U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:25 PM

11 posts, read 80,343 times

Advertisements

My family and I (husband and two young kids) just came back from a Christmas trip, two weeks in Denver and Estes Park. We also visited Boulder. And I have to say, most of the people that we ran into were just so nice. Unbelievably so.... We are from South Florida, a big sprawl of a mess where every driver seems to cut you off if you're driving 70 mph on the highway! People give us the finger for finding a parking space before they do. Very few people even say "good day", etc. in passing....and these are people in our own neighborhood!

The moment we arrived at the airport we were greeted by the friendliest, most authentic people ever. One lady at a downtown parking lot even OFFERED her parking space to us when we were searching for parking. Another man gave me his place in line "just because," he said. Drivers even let pedestrians have the right of way in this state!!! This Floridian is READY to move to Colorado. What a great people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 05:42 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,031,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiecorbo View Post
My family and I (husband and two young kids) just came back from a Christmas trip, two weeks in Denver and Estes Park. We also visited Boulder. And I have to say, most of the people that we ran into were just so nice. Unbelievably so.... We are from South Florida, a big sprawl of a mess where every driver seems to cut you off if you're driving 70 mph on the highway! People give us the finger for finding a parking space before they do. Very few people even say "good day", etc. in passing....and these are people in our own neighborhood!

The moment we arrived at the airport we were greeted by the friendliest, most authentic people ever. One lady at a downtown parking lot even OFFERED her parking space to us when we were searching for parking. Another man gave me his place in line "just because," he said. Drivers even let pedestrians have the right of way in this state!!! This Floridian is READY to move to Colorado. What a great people.

although nice on the surface can SOMEtimes be all you're shown for a while (or ever...it may never go beyond that veneer or one time meeting with some people), i do think some of us need to remember how lucky we might be, relatively, here. of course if people are callous EVERYwhere but just in different ways, Gyawd help us. it can be a pleasant place, though. on behalf of colorado, i'm glad you liked it.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,369,224 times
Just a quick thought. I believe Boulder/Denver was rated the #1 place for singles at one time.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:01 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,369,224 times
Quote:

Having spent 25 of my 45 years in the North end of Palm Beach County and having lived 4-5 years in Westminster I can validate this. The N. Palm Beach social scene in my day was very much about "Where do you live, what do you do , what do you drive?" But that was back in the Reagan years. Money was king, and the Palm Beaches are very status concious. Of course money is still king, much to my chagrin, LOL!

By contrast I ran into very little of that in The Denver/Boulder area. In fact it was such a change I wasn't sure it was real, LOL!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Having spent 25 of my 45 years in the North end of Palm Beach County and having lived 4-5 years in Westminster I can validate this. The N. Palm Beach social scene in my day was very much about "Where do you live, what do you do , what do you drive?" But that was back in the Reagan years. Money was king, and the Palm Beaches are very status concious. Of course money is still king, much to my chagrin, LOL!

By contrast I ran into very little of that in The Denver/Boulder area. In fact it was such a change I wasn't sure it was real, LOL!
there is plenty of that in boulder/denver, too. maybe not necessarily on the surface - though the surface can certainly "count" in it's own ways - but can be quite there.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 AM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
although nice on the surface can SOMEtimes be all you're shown for a while (or ever...it may never go beyond that veneer or one time meeting with some people), i do think some of us need to remember how lucky we might be, relatively, here. of course if people are callous EVERYwhere but just in different ways, Gyawd help us. it can be a pleasant place, though. on behalf of colorado, i'm glad you liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
there is plenty of that in boulder/denver, too. maybe not necessarily on the surface - though the surface can certainly "count" in it's own ways - but can be quite there.
I certainly agree that these little niceties can def make daily living easier. However, there will be many times when someone squeezes you out of a parking space you thought was "yours", not let you over on the interstate when you want to get off, etc. I agree with hello-world, on behalf of Colorado, I'm glad you two had good experiences. Denver-Boulder, especially Boulder, can be quite snooty. There is a lot of intellectual snobbery there (He doesn't even have a PhD!, etc), and a keep up with the Jones' mentality re: outdoor activities (How many fourteeners have YOU climbed?, etc). In the long run, there are cultural differences, but people are people. I would not come here expecting CO to be one big "love-in".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-06-2008 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: left it alone after all

Old 01-06-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I certainly agree that these little niceties can def make daily living easier. However, there will be many times when someone squeezes you out of a parking space you thought was "yours", not let you over on the interstate when you want to get off, etc. I agree with hello-world, on behalf of Colorado, I'm glad you two had good experiences. Denver-Boulder, especially Boulder, can be quite snooty. There is a lot of intellectual snobbery there (He doesn't even have a PhD!, etc), and a keep up with the Jones' mentality re: outdoor activities (How many fourteeners have YOU climbed?, etc). In the long run, there are cultural differences, but people are people. I would not come here expecting CO to be one big "love-in".
"those that think they know don't know; those that know they don't know know". seems to maybe fit some of the last bit of what you mentioned, pittnurse. it's funny how often people think that when they have a bachelor's degree, "they are well educated" (though they may have just spent 4 or 6 years on a mom and dad financed vacation); people that think that when they have a PhD, "they know" (though they may never have much of an idea of what anyone else is talking about because they can't see past "they know" - "they know already, so their assumption must be correct"); people that have a million dollars in the bank "found success" (a village of thousands may have burned in a far off land in indirect consequence, and they may come back to sting their progeny...but THEY don't see that)... on another note, sometimes the "surface" is all you get to, regardless of whether "snooty" or not. like the surface...is all that's there...

Last edited by hello-world; 01-06-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-09-2008, 01:13 PM

14 posts, read 52,460 times
Default Singles in Colorado?

Moving to Colorado soon and trying to figure out what kind of young people are around the Denver area? Where are some great places to meet singles from the 25-35 age range? I know Boulder is the college town and there are places there but I really like the idea of downtown Denver. What are some places that you absolutely cannot miss?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,222,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
This is very well put. I have a second job that has me delivering publications to over 150 locations throughout Boulder and can honestly say that Boulder is very much one-of-a-kind. While I think Boulder is beautiful, I can't say the same about the majority of the population. Almost everyone I have come into contact with is exceedingly rude and they always seem hurried. Parking lot designs are a nightmare and lack any true space for cars bigger than a Focus. Many areas with street parking also force you to pay, so keep that mind.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:47 PM

29 posts, read 81,094 times
Default Menver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Nice find - makes sense to me. Darn Rockies & Avalanche.

We have to find a way to get more females relocated to Menver, and PRETTY ones. Denver already has enough of the butch-looking types. Actually, males outnumber females in other parts of the state, not just Denver.

MENVER!!!! hahahahaha I LOVE IT!!!! I am there!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to move somewhere where there are tons of HOT mountain men!!! Where I live in So. Cal. It seems like way more women to men ratio and serious competition. I am an attractive, feminine yet sporty woman movin on over to MENVER!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver