U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 AM

12,268 posts, read 8,055,528 times

Advertisements

Mediocre sports town? We have 7 professional teams of which 4 are major sports. Yes, this is a Broncos town but the Rockies, Avalanche and Nuggets bring in big crowds on a regular basis. The Mammoth sell out on a regular basis.

I grew up in a mediocre if not crappy sports town, San Diego.

I love all the teams here with the exception of the Nuggets. I can't stand the NBA.

I still prefer having a game interrupted for major weather events. Call me crazy but I want to live to see another sporting event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,825,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Mediocre sports town? We have 7 professional teams of which 4 are major sports. Yes, this is a Broncos town but the Rockies, Avalanche and Nuggets bring in big crowds on a regular basis. The Mammoth sell out on a regular basis.

I love all the teams here with the exception of the Nuggets. I can't stand the NBA.

I still prefer having a game interrupted for major weather events. Call me crazy but I want to live to see another sporting event.
For me, I kind of wish the Rockies were more like the Padres in the popularity department. I miss being able to go to a baseball game at Qualcomm (back in the early 2000s) and get a ticket for 15 bucks and be 10 rows up from 1st or 3rd base. I'm not sure about ticket prices now since they are in Petco. I'm sure they are a bit more to try and recoup the stadium cost.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
For me, I kind of wish the Rockies were more like the Padres in the popularity department. I miss being able to go to a baseball game at Qualcomm (back in the early 2000s) and get a ticket for 15 bucks and be 10 rows up from 1st or 3rd base. I'm not sure about ticket prices now since they are in Petco. I'm sure they are a bit more to try and recoup the stadium cost.
I agree. Padres tickets are no longer that cheap. I miss the Qualcomm days even though that stadium is completely wrecked.

Also, not much of a chance of getting interrupted on TV for a weather emergency in San Diego.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 AM

356 posts, read 514,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Do what we do- we buy cheap rock pile tix (or rooftop this year) and just walk around with a beer and a dog all game, maybe stop by the visitor bullpen for a heckle session or maybe grab some food at the bm brewery. You can't find that at any other field in the league.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,825,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCO5280 View Post
Do what we do- we buy cheap rock pile tix (or rooftop this year) and just walk around with a beer and a dog all game, maybe stop by the visitor bullpen for a heckle session or maybe grab some food at the bm brewery. You can't find that at any other field in the league.
I've done this before and had a great time, but I also love being able to watch the entire game while seated.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,582,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
The mountains do not go perfectly N/S nor do they retain their elevation along the front range. Windsor is about 500 feet lower and isn't in a 'bowl' like most of the metro area .

How are more people dying from lightning strikes silly? If they are really trying to save lives that's where they legitimately should be focused. Instead they show pictures of clouds and hailing because a spotter spotted a funnel cloud.

What is silly is people getting so freaked out they feel compelled to watch the same information over and over again only freaking themselves out more. That's silly. For CO this was a non-event and 9 news sensationalized it by covering it long after the warnings had been lifted.
So what? The fact that the mountains don't go perfectly N/S has what bearing on the inaccuracy that was posted? The post said nobody had been killed by a tornado except far out on the Eastern plains. Interestingly, if the point was that "far out on the Eastern plains" was equal to "far away from the mountains", Windsor is actually much closer to the foothills than I25 through the metro area. It would be equal in distance to a EF3 in Lakewood. As for the bowl, again, no idea the point? Though I would not call the Denver metro area a bowl except on a macro scale. By my definition of a city in a "bowl" would be Boulder, but then we call that a valley. #fragmented #disconnected #irrelevant

You completely missed the point about lightning strikes and I'm too tired to hand feed you anymore. Good luck though. There is always tomorrow and a "bowl" of bananas.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM

5,071 posts, read 9,072,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post

Big crowds? The Rockies are 18th in the league in % of capacity, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt its a big stadium and they do draw fairly well for a team which has never won its division or had a decent record most years. The Nuggets were 20th. The Avs were 23rd despite winning their division. The Rapids are 5th lowest in attendance, but really should be 4th since one team has only 10,000 seats. The Mammoth are a good story, but hard to get too serious about a sport where the players have to get a weekday job.

This is an NFL town, not a sports town. Franchises would have left except for the quirk of geography, one ownership group and two sports channels both needing programming. If the NFL made Kroenke truly dump his other teams instead of handing them over to his son I am pretty sure at least the Nuggets and Rapids would have flirted with leaving.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Big crowds? The Rockies are 18th in the league in % of capacity, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt its a big stadium and they do draw fairly well for a team which has never won its division or had a decent record most years. The Nuggets were 20th. The Avs were 23rd despite winning their division. The Rapids are 5th lowest in attendance, but really should be 4th since one team has only 10,000 seats. The Mammoth are a good story, but hard to get too serious about a sport where the players have to get a weekday job.

This is an NFL town, not a sports town. Franchises would have left except for the quirk of geography, one ownership group and two sports channels both needing programming. If the NFL made Kroenke truly dump his other teams instead of handing them over to his son I am pretty sure at least the Nuggets and Rapids would have flirted with leaving.
Then why do you stay?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM

15,018 posts, read 4,781,831 times
Yes, Denver has a good sports tradition. I believe Colorado might be the lowest population state to have all four major league teams (MLB Rockies, NFL Broncos: two time Super Bowl winners, NBA Nuggets, NHL Avalanche) and also has pro soccer. Then there are the popular college sports programs like Colorado, Colorado State, and the Air Force.

In any event, a decision by one network does not mean Denver is not a sports town. I enjoyed a Rockies baseball game in 2011 when I visited a friend there.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM

6,533 posts, read 10,219,301 times
Quote:
Big crowds? The Rockies are 18th in the league in % of capacity, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt its a big stadium and they do draw fairly well for a team which has never won its division or had a decent record most years.
Coors has the 3rd highest seating capacity in the majors. Only Dodger Stadium and the pit known as the O.co Coliseum in Chokeland have more seats.

Quote:
The Avs were 23rd despite winning their division.
The Avs have also been pretty downtrodden the last several years, and nobody expected them to do what they did this year. They averaged almost 91% of capacity for the year and I expect it to pick up next season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver