U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:09 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,036,479 times

Advertisements

i think if you look around in the denver threads, you'll see plenty of commentary on the people, and the "average" of what you see is probably about right on the money.

my own take:

- casual seems to run through most everything
- denver and boulder are relatively male (especially in the 25 - 35 age bracket, for example; 2000 census was something like 50000men to 40000women in that bracket for denver proper): even a percent or 2 in one direction can make a difference in my experience, and you might see that the region's ratios are similar to some in alaska, for example...it's pretty unusual for places the size of denver or even boulder to have some of the ratios they do (certainly for some of those brackets)
- politically, the cities of denver and boulder lean democratic (boulder more so than denver), while outside of those (the overall metro area) is rather conservative - overall feel might be more like "libertarian", politically
- the front range can be a land of extremes if you think about the demographics in denver (more of a mixed bag, though generally sort of mid-/mountain-western and latino, if anything, with some other ethnicity that doesn't seem to mix a ton), boulder (generally sort of priveleged, entitled, outdoorsy, sciency or buddhist...), ft collins (aggie and outdoorsy), colorado springs (evangelical and military), the suburban sea (suburban)...
- denver metro has one of the highest car ownerships per capita of cities in america; it can be a bit materialistic, but maybe more in terms of toys, TVs (for the broncos/avs/nuggets etc games) and outdoor gear, overall
- it is not very diverse/cosmopolitan and can be a bit clique-ish relative to cities it's "stature" (growth, size, etc.) as far as i can tell
- people can be very about recreation and "living life" in an external sort of way...less brooding about existentialist arts over a cup of good coffee, more talking about the broncos and ski gear on the way up the ski lifts or over several beers ("drunkest city" according to "men's health"), generally
- there are some nice - even great - museums, music venues, productions, restaurants, etc., for sure, which is enjoyed by many, but most people might not be so much "about" the arts and culture (relative to those in chicago, NYC, s.f., portland, DC, etc.)
- there are pockets of a little of everything (a little ethnicity in this 4blockx4block neighborhood, a little history in this other, a little highrise finance in the other, a leafy greenery in yet another, some outdoor adventure in this park, etc), which can be nice, even if the overall feel can be a bit more homogeneous to some

Last edited by hello-world; 12-13-2007 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 12:11 PM

739 posts, read 2,718,012 times
never heard of Denver called "menver" but I may use that one for a laugh!
Also, if you want a "dallas like" experience, go to Highlands Ranch- plenty of conspicuous consumption there... also go to Cherry Creek North. All in all though, people are very laid-back and casual here. Whenever I"m in Dallas I feel like I need to be "done". It is simply not that way here at all.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 PM

163 posts, read 849,133 times
I've done some research on the whole ratio thing in Denver, and came up with some stats that say it's virtually even, and other stats that say it's almost 2/3 men.

So rather than relying on statistics, I'd love to hear from some Denver guys and gals who are out there on the front lines of the dating scene! Give us the dirty truth!

Even if there are more men than women, alot of people don't date or enjoy nightlife or other singles type activities...so the "singles scene" in Denver might have more of an even ratio, even if the population as a whole doesn't.

When you go out on the town, to bars/clubs, is it a total sausage party? Or does it seem to be an even split?

Are there a bunch of dateless guys wandering aimlessly around Denver? Is it one of those situations where every girl you meet is already in a relationship?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 PM

14,547 posts, read 22,409,464 times
Too funny, Charles! What a Butter-face!

You're pretty when I'm drunk, you're pretty when I'm drunk, and I'm pretty Fin drunk.

I once heard that Denver was full of Communists. That's what my friend Bob said.

PS to your Census stuff; where are you gonna find chicks, man? Try the campuses. Get me some stats on girls to guys at UNC, CU-Boulder, (not Mines, that wouldn't be fair), CSU, etc. Is this not the environment one needs to look for a member of the fairer sex? Also, what's the age demographic of the men/women that are relevant to the dating scene?

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-13-2007 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Added a relevant thought

Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
I've done some research on the whole ratio thing in Denver, and came up with some stats that say it's virtually even, and other stats that say it's almost 2/3 men.

So rather than relying on statistics, I'd love to hear from some Denver guys and gals who are out there on the front lines of the dating scene! Give us the dirty truth!

Even if there are more men than women, alot of people don't date or enjoy nightlife or other singles type activities...so the "singles scene" in Denver might have more of an even ratio, even if the population as a whole doesn't.

When you go out on the town, to bars/clubs, is it a total sausage party? Or does it seem to be an even split?

Are there a bunch of dateless guys wandering aimlessly around Denver? Is it one of those situations where every girl you meet is already in a relationship?
the census data is online (and you can search for it on city-data threads, actually). 51:49 is significant for a city the size of denver; the 55:45 or 57:43 or whatever it is for the "around 30" bracket is QUITE significant, and you will not see that kind of thing for most any other metro the size of it. yes, it can be pretty skewed at bars etc.. boulder, more so. sometimes you don't quite sense it until you've gotten the vibe after some time (or met several women that are already hitched), sometimes it's glaringly obvious at some of the bars.

as a not exactly scientific look, take a look on match.com. i know, match can tend to attract a bit more of some demographics, and more guys. but look at it relative to where you live, and relative to other places, say for your age. you can get a bit of a sense of relative skewnesses and the types of people (their "likes and dislikes" etc) from that, and then account a bit for the fact that it usually does attract more guys than girls and more of some types than others relative to what you sense in that skewness compared to something/someplace you know, which might help if you're really concerned about that kind of thing.

Last edited by hello-world; 12-13-2007 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 09:26 AM

13 posts, read 71,024 times
25% of Denver are people that have moved in from LA in last 10 years. You want to avoid those people. They reside in Lake Highlands and south Aurora.
The east side (Aurora) is black/white mixed. The west side (Lakewood) is mexican. Try the north areas such as Arvada, Northglenn, Westminster. There are genuine Colorado natives there and they are genuine and friendly.
If you live off 128 or 72 you have direct access to mountains.

Boulder is best, but most expensive, and gets twice the snow of Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Yup, I've heard about the high amount of ugly women living in CO. I'll tell you one thing - in DougCo, there are plenty of HOT females. I bet you most of them are from California and other states, not CO natives. Problem is, most these types are married and have children, so you're outta luck!

Like I said, I was speculating. It would be interesting to find out why males outnumber females in CO. I guess one should be happy just finding a female here, period. You'll probably have to settle for less quality or on the heavy side since you cant be real picky in this state.
Heavy side? CO is the leanest population in the USA. Its hard to find lookers in CO, but that is due to two things; they don't wear makeup or dressup, and they are heavily wrapped for 6 months of the year.

The native CO women I dated while in Denver were the nicest of any I've met elsewhere. The DougCo are from CA, and behave accordingly.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-14-2007 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Merging 2 posts into 1.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC58 View Post
Heavy side? CO is the leanest population in the USA. Its hard to find lookers in CO, but that is due to two things; they don't wear makeup or dressup, and they are heavily wrapped for 6 months of the year.

The native CO women I dated while in Denver were the nicest of any I've met elsewhere. The DougCo are from CA, and behave accordingly.
i personally think no makeup and no dressup can be really beautiful...maybe to the PP it has a bit to do with HOW some make up and dress, or how some carry themselves or otherwise act?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:55 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,277,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post

Back in my single days, every bar I went to seemed to be a "sausage party". But then they were gay bars. Maybe I'm not the person to answer this

Actually, I've never heard that men outnumber women here. If they do, it couldn't be significant. You might have a problem in Fairbanks, AK, but not Denver

Old 12-14-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Back in my single days, every bar I went to seemed to be a "sausage party". But then they were gay bars. Maybe I'm not the person to answer this

Actually, I've never heard that men outnumber women here. If they do, it couldn't be significant. You might have a problem in Fairbanks, AK, but not Denver
here's the 2000 census info for alaska and colorado places. 25-29 yoa male:female to right. note 30-34 for denver is more like 119:100, boulder it's about 109:100. imagine speed dating in a room of 100 guys and 100 girls, then doing so in a room with 120 guys, 100 girls. very different situations. granted these are not necessarily SINGLES numbers, nor do they say anything about orientation. but they give a sense, unless you're a 30 year old looking for people more than 5 or 10 yoa outside your own age, e.g..

http://www.censusscope.org/us/s8/c13/chart_age.html (boulder) 121:100
http://www.censusscope.org/us/s8/c31/chart_age.html (denver) 115:100
http://www.censusscope.org/us/s2/c90/chart_age.html (fairbanks) 110:100
http://www.censusscope.org/us/s2/chart_age.html (alaska as a state) 107:100
http://www.censusscope.org/us/s8/chart_age.html (colorado as a state) 102:100

look around at other cities the sizes of boulder and denver. very few, if any, will have such skewness.

Last edited by hello-world; 12-14-2007 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 02:43 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,277,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
here's the 2000 census info for alaska and colorado places. 25-29 yoa male:female to right. note 30-34 for denver is more like 119:100, boulder it's about 109:100. imagine speed dating in a room of 100 guys and 100 girls, then doing so in a room with 120 guys, 100 girls. very different situations. granted these are not necessarily SINGLES numbers, nor do they say anything about orientation. but they give a sense, unless you're a 30 year old looking for people more than 5 or 10 yoa outside your own age, e.g..

http://www.censusscope.org/us/s8/c13/chart_age.html (boulder) 121:100
http://www.censusscope.org/us/s8/c31/chart_age.html (denver) 115:100
http://www.censusscope.org/us/s2/c90/chart_age.html (fairbanks) 110:100
http://www.censusscope.org/us/s2/chart_age.html (alaska as a state) 107:100
http://www.censusscope.org/us/s8/chart_age.html (colorado as a state) 102:100

look around at other cities the sizes of boulder and denver. very few, if any, will have such skewness.
Interesting. I wonder why that would be? At first I thought maybe 15 of the 115 in Denver could be gay, so it wouldn't matter. But then subtract the Lesbians from the 100, and you're back where you started. Maybe it's something do do with high-altitude conception!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver