Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:03 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,556,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Bennett seems to be on the other side of the "tornado line" lol!
It most certainly is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 03:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,115,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
It most certainly is.
It looks like there's a tornado headed there right now That mobile home I posted just may be off the market today. Literally.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,198,242 times
As Dave said, there is no point in anyone recommending a place to live until you know where you are working. Most anything centrally located is going to be out of your price range or below your standards. There are hoods in Thornton, West Denver and Aurora that meet your specs, but they are far apart

Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 AM

862 posts, read 1,637,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahunt01 View Post
Holy moly, there's so much replies in this thread! So sorry to not chime in earlier everyone, I didn't get any email telling me that there was any activity on my thread, grr!

Thanks so much for the honesty! It's discouraging, but I'd rather be discouraged but get a straight and honest answer.

I'm actually not a big-city guy, neither is my wife. We'd be perfectly comfortable living 30-45 minutes out of the big city. Right now, we relocated away from Milwaukee to an area where there is 4 small-medium sized cities sandwiched together, which makes this area cheaper to live as well as safer, plus it has a small-town feel to most of the burbs. Jobs aren't as prevalent, but there are not too hard to find in my line of work (social work). Is there affordable housing in nice areas 30-45 minutes out of Denver, are all of those insanely expensive as well?

When my wife goes back to work after our kids are in school, $225K would not be impossible, it's just that we don't want to buy that expensive of a house. I'm asking because if there are cheaper nice little towns a bit outside of Denver, we would probably take a few road trips to explore.

Thanks again for all the input!
Very discouraging! My hubby is pretty certain he will be getting transferred - unasked for just needed by the company - and working in Lakewood. We can't rent because we have 3 cats and 3 dogs, and we won't do condo/townhome/mobile home due to his relocation policy - company won't buy back if they transfer him again and it doesn't sell if we buy any of the above. We definitely don't need or expect what we have now, but 5 years ago we paid $160,000 for a 4bed 2 1/2 bath 2 car garage 1900 sq ft new build and paying more for so much less and fixer uppers is just making me ill. Looks like there we need to do our best to figure out how to get out of the transfer, or him find a new job where we are at now if he can't.

Good luck OP!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,939,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Very discouraging! My hubby is pretty certain he will be getting transferred - unasked for just needed by the company - and working in Lakewood. We can't rent because we have 3 cats and 3 dogs, and we won't do condo/townhome/mobile home due to his relocation policy - company won't buy back if they transfer him again and it doesn't sell if we buy any of the above. We definitely don't need or expect what we have now, but 5 years ago we paid $160,000 for a 4bed 2 1/2 bath 2 car garage 1900 sq ft new build and paying more for so much less and fixer uppers is just making me ill. Looks like there we need to do our best to figure out how to get out of the transfer, or him find a new job where we are at now if he can't.

Good luck OP!
In this scenario, I would talk with the company and explain the cost of living differences. Maybe your husband could get a raise out of the deal since he is the one relocating for the sake of the company. Coming from a place where housing is cheap to a place where housing is more expensive, you are basically taking a huge pay cut. It couldn't hurt to talk to them about it.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
In this scenario, I would talk with the company and explain the cost of living differences. Maybe your husband could get a raise out of the deal since he is the one relocating for the sake of the company. Coming from a place where housing is cheap to a place where housing is more expensive, you are basically taking a huge pay cut. It couldn't hurt to talk to them about it.
You know I never thought of this until your post but there are some areas where the company gives a cost of living stipend of $5,000 - $12,000 added to the salary. Since housing itself is 41% more than here hopefully IF he gets transferred this is one of the places that at least get $5000 more a year.

I'm probably worrying over nothing but I'm the type to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. And it just shocked me the prices. I'm a Midwest girl not used to prices like these.

Thanks for you post! And sorry to the OP that I sidetracked the thread.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 AM

17,676 posts, read 29,598,496 times
Default Let me make you feel better

Quote:
Midwest girl not used to prices like these.
Average price of single home in Toronto shoots up 13% to $965,000

Average price of single home in Toronto shoots up 13% to $965,000 | Toronto Star

Old 05-22-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Average price of single home in Toronto shoots up 13% to $965,000

Average price of single home in Toronto shoots up 13% to $965,000 | Toronto Star
Thankfully my hubby's company only has offices in the US - except for Alaska I think - and one in Germany.

Here's what you can get for $900k here:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...14-36634?row=6

Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM

17,676 posts, read 29,598,496 times
Default Yes, but

Quote:
Here's what you can get for $900k here
But, it is in Kentucky.
Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul.
Bugs.
Humid.
Meth and heroin.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:05 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,460,847 times
Quote:
Thankfully my hubby's company only has offices in the US - except for Alaska I think - and one in Germany.

Here's what you can get for $900k here:

7713 Cedar Ridge Ct, Prospect, KY 40059 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Wow.

Wash Park for $900K:
880 S Gilpin St, Denver, CO 80209 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver