Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 AM

18 posts, read 86,338 times

Advertisements

My husband had an intentional damage charge ($483) 9 years ago in his late teens...he has been off probation for few years, no other criminal charges, not even a speeding ticket, nothing whatsoever he is a federal worker (good, steady income)who is being transferred to Denver, no smoking, no drinking, eco-friendly family, we have perfect rent history for past 5-6 years, a little toddler running around AND not being able to find a place to live. As of now we have reserved extended living hotel for 2 weeks what are our choices? Craigslist and rent from a private party only? thank you.
ps. if I understand it right, it is another 4-5 years for his felony to show up on his record, I think it needs to be 10 years after he got off probation in order to file to remove it or smth(i know every state is different)..so we are looking at 2019..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 03:59 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
It sounds like he already has steady work lined up, so the best thing is to NOT go around telling people about it and it should not be an issue in most aspects of your life. The rental process will probably involve a background check, so you'll want to voluntarily disclose that info up front so it does't look like you're trying to hide it. If the rental app has a spot for that, use it, otherwise let the landlord know verbally and be ready to provide written disclosure as needed. Also, look for an appropriate way to include the part about how he's moved on and has a clean record since -- you don't need to vent or make excuses, people just need to know is if he IS a felon vs what he WAS. Any reasonable person should understand that all make mistakes and it's how you recover form them that matters most.

As far as specific neighborhoods, one you can afford and which is conveniently located near work is best. There aren't any particular neighborhoods that show special fondness toward felons. But if you present yourselves as a reliable young couple with a good income-debt ratio, and if you're renting well within your means, there's a good chance you can find something decent just about anywhere.

Last edited by otterprods; 06-03-2014 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
It sounds like he already has steady work lined up, so the best thing is to NOT go around telling people about it and it should not be an issue in most aspects of your life. The rental process will probably involve a background check, so you'll want to voluntarily disclose that info up front so it does't look like you're trying to hide it. If the rental app has a spot for that, use it, otherwise let the landlord know verbally and be ready to provide written disclosure as needed. Also, look for an appropriate way to include the part about how he's moved on and has a clean record since -- you don't need to vent or make excuses, people just need to know is if he IS a felon vs what he WAS. Any reasonable person should understand that all make mistakes and it's how you recover form them that matters most.

As far as specific neighborhoods, one you can afford and which is conveniently located near work is best. There aren't any particular neighborhoods that show special fondness toward felons. But if you present yourselves as a reliable young couple with a good income-debt ratio, and if you're renting well within your means, there's a good chance you can find something decent just about anywhere.

thanks a lot for the info! you are right, we do not want to hide it and we do voluntarily disclose it. However each application fee is ranging anywhere from $30-$70 a person, so this way we can be spending thousands of dollars just to hear - no felons in our apartment complex etc. we have been trying to find a place for the past 3 months, since we are out of state its being done over the phone and whenever they hear a word felony - they say they automatically decline us (doesnt matter when and what is was). He has to report to his new job in 3 weeks and its making me nervous! as for specific location for felons-hah..we would never want to live there, no thank you there are some housing developments like that around Denver, however it is only for recently discharged people (out of jail), or you have to be on probation. meh.. funny thing we wouldnt even qualify for that

Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,790 times
avoid apartment complexes. Focus on privately owned condos in second rate areas. Assuming you have jobs and no evictions, I like renting to people like him, they are a lot less likely to move or complain. No, I don't have any open units.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
avoid apartment complexes. Focus on privately owned condos in second rate areas. Assuming you have jobs and no evictions, I like renting to people like him, they are a lot less likely to move or complain. No, I don't have any open units.
thats exactly what we figured out, thank you! would you suggest anything else besides Craigslist to be looking for a privately owned properties? newspapers,..what else?
hotpads, padmapper etc

Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 PM

473 posts, read 848,751 times
Have you considered buying? If you're staying put for a while, and your credit is reasonable, I'd think the legal issue would be less of a concern when securing a mortgage. And with rental rates as they are now you'd be able to find a nice condo for far cheaper than the rent would be (even with a reasonable HOA)

Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
Have you considered buying? If you're staying put for a while, and your credit is reasonable, I'd think the legal issue would be less of a concern when securing a mortgage. And with rental rates as they are now you'd be able to find a nice condo for far cheaper than the rent would be (even with a reasonable HOA)
yes, very reasonable and good advice! we are looking into buying a condo, but it will have to wait for at least another 6 months. We are moving from out of state and are not familiar with Denver area, need time to do the research and save some for down payment etc . we have 3 weeks left before packing everything in uhaul and making a 16 hour drive..

Last edited by noideaforaUserName; 06-03-2014 at 10:31 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
If you're staying, you may really want to consider buying. My wife and I bought a great house and the monthly payment is a fraction (around 2/3rds) of what it would rent for. Not bad, given that after 30 years we own it and all the appreciation.

I'm sorry for your husband, having a felony instead of a misdemeanor for something under 500 is pretty crappy. Do you have income of your own? You might be able to find some places where you could have a roommate move in after you qualified on the lease. More of a "oh hey, I think I'll have a roommate" rather than telling them upfront. This would be more of a strategy if you were staying in a 300 unit apartment complex then if you are dealing with an individual owner who may have much more vested interested then someone getting paid 10 bucks an hour to work in an office.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Yes, the record can be key. But also references too.

FYI, some people are pickier when they own one or a few homes...pickier than those who own many rental homes.

We have had success helping a couple of people build up references...people who were excellent for years prior and continued to be. This, with the original properties that still remained in large pieces of land slated to be built on but were not built on for years. Builders owned them....active, pro builders or owners who hoped to develop them. At first the owners said, well, we weren't going to rent it. But the house worked fine, no problems. In fact, one family felt like they were back in the country with the fields and the lake where they caught fish. That spot is now townhouses. Don't know what happened to the lake.

Perhaps you can find someplace others wouldn't want ordinarily so you can build up references. Or someplace more in the country. Or where there aren't as many people around.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Yes, the record can be key. But also references too.

FYI, some people are pickier when they own one or a few homes...pickier than those who own many rental homes.

We have had success helping a couple of people build up references...people who were excellent for years prior and continued to be. This, with the original properties that still remained in large pieces of land slated to be built on but were not built on for years. Builders owned them....active, pro builders or owners who hoped to develop them. At first the owners said, well, we weren't going to rent it. But the house worked fine, no problems. In fact, one family felt like they were back in the country with the fields and the lake where they caught fish. That spot is now townhouses. Don't know what happened to the lake.

Perhaps you can find someplace others wouldn't want ordinarily so you can build up references. Or someplace more in the country. Or where there aren't as many people around.
thank you, correct me if I understood it wrong, but I do not think isolating our family from other people would be a good idea,i would say its a little bit offensive.. my husband is a fed worker, I recently finished grad school and we have a little toddler, i consider our family pretty nice, educated and well mannered. We do have perfect rent history for the past 5-6 years, steady income etc..its just the word felony on the background check from his late teens -thats the only thing that messes our apartment search up, not the actual "felon" habits, behavior etc

Last edited by noideaforaUserName; 06-05-2014 at 10:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver