U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
1,896 posts, read 3,994,654 times
Reputation: 890

Advertisements

My landlord is a single guy who owns a bunch of multifamily places within central Denver, including where you're looking.

When we moved out here, we basically only looked at large professionally managed buildings because everything smaller went too fast. I'd email someone and by the time we were able to get out here, the places were gone. That basically meant living in a place that wasn't really my style for a year. It took me over 2 months to find a place I liked after my first lease was up, and that was with me living here. The larger buildings are probably your best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 AM
 
16 posts, read 13,132 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
My landlord is a single guy who owns a bunch of multifamily places within central Denver, including where you're looking.

When we moved out here, we basically only looked at large professionally managed buildings because everything smaller went too fast. I'd email someone and by the time we were able to get out here, the places were gone. That basically meant living in a place that wasn't really my style for a year. It took me over 2 months to find a place I liked after my first lease was up, and that was with me living here. The larger buildings are probably your best bet.
Yeah I'm starting to think so also.

I think I've narrowed it down to

Ball Park Lofts
The Yards at Denargo Market
City Gate

Know of any others near downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
898 posts, read 988,530 times
Reputation: 1366
Skyline 1801 on 18th and Arapahoe.

We visited all 4 properties - Ball park lofts, and the yards was a dorm pretty much. Lots of college kids, lots of noise, not my cup of tea.

City gate was nice, but the area (across from the yards) is kind of sketchy.

Try looking up skyline 1801 they are pretty good, right downtown (closer to LoDo than the rest of them) and have many amenities

However, how will you get approved without a job??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 11:05 AM
 
16 posts, read 13,132 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Skyline 1801 on 18th and Arapahoe.

We visited all 4 properties - Ball park lofts, and the yards was a dorm pretty much. Lots of college kids, lots of noise, not my cup of tea.

City gate was nice, but the area (across from the yards) is kind of sketchy.

Try looking up skyline 1801 they are pretty good, right downtown (closer to LoDo than the rest of them) and have many amenities

However, how will you get approved without a job??
Thanks for the tips!

Bank statement, credit history? I assumed those things would work?

How do the college kids get approved?

They are like dorms? Hmm, well I do need to meet new friends, perhaps a dorm setting would help. Are they really college kids or fresh out of college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
898 posts, read 988,530 times
Reputation: 1366
Some are college kids, others fresh out of college. For a party-seeker these are great, they throw happy hours and drinks by the pool, etc.

There are lots of college kids in skyline as well but since it is a building and all common spaces are inside or on the roof you get less noise IN your apartment vs a community where your windows face the pool or a central area if that makes any sense?

I think most places require a co-signer if you don't have pay stubs. If you are currently employed you can use your current stubs and say you will be telecommuting. It's what we did for convenience eventhough I had a job lined up already. Like others said, landlords can afford to be selective in a tight market such as Denver.

You might like it, we didn't. For what it's worth if you are ok with the party / dorm lifestyle The Yards will give you the MOST for your money out of all those apartments. Big apartments, new appliances, very very nice overall. Just so you know we barely saw any women there - all dudes. I'm married so I'm not looking for women, but the Yards had wayyy too much testosterone going on. When I asked the guy who showed us the apartment what the demographics were like he said and I quote "I am not allowed to answer that question" To which we said thanks but no thanks.

Another suggestion, which we considered: stay at Extended Stay America or a similar extended stay hotel until you find a place you like. That will buy you time and allow you to look at apartments locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 01:09 PM
 
16 posts, read 13,132 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Some are college kids, others fresh out of college. For a party-seeker these are great, they throw happy hours and drinks by the pool, etc.

There are lots of college kids in skyline as well but since it is a building and all common spaces are inside or on the roof you get less noise IN your apartment vs a community where your windows face the pool or a central area if that makes any sense?

I think most places require a co-signer if you don't have pay stubs. If you are currently employed you can use your current stubs and say you will be telecommuting. It's what we did for convenience eventhough I had a job lined up already. Like others said, landlords can afford to be selective in a tight market such as Denver.

You might like it, we didn't. For what it's worth if you are ok with the party / dorm lifestyle The Yards will give you the MOST for your money out of all those apartments. Big apartments, new appliances, very very nice overall. Just so you know we barely saw any women there - all dudes. I'm married so I'm not looking for women, but the Yards had wayyy too much testosterone going on. When I asked the guy who showed us the apartment what the demographics were like he said and I quote "I am not allowed to answer that question" To which we said thanks but no thanks.

Another suggestion, which we considered: stay at Extended Stay America or a similar extended stay hotel until you find a place you like. That will buy you time and allow you to look at apartments locally.
I was looking at reviews of the Yards and a few complained about homeless people on their walk to downtown. That doesn't sound fun but I am a dude so I could handle it, as long as they don't have weapons.

What was your opinion of The Ball Park Lofts? Dude fest there also? Lot smaller apartments?

SKyline 1801 looks nice but seems a few hundred bucks more expensive than the others we discussed.

I can afford it just not sure if I want to spend that much. Although I'm realizing I need to factor in ameities like free Gym and Parking. I was looking at capitol hill, lot older apartments, about 1000$ for rent or around there, but then it's further away from downtown, no free reserved parking (which can run 100 or something extra a month). So it's almost like theres no reason not to go with the more expensive apartment complexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
898 posts, read 988,530 times
Reputation: 1366
Yea it's true and we factored those in.

Here's the breakdown:
City Gate has parking included in the rent (I think the Yards does as well)
Skyline does NOT - so it's $100 for parking and there's a waiting list. But Skyline includes DirectTV and Internet for FREE which is fun. For us it made more sense.

Ballpark is a little older, less flashy than city gate and Yards but definitely more mixed. Even city gate is more mixed - men and women and they have a sweet gym and projector room with xbox so that's fun.

Skyline has a dog run in the building but i think the others do as well.

Yea Cap Hill if you dont have reserved parking you will be in trouble.

So back to Skyline - free direct tv and internet but the gym is SMALL and parking is $100-150 a month so factor that in. We got a month free on a 12 month lease which we prorated and I think the other ones will give you the same thing.

I know this post was kind of all over the place but hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM
 
16 posts, read 13,132 times
Reputation: 10
After careful consideration. I've decided to stay away from living in College 2.0, the reviews on those apt complexes in ballpark area are unappealing.

I am now set on Capitol Hill.

If I want to experience the college pubs, LoDo is just a mile away, no problem.

As far as meeting people in their 20's early 30s, does Capitol Hill fit the bill? I've heard good things about Washington Park.

What are the differences?

P.S. I just found someone flipping off the google camera in Capitol Hill:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7128...bg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Last edited by anco; 05-07-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
2,254 posts, read 4,509,844 times
Reputation: 2458
A friend of mine just moved in to 1000 S. Broadway and it's really nice. The units feel more like upscale condos than apartments...quartz counters, wood floors, in-unit washer/dryer, rooftop lounge areas, gated parking garage, etc. I think they are offering good move-in deals because it's still under construction. It's only about 5 minutes from downtown in a cool area. I don't think links are kosher on here but just google the address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2014, 08:50 PM
 
20,853 posts, read 39,090,718 times
Reputation: 19115
Links are OKAY if someone has at least 10 good postings.

Links to specific realtor sites are not allowed.

Links that are obviously someone advertising or promoting themselves are not allowed.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-08-2014 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top