U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,201,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
The lack of ethnic diversity of Wash Park is the one thing that will probably result in my family moving out of the neighborhood. We want to give our son a setting where he can relate to some of the kids his age from an ethnic standpoint and that's been a factor that's been maddeningly missing from Wash Park. But other than that lack of ethnic, and economic, diversity Wash Park is an awesome neighborhood that actually feels like a neighborhood with the associated, distinctive character. Given the number of young, affluent families that are in the area, I do expect the schools to be of far better quality in the next 10-15 years than they are now. Not everyone will go to the new Byers DSST, up to East, or into the IB program at GW and that will bode well for South.

Now if only DPS could bolster their athletic programs, i.e. football, in order to crush those Cherry Creek and Dougco ****heads all would be well with the world.
I live in Stapleton and my kids (they're bi-racial) go to Denver Language School. I've extremely happy with this school (seems as good as a high-tuition private school) and it's very diverse, racially speaking (probably economically as well). While our immediate neighborhood is probably 80% white, it doesn't concern me. My kids are exposed to all races of children and adults in our daily business, and that's normal to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Hit or miss. It used to be that everyone left the city for better suburban schools, but increasingly, people want to stay in the city. DPS still has its issues, but is vastly improved.

Way to put me on the spot! I'm not sure I have the writing capability to adequately describe what constitutes a neighborhoods character.

I guess the place to start is the park that gives the neighborhood its name. It is the crown jewel of the Denver Parks system and the most popular destination park in the city. I'm not sure I can put a value on being a few blocks away from it. It is always vibrant, even in the off hours or off season. I enjoy it when it's quiet and I almost have it to myself and I enjoy equally when it it so crowded that I can hardly find a place to sit down. The summer evening free classical music and big band concerts are so much fun to take in.

Obviously you have the great feel in the neighborhood that comes from mature tree lined streets and the mixed architecture of classic 1930s bungalows and new custom construction. While the square footage has gone up, the new construction has largely been done in brick and in the craftsman style that suits the neighborhood.

The people that live here are a great mix of old timers, young singles, and new families. As with most of Denver, I think the ethnic diversity could be better, but I think by living in the city you are exposed to more diversity than you are in the suburbs. There are more families here than in a lot of the Denver neighborhoods because the elementary school is so good.

Walkablility is another huge factor. Within a few blocks we have great shops, restaurants, bars and other amenities. I do not have to get in my car every day, especially when the weather warms up.

Central location and proximity to most of the rest of the city is another big thing. I can be downtown in a matter of minutes. I can ride my bike to Cherry Creek in under 10 minutes.

These are just a few thoughts and I'm sure that I am missing a lot of what makes this place so great. I had a friend recently relocate his family here from Phoenix. He made the comment to me that if he had never rented in Wash Park he wouldn't understand why it costs so much, but having lived here now he gets it. Maybe that's what it takes?
Good answer. These are all the reasons why I would move to Wash Park (if I were moving). Obviously these aspects attract a lot of people, or else prices wouldn't be so high. But many people don't care about walkability/architecture/central urban locations.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,805,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Good answer. These are all the reasons why I would move to Wash Park (if I were moving). Obviously these aspects attract a lot of people, or else prices wouldn't be so high. But many people don't care about walkability/architecture/central urban locations.
Those also were the reasons why we wanted to move to Wash Park. Alas, we had caviar dreams on a peanut salary.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Those also were the reasons why we wanted to move to Wash Park. Alas, we had caviar dreams on a peanut salary.
Well, there's always Aurora

Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,805,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, there's always Aurora
ha! We ended up buying in Castle Rock and love it down here, but nothing compares to the houses in Wash Park.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
ha! We ended up buying in Castle Rock and love it down here, but nothing compares to the houses in Wash Park.
You probably have much better views in Castle Rock though!

Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 14 days ago)

10,881 posts, read 29,294,622 times
Default Coming to Castle Rock

Skiing in Castle Rock? Town could get a synthetic-snow sports facility - Denver Business Journal

Old 05-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 14 days ago)

10,881 posts, read 29,294,622 times
Default 5280 Magazine explains real estate in Denver

Denver Real Estate 2014: A 5280 Guide

To help prospective buyers and sellers navigate the tight Denver market, in this month's 5280 we examined the numbers and trends in some of the more sought-after neighborhoods in the Mile High City. We also offer a few tips and ticks for buyers and sellers. Trust us, in this fast-paced market, you're going to need 'em.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:53 AM

553 posts, read 787,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDaly View Post
why yes there is plenty of research out there that has formed my opinion and if it differs from your opinion then so be it, i'm cool with that. I do wonder why you're here because this entire forum is opinion though?
The entire forum is opinion based? Not quite. There's at least one or two actual relevant facts in here. They are hard to find though among all the "mortgage obtaining, sheep to slaughter middle class" comments.[/quote]

All opinions are not equal. Some are well informed, sophisticated, and better supported in fact, logic and argument than your average brownie's blather.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:07 AM

553 posts, read 787,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
The entire forum is opinion based? Not quite. There's at least one or two actual relevant facts in here. They are hard to find though among all the "mortgage obtaining, sheep to slaughter middle class" comments. All opinions are not equal. Some are well informed, sophisticated, and better supported in fact, logic and argument than your average brownie's blather.
Note: That was not a pointed comment, rather an observation. I'm finding City-Data is somewhat lacking in critical thought . . . distinguishing facts from often biased provincial opinions.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-05-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver