insurance but IIRC it was about the same, or even a bit less!

I think you'll find the grocery costs to be pretty similar.

Gasoline has been the same on my last 3 trips.

Vehicle registration fees are a bit more, but it seems that CO actually takes that money and does some work on its roads (a novel concept that hasn't been discovered here in TX) and builds some new ones.

When I moved to TX 30 years ago everyone knew that K-12 education was pretty poor (state motto; Thank God for Mississippi, Lousisana and Alabama or we'd be dead last in everything), but we had some of the best public universities in the USA, and in some cases in the world. Now even our universities are dropping due to benign neglect by our legislature (best politicians money can buy) and governor.

I've found that having discussions on anything of any importance with many of my neighbors to have become tiresome. Of course if you think the earth is only 5,000 years old it's probably not too difficult to believe that Bush, Perry and Tom Delay are "great statesmen".

golfgod
Hahahahaha! Yes, I have been in TX since '75, and everything you say is true. And I can't even begin to talk about the rampant, and seemingly justified to them, homophobia. We had our younger son in private "nondenominational" school, which I could sort of tolerate, until they started telling him that the earth is only 6000 years old, there IS NO evolution, homosexuality is a choice and they are all going straight to hell, and having a single parent could cause you to become a homosexual .
I pulled him out of there two weeks before the end of a semester and told them why. They said they would pray for me. Good for them and their bigoted, hateful beliefs.

The property taxes in Parker are app. 1/2 of what they are here in Temple.
And, yeah, the gas is about the same. And with what the cost of groceries has been here the last few months (since the cost of a barrel of oil hit almost $100), I don't see a big difference between CO and TX on that.

And the AC--We run ours pretty much year round. Oh, we do turn on the heat occasionally, but since we like the temp in the house around 65 degrees, we would be doing the environment a favor by moving to a cooler climate.

As for the politicians here, well, if you can't say anything nice, well...but my husband is pretty sure that Perry is Satan, although there is pretty good evidence that Cheney is. But then CO has xenophobic Tancredo. I'm hoping he is an anomaly.

Thanks for the info!

melissa

Old 12-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Got pay for for that nice lear 45 xcel flys out of Centennial though...so that makes me feel better.
And isn't that really what life is all about? <sigh>

Old 12-12-2007, 10:47 AM

271 posts, read 1,251,209 times
I'm reading this thread and the following has me incredulous:

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod
they have building codes in CO!
Are you serious? Texas doesn't have building codes????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or