U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 PM

86,804 posts, read 102,087,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
Hmm.... Around Dallas, the "keep up with the Joneses" is leasing luxury cars, buying designer clothes, etc. I think often on credit. I think DFW has one of the lowest average credit scores in the country...

Would that attitude about the outdoor activities be out of arrogance/pretentiousness? Or more in a friendly competitive way? I haven't climbed a fourteener, will I be looked down upon by the "average" Denverite? Or would they welcome me along next time they go?
Probably the latter. They would expect you to want to go. ("They" being the mountain climbers.) People here are also into their cars. Years ago, when we first came here, some people drove Saabs and Volvos to show off their money. We arrived in-state with a Chevy Camaro and a Ford Fiesta. Presently, there are lots of SUVs around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 PM

163 posts, read 847,409 times
Quote:
I am planning to visit Denver for a few days (probably sometime between Christmas and New Year's). I know LoDo is one nightlife spot. Would I get a good feel for what people are like by going there? Or do they kind of put on a show when they go out as in Dallas? Can anyone make some other recommendations that I should see? Not tourist stuff, but the kind of everyday thing that would give me a taste of life and the people in the Denver area?

Thanks again.
Hi ESC,

I too live in Dallas and am contemplating a move to Denver in May. I haven't been there yet, but am planning a visit in March.

I'd be really interested to hear your viewpoint after you visit, as I have similar questions about what Denver and it's people are like, and how Denver compares to Dallas. Hopefully you can update this post with your thoughts after visiting?

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM

237 posts, read 1,007,175 times
I love the diversity of Denver. I'm in my 20s, single, originally from small towns & a medium-sized city. The first moment I stepped into Denver I felt instantly "at home". I've found the people to be open and friendly and the landscape to be beautiful.

I would have no problem saying the people are laid-back. Coming from Florida, where everyone drives a Benz and wears a Rolex, I was delightfully shocked to see that Denver was nothing like this. I don't have personal experience with all of the burbs of Denver, but I'd say Littleton is more family-oriented. But plenty of young people live there, too, I'd say you could find young people in all of the burbs. I'd suggest going west, which is my favorite area - Arvada, Westminster. As I always say, though, you can't predict where you're going to feel comfortable living until you're actually there.

As for bars in Denver, my experience downtown last Friday was great. Live music, Newscastle beer everywhere (yum!), and the mood is, overall, laid-back in the bars, also (how could you not be, though, when you're drunk??). I think you could find any kind of drinking establishment atmosphere that you could possible desire. There are many choices.

All in all, I'd safely say that if you enjoy the city and like the outdoors, then Denver is worth a chance. Good luck!

Last edited by PeanutButter11; 12-11-2007 at 10:02 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
esc esc started this thread

13 posts, read 50,152 times
Bigdummy, I will update after a visit. Also, maybe your perspective on why you want to leave Dallas for Denver will help me decide if I'm making the right choice.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:57 PM

HockeyFan,

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try most of them out. I've vacationed in Co many times, including the mnts just west of the city, it's a big part of what is drawing me there, I've just never spent time in Denver.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 PM

355 posts, read 2,219,102 times
esc,
I moved to Colorado from the DFW area over a year ago & I agree, I did not really enjoy the people there. I'm also 27, single, female & actually just moved to Denver from Longmont, which is sort of considered a 'suburb' about 45 miles away lol. In my opinion, the suburbs are NOT for single people like us. I'm glad I don't live in Longmont anymore where there is just a bunch of families & kids & SUVS--NOT the type of lifestyle I want to surround myself in!! I've only lived in Denver for 2 weeks now, but I think the majority of people here are friendly & welcoming. Nothing like Dallas.

I say move to Denver! Colorado is a great place to live

Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
I love the diversity of Denver. I'm a 26 year-old female, single, originally from small towns & a medium-sized city. The first moment I stepped into Denver I felt instantly "at home". I've found the people to be open and friendly and the landscape to be beautiful.

