U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,031,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I stand by what I have said. It is very simple--more, people want boys, they get a girl,
they try again, they get a girl, they try a again---a boy. Therefore more girls then boy.
If a boy is born then they tend to stop--which makes less girls. Most couples do not continue to try until they get a girl. A boy is always preferred. All societies have more girls, less boys.

That is changing in advanced western societies, as preference for boys is diminished and fewer children are preferred or encouraged by governments---so the sex production moves to even value. Again assuming no endogenesis effects or other factors that would favor boys over girls, or girls over boys--such as female infanticide, or sex selection abortion.

Pittnurse--I just do not understand what you mean by the "natural" order of a ratio of 105 boys to girls????? It that a medical term?? Boys are "weaker"???--is that not anecdotal???

Certainly warfare has accounted for more male deaths then females in some societies and at certain times in history. I can very well relate to that. I was a soldier stationed in Occupied Berlin, Germany. It was quite obvious that in the middle age groups 40-75 yrs. there were much more women then men----I was there in 1972-73. It was a city of older women made that way by death and destruction.

As I said I was taught that in those fancy B/S college courses, eh, maybe I am wrong, after all, I am just a male, the weaker sex.

Livecontent
girls boys (always the right hand number, here)
50 50 (try 1 - 50 boys, but also 50 girls are born, so another try by those 50 families)
| \
25 25 (try 2 - 25 boys, but also 25 girls are born to this 50 families)
| \
12.5 12.5 (try 3 - ... 12 or 13 girls are born to this 25 families; with many sets of 100 original families, sometimes 12, sometimes 13 at this try, averaging 12.5)
| \
6.25 6.25 (etc.)
| \
3.125 3.125

(etc.)

----------------------------------------------------------------
add them up, 200 kids - 50+25+12.5+...=100 girls, 50+25+12.5+...=100 boys - born to original 100 families per this strategy

at the end of all this, it still seems to me that hobbies and culture have more to do with the ratio of 20 and 30 somethings (especially high male"female in those brackets) in the area. and maybe people finally moving out of the mountains (which tend to be way more sporty and rugged, and way more male), maybe especially lately as more people move out to use the mountains, and then want to stick around for the more plentiful opportunities in denver metro.

Last edited by hello-world; 12-18-2007 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katysalsa View Post
I'm moving to Denver in a few weeks and I don't even know what a fourteener is. Is this bad? Who cares!
you will soon. people love saying "hiked a 14er", some saying it like a badge of honor. not that it is really much more of a feat than many other hikes, but people often say "14er" here. "14000 foot above sea level peak". people also love to say "old school" or "new school" here.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenfromdenver View Post
A Fourteener is a mountain over 14,000 ft. People here like to climb/hike them. It is usually an all day affair and in my opinion, requires a dip in a hot tub and an alcoholic beverage afterward to ease the aching muscles.
oh that's so "old school".

Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 AM

388 posts, read 239,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I noticed that the numbers for male/female in Denver changed dramatically from 1990 (48.66% male) to 2000 (50.52% male). That's an almost 2% increase in the male population. In 1990, males in Denver were actually the minority. What the heck happened in the decade inbetween?
Nice find - makes sense to me. Darn Rockies & Avalanche.

We have to find a way to get more females relocated to Menver, and PRETTY ones. Denver already has enough of the butch-looking types. Actually, males outnumber females in other parts of the state, not just Denver.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Nice find - makes sense to me. Darn Rockies & Avalanche.

We have to find a way to get more females relocated to Menver, and PRETTY ones. Denver already has enough of the butch-looking types. Actually, males outnumber females in other parts of the state, not just Denver.
the state itself is now third to alaska, with nevada in second. colorado has the MOST male county in the country, as well. the mountains tend to be pretty male. it is a little perplexing that even the city is, though, especially a city/metro as large as it is, but again, i'd say it's proximity (to the mountains), culture, hobby, and maybe a little industry related.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 AM

388 posts, read 239,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
the state itself is now third to alaska, with nevada in second. colorado has the MOST male county in the country, as well. the mountains tend to be pretty male. it is a little perplexing that even the city is, though, especially a city/metro as large as it is, but again, i'd say it's proximity (to the mountains), culture, hobby, and maybe a little industry related.
I've been impressed with all of your posts related to this subject. It looks like you're very curious about this - same with me. Yup, could be some of the reasons you mentioned, but I still think the military presence & sporting events have something to do with it as well.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
I've been impressed with all of your posts related to this subject. It looks like you're very curious about this - same with me. Yup, could be some of the reasons you mentioned, but I still think the military presence & sporting events have something to do with it as well.
i mentioned (agreed) the military and sporting events have something to do with it (and allude to that with the "industry" and "hobby" and "culture" comments), as well...i agree with you here.

as for curious, i am just curious about a lot of things. and i was a single guy (that moved here from a more coastal/eclectic place) adjusting to denver and the middle of america for a while, so, eventually, curiosity got the better of me as to "other than my own idiosyncracies ...WHAT is going on here?".

Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,974 times
SLEEPLESS & LONELY IN DENVER
Yes, everything is beautiful in Denver, but I have never met that many unattached people. You invite people over for dinner or coffee, they don't show or even call. I moved here about three years ago and I have not had this experience anywhere else, and I have lived in america for the past 25 years. I lived in suburb (littleton) and moved to down town denver hoping it is going to be better, It is worse. I am well educated, wordly and sophisticated. I am a good cook and I like to entertain, but I don't have anybody to share my time with. I have never been so lonely. By the way, I have tried anything from church to mosque to any volunteer work or fundraising, noting has worked. so whoever is moving to denver hope has better luck.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-23-2007 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-23-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesanam View Post
Yes, everything is beautiful in Denver, but I have never met that many unattached people. You invite people over for dinner or coffee, they don't show or even call. I moved here about three years ago and I have not had this experience anywhere else, and I have lived in america for the past 25 years. I lived in suburb (littleton) and moved to down town denver hoping it is going to be better, It is worse. I am well educated, wordly and sophisticated. I am a good cook and I like to entertain, but I don't have anybody to share my time with. I have never been so lonely. By the way, I have tried anything from church to mosque to any volunteer work or fundraising, noting has worked. so whoever is moving to denver hope has better luck.

as you can see, you are not the only one with these experiences with the area. i sometimes wonder whether some people in the region can tend to shun "worldly" or "sophisticated" or otherwise "different" rather than engaging, or otherwise be too clique-ish and even averse to just being straight forward sometimes (as in, saying no, or as in following through when they say yes). even among some of those that are here from elsewhere. in reading through some of the forum here, i would bet you might begin to understand some of it better. i do think that patience and hope without expectation can go a ways towards eventually finding "your people", even in a place that might seem especially cliquish or closed, and even if it now feels like it just might be impossible with the place. i think your efforts should bring what you want and need with some time, even if it doesn't seem so right now. i have seen that kind of thing, at least.

ps - here's a thread with some other comments not unlike yours...

former east-coaster -kinda regret moving to co

Last edited by hello-world; 12-23-2007 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-23-2007, 03:40 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesanam View Post

This is a poignant message and unfortunately it shows a too common feeling at the holidays. We have expectation and then we feel our failures to reach these goals more acutely at this time of year. I would say to you that you are not the only one who is sad at this time; there are many other people have wants that are not fulfilled and expect the holidays to be happy when in fact for them they are a feeling of emptiness.

Part of the problem is today's world of sophistication and technology. We do not need people in every activity to satisfy our basic needs. In a simple village we would farm together; we would fish together; we would share our resources; we would built houses together; we would need each other in times of danger and help cure our illness or we would die; we would seek each other company because there was no other entertainment sources; we would know each other from birth to death and we would bury our own. Today the world has made every man and women independent, not interdependent, for survival without the need of others.

I have heard the same complaint from my past from my ancestors who left the old world, the small village, and became successful and prosperous in the new world. They became less dependent and were not depended by other relatives and people in the community---the shared living of the old ways were gone. They had more wealth but connection to others were not as strong as in a world were it was needed to survive.

In reading your post, it is apparent that you have a good career; you have money and consequently you have few material needs. You live in a world of the educated sophisticated class who have achieved a level where they do not need others to survive and others do not need them. You have achieve education and success because that is what you were told was the way to the goal of independence and absence of need.

What is the solution. The solution is to create material wants and needs and find people who who have material wants and needs--the people who wants are such that if they are not fulfilled--they starve and they die.

Become less sophisticated and of the world; become more simple and a person of the village. Create a village around you where mutual dependence is an absolute necessity.

Remember the song--"People who need people are the happiest people in the world".

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 12-23-2007 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver