U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 AM

12,264 posts, read 8,049,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by officegal View Post
Also, don't drive after midnight on the weekends here in the Denver metro area.

Umm, I work part-time in a law office, and the guy with his name on the door charges like 10 to 40K for his services.

He lives in a palace, I swear - and he's not even a good lawyer.

The thing is, everyone gets a DUI here. even people who don't drink or use drugs. If you get pulled over and the trooper/officer sees that you're sober, they put down that you refused a test. It's like a huge scam, there is a ton of corruption here, and my point is (finally!) a heads-up on a potential budget-breaker no one talks about here.

P.S. You're pretty much safe if you don't drive after midnight, especially on weekends, or during grant-enforcement periods. This goes for everyone on the road, even people who don't drink or use drugs. Seriously, it's a big scam here, judges here aren't like judges are supposed to be.
I have been living here for over 15 years and this is the first I have ever heard of this. Please provide some proof otherwise this is misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,822,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I have been living here for over 15 years and this is the first I have ever heard of this. Please provide some proof otherwise this is misinformation.
haha.. keep in mind that she works in a lawyers office. You know, where EVERYONE is innocent.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:05 PM

6,961 posts, read 12,447,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktqtp View Post
Eh, Portland traffic worse than Denver? Laugh... Denver has a population of what, 2.something million? Portland is much more of a "small city" and I have never seen traffic in PDX like I have here (I-25 comes to mind). I also used to work in the transportation business, scheduling point to point courier service all across the nation. Denver was known as a bad traffic area - Portland? Nah... it's just a mini city. But for what it is, you can get a lot.

Also, I don't think Portland's winters feel colder than here. The PNW is a temperate rainforest. It is wet & cloudy because of that. If you have SAD, the PNW will be your kryptonite. However, colder than here? No freaking way... not with the wind chills here and extreme temps.

As for the prices, I don't see how Portland is more expensive than even the cheapest parts of Denver. A friend of mine rents a 1bed apt in NoPo for $540/m. I haven't seen prices like that anywhere here.

Then again, comparing PDX to Denver isn't really a good idea. They are two vastly different cities.

There's definitely a reason your friend found an apt in No Portland for $540 a month. It's one of the highest crime areas of Metro Portland.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:20 PM

77 posts, read 108,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I was wondering about officegal's post, too...

I've never had a DUI, but:

Doesn't your license get revoked if you refuse a sobriety test?
In that case, wouldn't the officer then have to take you into custody or at least not allow you to drive your vehicle home?
This would seem to make it impossible for any officer to "slip in" that you refused a sobriety test, because in his report there would have to be something about you being taken into custody or your vehicle being impounded.

Not sure on the laws here, though.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 PM

13,228 posts, read 24,340,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktqtp View Post
Eh, Portland traffic worse than Denver? Laugh... Denver has a population of what, 2.something million? Portland is much more of a "small city" and I have never seen traffic in PDX like I have here (I-25 comes to mind). I also used to work in the transportation business, scheduling point to point courier service all across the nation. Denver was known as a bad traffic area - Portland? Nah... it's just a mini city. But for what it is, you can get a lot.
I work in the same business, in Denver and Portland. Portland's traffic is at least twice as worse as here. Trips from Tigard to PDX take up to 2 hours during rush hour. That is a 20 mile drive. The only time 20 mile drives take 2 hours in Denver is when we've got an unusually bad snowstorm. In Portland, they are a pretty regular occurrence.

An operational change we had to make when we opened in PDX (from the owners):
Quote:
All,
I'm not trying to complicate everyone's life, but we need to make a change here in Portland. The tree huggers here refuse to build more highways (they figure if it gets bad enough, everyone will switch to mass transit), so afternoon rush hour is really gruesome, particularly when crossing the river to get to and from the airport. We've had a lot of resistance from people here about doing those runs, because they only get paid the minimum and can easily spend 2.5 - 3 hrs stuck on the highway. Basically, they are wanting to turn all those runs down.

So, effective immediately, we have agreed to pay 80% on the runs in PDX only, that are going to or from the airport between 3-6 pm.
Drivers usually make 50-60%.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
There's definitely a reason your friend found an apt in No Portland for $540 a month. It's one of the highest crime areas of Metro Portland.
Statistics don't lie, but Portland crime is nothing. I only say this because after growing up in the area (20 years) and then moving to a bigger city with real crime, I feel that there really is no reason to be concerned about it there. Besides, good ol' gentrification turned N Portland into NoPo and brought luxury lofts & the yellow line (light rail) to the area. Alberta & Albina, once considered "the worst part of town" became a hipster hot-spot overnight. Of course, this was almost 10 years ago now.

The undesirable part of NoPo is mainly the yet-to-be-gentrified residential areas that butt up next to the industrial district along the river. There is also inexpensive housing way up in the north there thanks to UP.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I work in the same business, in Denver and Portland. Portland's traffic is at least twice as worse as here. Trips from Tigard to PDX take up to 2 hours during rush hour. That is a 20 mile drive. The only time 20 mile drives take 2 hours in Denver is when we've got an unusually bad snowstorm. In Portland, they are a pretty regular occurrence.

An operational change we had to make when we opened in PDX (from the owners):

Drivers usually make 50-60%.
Oh yeah, there have been and always will be really nasty bottlenecks going in/out of Portland. To/from the 'burbs. I sought out Wolfram for this, and it seems we are actually twins:

This compounds things, though:

Mmmm, graphs...

At least we're not LA

Old 05-07-2014, 09:12 AM

86,900 posts, read 102,364,631 times
There are plenty of COL calculators on the web. Here's one:
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney
YMMV

Old 05-07-2014, 10:23 AM

107 posts, read 142,322 times
I lived in PDX from 2006-2009 and the Denver area for the rest. My thoughts from five years ago:

PDX traffic can be bad, especially if you're coming in on Hwy 26 (I think; it's the one that comes in from Beaverton, goes through a tunnel before entering PDX). That highway is a nightmare. 405 can also suck badly. Traffic here in Denver is terrible any time between 7-9am and 4-6pm.

Cost of living seemed roughly equal at the time. I don't recall having to spend more on groceries or anything like that. Rent was a bit cheaper in PDX for what you got. I had a very nice one-bedroom apartment in the Pearl District, an upscale part of downtown PDX, for $1300. I don't think I could've had anything comparable in Denver for that amount. Quality of life, I would say, is better in PDX, but I'm not a huge mountain buff. You have a lot of variety in PDX. The ocean and some nice ocean communities are 90 minutes away. Seattle is 90 minutes away. The city is laid out very conveniently and is easy to get around in, especially with all of the mass transit options you have there. The weather here is a million times better. Then, there are the people...

Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 AM

12,264 posts, read 8,049,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurn View Post
I lived in PDX from 2006-2009 and the Denver area for the rest. My thoughts from five years ago:

PDX traffic can be bad, especially if you're coming in on Hwy 26 (I think; it's the one that comes in from Beaverton, goes through a tunnel before entering PDX). That highway is a nightmare. 405 can also suck badly. Traffic here in Denver is terrible any time between 7-9am and 4-6pm.

Cost of living seemed roughly equal at the time. I don't recall having to spend more on groceries or anything like that. Rent was a bit cheaper in PDX for what you got. I had a very nice one-bedroom apartment in the Pearl District, an upscale part of downtown PDX, for $1300. I don't think I could've had anything comparable in Denver for that amount. Quality of life, I would say, is better in PDX, but I'm not a huge mountain buff. You have a lot of variety in PDX. The ocean and some nice ocean communities are 90 minutes away. Seattle is 90 minutes away. The city is laid out very conveniently and is easy to get around in, especially with all of the mass transit options you have there. The weather here is a million times better. Then, there are the people...
The people? Care to elaborate? Are the people better here or in Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or