Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 PM

688 posts, read 1,094,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
Also unless you move to some other metro area that isn't appreciating as much, your gains aren't really what they seem to be.
Not only that, but your assessments and taxes go up, up, up. You get to share your newfound largesse with the tax authorities.

Be careful what you wish for...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:16 AM

2,247 posts, read 3,027,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
that is flippin' nuts!

Not to put my personal business out there......but to put things in perspective for new construction, we bought our new construction house in Parker for $365,000 (base price) back in September. Our very same house is now selling for $420,990!

The exact same house, with maybe a few grand in incentives, is selling for $51,000 more today than what we paid 9 months ago! holy ****.
I bought a year ago (a resale) and my same place has gone up roughly 10% in value since then. This very same thing happened in Phoenix about 2-3 years ago (I bought 3 years ago there and sold a year ago). My house went up in value almost 15% in value in less then 2 years. Right as I was selling it started to stagnate and prices have remained level ever since and average days on market has risen significantly. The difference is, Phoenix has not kept pace on job growth and wages plus the investors all left for greener pastures. Denver continues to generate jobs like crazy (wage growth is slower). I predict it will slow down significantly when either a) job growth slows down substantially and/or b) lack of wage growth finally has an impact, especially once interest rates rise, making us hit a price ceiling and pricing a significant number of potential buyers out of the market.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 AM

17,669 posts, read 29,550,848 times
Default How times change

When Sun Valley (a neighborhood in the City & County of Denver) is hot, then Denver is on fire.

Steam on the Platte a gem of a property
"Veteran Denver developer Susan Powers on Tuesday unveiled plans for a $50 million, mixed-use development on a 3.2-acre site on an all but forgotten gritty stretch along the Platte River near" Mile High Stadium.

Think about this people: Sun Valley !

Old 07-22-2015, 08:40 AM

572 posts, read 547,665 times
whittier is hot/desirable too now also, it's kinda crazy out there....

Old 07-25-2015, 12:40 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
When Sun Valley (a neighborhood in the City & County of Denver) is hot, then Denver is on fire.

"Veteran Denver developer Susan Powers on Tuesday unveiled plans for a $50 million, mixed-use development on a 3.2-acre site on an all but forgotten gritty stretch along the Platte River near" Mile High Stadium.

Yeah. I think Villa Park and the Barnums are already gone.

What a shame.

Westwood, Mar Lee, you're next.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:39 AM

5,314 posts, read 5,037,498 times
Quote:

The whole ring to the north and west of downtown is ripe for new building. It's run down but not ghetto and it's close. It's weird how fast things transition after leaving downtown.

The same with a lot of the area along the w line all the way to union st.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:04 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 179,662 times
There will be a few things that will affect every city across the country.... interest rates rising, and the nationwide economy. True that all real estate trends are local, but nobody escapes those two things.

Then you have local factors. The housing in Denver has been on an absolute tear. Are the prices sustainable? You really have to look at the affordability index, which factors in wage/job growth in comparison to housing price appreciation. That analysis would suggest that Denver is a little overheated right now, but not as bad as places like Austin and Orange County. If I had a job in Denver and was looking for a place to live for 5 years, I would have no problem buying. If I was investing, I would be looking at other metros like Boston or Chicago. Those places are not cheap, but their affordability index is better.

I don't think there is a bubble here. But I also don't think you can buy a home today expecting 10% annual increases going forward, either.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:05 AM

17,669 posts, read 29,550,848 times
Default Anecdotal datum

A friend of mine just bought a house and is renting it out.
1. Near Anschutz in Aurora.
2. $100K - so, you know it is a dump
3. $1200/mo

You do the math.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,020,768 times
Quote:
3. $1200/mo

You do the math.
I think I'd call that an anecdotal dayum instead! Wow, makes me want to scrape together some money and buy a crappy house in Aurora.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 AM

112 posts, read 167,403 times
Quote:
3. $1200/mo

You do the math.
if i was interested in investing in RE, that's an area i'd strongly consider. new light rail showing up soon, lots of development coming with the new hyatt they're building there, and an endless supply of renters who would work at the medical center and need a place nearby to stay, either short- or long-term.

the area south of colfax is pretty quiet - very diverse, but i don't get a sketchy vibe from it, at least the way i do from some other areas around denver.

things could really change there in the next 5-10 years with stapleton getting more and more expensive.

ymmv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver