U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 14,664 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was all set to move to Denver this summer before I found out the Breed Specific Legislation was reinstated in the Denver area. I have a lovable amazing pit bull mix, who although small, still definitely has "pit" features. I feel like I have an idea of the legal side, but am wondering about actual enforcement. I don't want to have to hide my puppy or feel like I can't take her to a vet if she needs care. I am absolutely unwilling to risk having her taken away. Are there cities/ towns outside of Denver where there is no BSL or are there particularly friendly neighborhoods within Denver proper?

PLEASE do not write to argue whether there should or should not be BSL. I am looking for information from other dog lovers about how to best look out for my dog, whom I consider a member of my own family.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
This question has been discussed on several previous threads. I suggest you do a Forum Search (at the top of the page) and enter BSL Denver. I just did that and found a ton of information.

Regarding "particularly friendly neighborhoods within Denver", don't even go there. If pitbulls are prohibited, then you are running a great risk to try to bring yours in.

Also, you will find by reading other threads is that landlords won't rent to you if you have a restricted breed. Please don't try to sneak your dog in if the lease clearly says not to.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:33 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,486,397 times
Pick a town without BSL. Here is a list of the ones to avoid.

Denver Area Breed Bans

There are many suburbs/towns in a 30 min. radius of Denver that have no BSL. Those with legislation do enforce it and do kill the dogs so don't take any chances.

If you post the area of your job then specific towns can be suggested. It makes no sense to suggest anything with out that info because your job could be on the other side of town.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM

13,946 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Default Something to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Pick a town without BSL.
Be aware that postal addresses and actual municipal boundaries are only vaguely related in greater Denver.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 PM

12,244 posts, read 8,033,606 times
The 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds

I know there will be people out there saying it is not the dog but the owner. I think it is a combination of both.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM

75 posts, read 126,030 times
I am going to have to do more research, but my sister has 3 (yes, 3) pit bulls and plans on moving to Lakewood.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks everyone! From what I can tell so far, Englewood and Lakewood allow pit bulls. There is a lot of conflicting information, but the one thing I keep hearing is Denver (and other BSL neighborhoods) DO enforce the law. So sad.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the search tip! I am new to message boards and threads.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM

206 posts, read 209,711 times
Denver dodges another one.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:32 AM

283 posts, read 353,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktownash View Post
Hello,
I was all set to move to Denver this summer before I found out the Breed Specific Legislation was reinstated in the Denver area. I have a lovable amazing pit bull mix, who although small, still definitely has "pit" features. I feel like I have an idea of the legal side, but am wondering about actual enforcement. I don't want to have to hide my puppy or feel like I can't take her to a vet if she needs care. I am absolutely unwilling to risk having her taken away. Are there cities/ towns outside of Denver where there is no BSL or are there particularly friendly neighborhoods within Denver proper? ...
I LOVE Pit Bulls and all "Bully-type" dogs (well, all dogs actually). I had a pit bull before I moved to CO last year and had found a suitable place in Wheat Ridge that allowed me to take her with me, but she died right before my move. I have other pets but miss my Little Girl.

Here's a list that may help:
Welcoming Colorado Cities - * * * * * * * ColoRADogs

My suggestion is to take it seriously when a city disallows pit bulls. Don't think that you can hide your dog in your home because believe me there are many crazy people who are dead-set against the breed and will report you.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or