I would have no problem saying the people are laid-back. Coming from Florida, where everyone drives a Benz and wears a Rolex, I was delightfully shocked to see that Denver was nothing like this. I don't have personal experience with all of the burbs of Denver, but I'd say Littleton is more family-oriented. But plenty of young people live there, too, I'd say you could find young people in all of the burbs. I'd suggest going west, which is my favorite area - Arvada, Westminster. As I always say, though, you can't predict where you're going to feel comfortable living until you're actually there.

As for bars in Denver, my experience downtown last Friday was great. Live music, Newscastle beer everywhere (yum!), and the mood is, overall, laid-back in the bars, also (how could you not be, though, when you're drunk??). I think you could find any kind of drinking establishment atmosphere that you could possible desire. There are many choices.

All in all, I'd safely say that if you enjoy the city and like the outdoors, then Denver is worth a chance. Good luck!

Averie-Jay,
Thanks for the input. The jobs I'm most likely to get are located in the southern suburbs, Lockheed-Martin and the Centennial airport. I've read that Aurora is not a good area, true? How would a commute from the West-NW suburbs to that area be? Is commuting a ways for socializing common? Would you say more people in Denver live near their jobs, or near their favorite social places?

Your description of "Benz and Rolex" describes Dallas well too. Its reassuring to hear others say that Denver is nothing like that!

I know I love the outdoors near Denver, now I just need to see if I will fit in the city well too.

Thanks again!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 PM

86,804 posts, read 102,087,947 times
I would suggest the southern or southwestern suburbs. Most people live fairly near their jobs, but then sometimes the job changes and you don't want to move.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post
esc,
I moved to Colorado from the DFW area over a year ago & I agree, I did not really enjoy the people there. I'm also 27, single, female & actually just moved to Denver from Longmont, which is sort of considered a 'suburb' about 45 miles away lol. In my opinion, the suburbs are NOT for single people like us. I'm glad I don't live in Longmont anymore where there is just a bunch of families & kids & SUVS--NOT the type of lifestyle I want to surround myself in!! I've only lived in Denver for 2 weeks now, but I think the majority of people here are friendly & welcoming. Nothing like Dallas.

I say move to Denver! Colorado is a great place to live
Wow, I'm so glad to hear others say this about Denver vs Dallas. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 PM

237 posts, read 1,007,175 times
Quote:
Averie-Jay,
Thanks for the input. The jobs I'm most likely to get are located in the southern suburbs, Lockheed-Martin and the Centennial airport. I've read that Aurora is not a good area, true? How would a commute from the West-NW suburbs to that area be? Is commuting a ways for socializing common? Would you say more people in Denver live near their jobs, or near their favorite social places?

Your description of "Benz and Rolex" describes Dallas well too. Its reassuring to hear others say that Denver is nothing like that!

I know I love the outdoors near Denver, now I just need to see if I will fit in the city well too.

Thanks again!
I wouldn't steer away from the south side of Denver, especially if you have job opportunities in that area. The Centennial area has some decent areas, and there are young people in this area and throughout south and west Denver. I would avoid Englewood and Aurora, but that's just my personal opinion.

As for commuting from W to NW Denver, I couldn't say because I haven't driven that area during high traffic times. During rush hour I can get from Littleton to Westminster (I-25 at Sante Fe to US 36 at Sheridan) in a little over an hour, if that gives you some sort of prospective.

From my experience, people live closer to their jobs. As for whether people travel a long distance for socializing, I think that's a very case-by-case situation. I have no trouble driving from Colorado Springs to downtown Denver every weekend, or from Denver up to Fort Collins to go hiking, but that's just me! "A long way" is a very subjective term, you know what I mean?

My honest and best advice to you would be to come to Denver, stay at a weekly rate hotel before making any decisions. Go and spend time in each area - NW, W, and S. Walk around the neighborhoods, look at the apartments, go to the local delis. Gauge how you feel. This is the only true way to know where you fit in. At your age, coupled with you interests, there's definitely a spot for you somewhere in Denver, but it's up to you to find it. As wonderful as we all are here at CD, we have our limitations to our advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver