U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 02:00 PM

22 posts, read 65,887 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Atlanta to Colorado. Does anyone have any opinion about the builder, Remington Homes, or the subdivisions Whisper Creek or Cottonwood Vista? They both have 1 story floor plans that will meet the needs of our family including a son who uses a wheelchair.

Any information on the area in Arvada that these subdivisions are located, schools, community, etc would be appreciated.

Any suggestions for other areas to look at would be appreciated as well -- Need at least 3 bedrooms, ranch plan, no more than $600k. Husband to work at IBM coplex in Boulder and I will be somewhere with federal employee populations (Denver, Lakeland?)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 02:59 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,546,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEmom View Post
We are relocating from Atlanta to Colorado. Does anyone have any opinion about the builder, Remington Homes, or the subdivisions Whisper Creek or Cottonwood Vista? They both have 1 story floor plans that will meet the needs of our family including a son who uses a wheelchair.

Any information on the area in Arvada that these subdivisions are located, schools, community, etc would be appreciated.

Any suggestions for other areas to look at would be appreciated as well -- Need at least 3 bedrooms, ranch plan, no more than $600k. Husband to work at IBM coplex in Boulder and I will be somewhere with federal employee populations (Denver, Lakeland?)

Thanks!
I have looked at the website Remington Homes Remington Homes, Colorado (http://www.remingtoncolorado.com/locations.htm - broken link) to find these subdivisions. Cottonwood Vista is in Erie; Whisper Creek is in Arvada.

The Erie Location would be closer the the IBM complex on the Diagonal Hwy. 119, north of Boulder; I used to live across the hwy. in Niwot. The Arvada Location would be closer to any federal employees at the Federal Center in Lakewood, on Kipling, Alameda, Union or Downtown Denver.

Traveling from Erie to the Federal jobs would be more of a difficult commuter vs. traveling to IBM for your husband from Arvada, especially west Arvada. I would pick the Arvada Location for this reason.

Whisper Creek is off of Alkire in West Arvada. I used to live just down the road from this area. It is a very upscale and nice area with many parks and is up the road from established housing. The elemetary school would be right down the way from the subdivision. It is also near the Largest New Recreation Center in Colorado, The Apex Center.

Erie is way out east of Boulder with many nice homes and subdivision but it is farther out and is a new area of growth. I can ony look at the map and I do not know specifically the area, however it would upscale and with many new developments.

One of the issues I would look seriously into in buying any home for a disabled individual is the availability of disability paratrasit. I am disabled and I use the disability buses and I live in Arvada. The Access Ride run by RTD, The Regional Transportation District The Regional Transportation District Home Page can only serve locations if:

"Your trip must have a starting and ending point within 3/4 mile of an RTD non-commuter fixed route."

This service would be extremely helpful for your son and his needs. Living in a home that is beyond these boundaries would not allow you to use this service. I suspect both locations may not be close enough to a fixed route.

Again, I feel Arvada would be an ideal location to both of your employers and their are many homes available. If your federal job is Downtown Denver, then I would look at Broomfield, or Louisville because you and your husband can easily take a bus to each location. If your job is at the federal center then I would look into Arvada. All these communities are very nice with good services.

Information is avalable at the RTD website under special rides. access-a-Ride (http://www.rtd-denver.com/SpecialRides/access-a-ride/index.html - broken link)
I would call and verify beforehand availability of service to any address.

I hope this helps.

Livecontent

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,023 times
Default Remington Homes

Not sure if you're still looking for some info on this, but we have currently purchased a Remington Home in the community of Whisper Creek. Arvada is an nice place to live (in my opinion), and Remington Homes may be exactly the kind of builder you will need for your ADA requirements as they will customize your house with just about anything you could imagine. Of course it all comes at a price too. I will say they are one of the few quality builders in Colorado and have an excellent reputation. They do have awesome ranch plans, very open...but there are many areas that could get quite pinched for someone in a wheelchair. You would definitely have to work with them to possibly expand hallways or bump out a bedroom (their secondary bedrooms are very small) etc., etc.
Remington is very good to work with in regards to all this...but be ready to pay some bucks. We made modifications to our home and typical additonal square footage runs about $140/sf not to mention upgrade costs from their basic standards. Base price runs in the high 400's for their most popular ranches (single family and patio homes), and typical lot premiums run anywhere from $0-$50k if you would like a mountain-view or not (do not get a north facing lot unless you like icy, snow-pack on your driveway all winter long). Customized changes to your home can add-up very quickly so ask them before you ever contract what these costs are to get a better idea if the cost is still in your ball-park.

The community will be very nice with some open-space, trails, a community swimming pool, a couple of small parks, etc.. The area unfortunately is very prone to wind as there are very few trees and the winds that come off the mountains right there are strong. Hopefully over time it wont be so bad, but it will take several years for trees to get big enough to provide any decent wind-breaks. There are no close commercial structures yet (i.e. grocery store, gas-station/convenience) but as the area grows...and it will...some should move in. It's just a few miles to get to these.

I too work for the feds...and commute to the Federal Center in Lakewood. The one disappointment with Colorado is we have no good north-south routes (other than I-25 which is too far east). Arvada to Lakewood means traveling south and I must navigate through numerous traffic lights to get to and from work each day. My commute is around 30 mins...lots of stop and go unfortunatley. If they ever connect the last leg of the beltway that would run west of Arvada and down to C-470 (south end of town) the commute to the Fed Center would be reduced to about 20 mins but you would be moving at a nice highway speed instead of stop and go traffic lights.

Good luck in whatever you do.
Hope all this helps....

Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 PM

43 posts, read 102,765 times
Can I ask you how you are liking Whisper Creek? We will be looking there this weekend. It is a stretch for us as I only make 70K/yr, but it looks to be the makings of a real community/hometown feeling type place. With this economy, do you think they are more flexible with pricing? How far to Olde Town and downtown Denver? Is it terribly windy? Any insight you have would be much appreciated.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,546,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDFuller View Post
Can I ask you how you are liking Whisper Creek? We will be looking there this weekend. It is a stretch for us as I only make 70K/yr, but it looks to be the makings of a real community/hometown feeling type place. With this economy, do you think they are more flexible with pricing? How far to Olde Town and downtown Denver? Is it terribly windy? Any insight you have would be much appreciated.
This is an old thread and I doubt any of the respondents are reading it. The OP did not bother to respond to my extensive post---it would have been a little polite courtesy.

However, you, on the other hand, responded, nicely, to my post on your other thread--so there are nice people which make me forget the others.

This housing development is only about 4 miles west of old town. Read my previous post in this thread. It is very nice area and my well suite you. I lived just down the road from there but much has changed; there is more development--new development, new schools and recreation center.

I worked downtown, when I lived there and it was an easy commute--either down Ward road to I-70 or through the side roads through North Denver--that was my choice. It is about 13 miles from Downtown Denver.

Wind is sometimes a problem in this western area of Arvada but is minimized by the street alignments and small topographical features that changes, from block to block, because this area is not flat, it has some rolling hills.

Livecontent

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 PM

43 posts, read 102,765 times
Thank you! You are so knowledgable-- I have learned a lot from your posts on these boards. Whisper Creek sounds good now that I know it is a decent commute to downtown, but would be quite a stretch financially. Still, I think we will look tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver