U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 07:15 AM

10,904 posts, read 29,390,124 times

Advertisements

How many days on market was this house when you bid?

Tale of two deals - one tool 10k less after 15 days, 20 showings and two open houses. The other got 2k more than asking after 4 days on the market. These properties where a half mile from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Gays and potheads should do wonders for the housing market.
Double income no kids....this liberal gay "pothead" is coming to a town near you. My money is green too, buddy. ;-)

Old 10-27-2015, 10:08 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,505,404 times
I just saw the charts thread updated. Things are still going really strong. I suspect there is pent up demand that will keep the selling pace brisk for at least a couple of years. I checked it because there was an open house in my neighborhood this weekend so I went on-line, curious to see if it went under contract. Not yet but two other homes for sale in the neighborhood did. And a couple in an adjacent neighborhood seem to have gone under contract also.

Nice to see things move so fast. Were running behind central Denver and the southern suburbs in terms of fast appreciation. Probably because we don't have rail yet. Interesting to see what happens in 2018 when we get the rail up north. I still think I would be on par for what I paid in 2002 + improvements - real estate commission if I sold today. So for buyers the northern suburbs is probably still a bargain.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:46 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I just saw the charts thread updated. Things are still going really strong. I suspect there is pent up demand that will keep the selling pace brisk for at least a couple of years. I checked it because there was an open house in my neighborhood this weekend so I went on-line, curious to see if it went under contract. Not yet but two other homes for sale in the neighborhood did. And a couple in an adjacent neighborhood seem to have gone under contract also.

Nice to see things move so fast. Were running behind central Denver and the southern suburbs in terms of fast appreciation. Probably because we don't have rail yet. Interesting to see what happens in 2018 when we get the rail up north. I still think I would be on par for what I paid in 2002 + improvements - real estate commission if I sold today. So for buyers the northern suburbs is probably still a bargain.
I feel like things are leveling off in my area. I see more homes for sale and lower prices than earlier this year.

We get rail in February. Waiting to see what that does.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:02 AM

This is the one I went to the open house for. Stunning setting. I don't think the pictures capture the magnificent views well. In person the views are much more impressive. Asking price is higher than one on the lake that sold earlier this year. That one didn't have an open house so I didn't see the interior but in the pictures it was very pretty. The lake properties don't become available that often so it will be interesting to see how fast it sells. 14087 Lexington Cir, Westminster, CO 80023 | Zillow

This one which is also on the lake just went under contract, or at least I just saw it as under contract. It is a brand new, never lived in, home.
2010 Tiverton Avenue, Broomfield, CO | MLS 2882906 | Listing Information

A couple of others went under contract also. Both very nice homes.
13807 Lexington Pl, Westminster, CO 80023 | Zillow
&
13957 Lexington Place, Westminster, CO | MLS 2044927 | Listing Information

At this point there are only 3 for sale in the neighborhood. Will be interesting to see how fast they go. I didn't expect there to be alot of activity this time of year but it appears that there is. Based on the charts and data thread it appears pent up demand is quite high. In the past the neighborhood has been a bit of a destination neighborhood. Everyone seemed to know about it and many people wanted to move there when they could afford it. Now with the influx of out of the area buyers homes seem to be flying off the shelves.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:12 AM

6,940 posts, read 6,550,788 times
Quote:
This is the one I went to the open house for. Stunning setting. I don't think the pictures capture the magnificent views well. In person the views are much more impressive. Asking price is higher than one on the lake that sold earlier this year. That one didn't have an open house so I didn't see the interior but in the pictures it was very pretty. The lake properties don't become available that often so it will be interesting to see how fast it sells. 14087 Lexington Cir, Westminster, CO 80023 | Zillow

This one which is also on the lake just went under contract, or at least I just saw it as under contract. It is a brand new, never lived in, home.
2010 Tiverton Avenue, Broomfield, CO | MLS 2882906 | Listing Information

A couple of others went under contract also. Both very nice homes.
13807 Lexington Pl, Westminster, CO 80023 | Zillow
&
13957 Lexington Place, Westminster, CO | MLS 2044927 | Listing Information

At this point there are only 3 for sale in the neighborhood. Will be interesting to see how fast they go. I didn't expect there to be alot of activity this time of year but it appears that there is. Based on the charts and data thread it appears pent up demand is quite high. In the past the neighborhood has been a bit of a destination neighborhood. Everyone seemed to know about it and many people wanted to move there when they could afford it. Now with the influx of out of the area buyers homes seem to be flying off the shelves.
It's amazing to see how much more house you can get in the burbs. I forget sometimes.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It's amazing to see how much more house you can get in the burbs. I forget sometimes.
The amazing thing is that we have more walk-ability than most urban neighborhoods. Everything is within walking distance. King Sooper, banks, car repair, hospital, Lowes, Macy's, Target, Walmart, huge number of restaurants (most with outdoor patio so your dog can go with you) Montessori, elementary and high school, although the middle school has to bus. Granted we drive to alot of these places because the stuff you buy is often too much to carry but alot of times if my husband is headed to Lowes for a bolt or small part he takes the dog. I have taken her to Advanced Auto, Firestone (to drop off or pick up a car), the bank (they always give her a snack) and the Orchard Town Center and she loves the extra walking trips. On top of that there is the natural trail around the lake along with paths in every direction that interconnect all over the place. So far it isn't very crowded. It used to be I could go days and not see anyone. Now I see 3 or 4 people per day and since we all are regulars we know each other for the most part. We do lack good public transportation. We only have a weekday/work hours bus, but that does well for my husband on bad snow days.

On top of all that we are 26 min. to Denver, 30 min. to Boulder and 26 min. to the airport. Very excited to have rail come to us in 2018 as I think that will give everything a big boost.

Last edited by mic111; 10-28-2015 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM

459 posts, read 674,637 times
Quote:
The amazing thing is that we have more walk-ability than most urban neighborhoods. Everything is within walking distance. King Sooper, banks, car repair, hospital, Lowes, Macy's, Target, Walmart, huge number of restaurants (most with outdoor patio so your dog can go with you) Montessori, elementary and high school, although the middle school has to bus. Granted we drive to alot of these places because the stuff you buy is often too much to carry but alot of times if my husband is headed to Lowes for a bolt or small part he takes the dog. I have taken her to Advanced Auto, Firestone (to drop off or pick up a car), the bank (they always give her a snack) and the Orchard Town Center and she loves the extra walking trips. On top of that there is the natural trail around the lake along with paths in every direction that interconnect all over the place. So far it isn't very crowded. It used to be I could go days and not see anyone. Now I see 3 or 4 people per day and since we all are regulars we know each other for the most part. We do lack good public transportation. We only have a weekday/work hours bus, but that does well for my husband on bad snow days.

On top of all that we are 26 min. to Denver, 30 min. to Boulder and 26 min. to the airport. Very excited to have rail come to us in 2018 as I think that will give everything a big boost.
Gonna have to disagree with you there

Good value, nice homes, but by most definitions it's not walkable. There's a few houses in that area that are somewhat walkable but they are closer to Huron. The way those neighborhoods are designed it may be close as the crow flies but not as the roads, paths, etc are created, so if you get too far into the subdivision it's too long of a walk for most people.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
Gonna have to disagree with you there

Good value, nice homes, but by most definitions it's not walkable. There's a few houses in that area that are somewhat walkable but they are closer to Huron. The way those neighborhoods are designed it may be close as the crow flies but not as the roads, paths, etc are created, so if you get too far into the subdivision it's too long of a walk for most people.
It certainly isn't as compact as downtown Denver but I think if the walkscore noted all the places in the area (which it doesn't cover most of them) you would see the numerical score increase quite a bit. With everything within a mile on nicely done concrete paths and underpasses under the major roads it is very walkable for people who desire to do so. Europeans and city dwellers like those in NYC are very used to walking a few blocks to get to something. I've been in lots of the neighborhoods in Denver that are considered walkable and they don't have 1/4 of the stuff within walking distance. Not to mention that this area has nice concrete paths with underpasses under the major roadways so you aren't sucking car fumes or risking your life when you walk.

But all that being said, most people right now don't walk anywhere. The US has a car driving culture and people will get in their car to go across the street. However CO is one of the few places that emphasizes paths everywhere and the new in thing is being able to walk places. This area is unique in that you can get a place like this:
971 W 149th Ave, Broomfield, CO 80023 | Zillow
2.5 acres with horse land, beautiful home for $669K and yet walk across the street to movies, dinner, stores etc.

But you would point out their walk score is 19 and it is car dependent because they have to walk by a couple of houses on big lots to get to the movies, free concerts and dinner.

If this home were down south of Denver (with this size of a lot) it would probably be a couple of million and you wouldn't be able to walk places. Big walkable lots aren't for everyone but for those who do want to walk and live on acreage instead of postage stamps this is a really good area.

Edit:
Take this home for example.
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...76_rect/13_zm/
Walk score is 29. Car dependent. But in reality you could walk to all the same places. Yes it is a longer walk but the quality of the walk is extraordinary high. Going from here to Orchard Town Center you would go around McKay lake. Pass by horses and donkeys (who often come over for a scritch on the head). Pass through a wooded area. Go along a wet land stream bed, travel under Huron make a left and you are there.

For the 2.5 acre home above the walk is down a country lane with llamas and horses.

For many people these are very nice walks. And for those in the area we easily cover these distances on a daily basis walking our dogs.

Last edited by mic111; 10-28-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 01:26 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,846,644 times
There was a house on our street that went up for sale and within a few days , the house was under contract. When I initially looked at the house, I thought the price they were asking was too high (315,000). Now, I don't know the agreed upon price and won't know until they close, but I was shocked it went under contract so fast.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...9_M25115-28033

You can see the previous sale was June 2013 for 258,000. Over 50K in equity is just 2 1/2 years is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver