Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:45 PM

23 posts, read 32,462 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am moving to Highlands Ranch next month (south ridge area) and I am curious as to what kinds of spiders are most common (I love spiders and have an abundance of them where I live in VA). Are there any poisonous spiders that are common in the area? How about snakes, is it a common occurrence to see them?

I am aware of Bears and Mountain Lions, but it doesn't seem like there is much of a chance of them rolling into our neighborhood, please correct me if wrong.

I am very interested in the Coyote, as it seems the population in on the rise. I'm going to be moving to Valleybrook dr where there is a very large open area in the back with a little pond, does anyone live in this same area? If so do you often see coyotes around the field, or has one approached your fences, perhaps tempted by an animal?

I have 3 large dogs (45,55,85 lbs) I am assuming I coyote wouldn't want to approach them.

Here is where the cat question comes in. I have a cat who is used to being outdoors. I know that I can not allow him to roam any longer. I want to build him a large outdoor run in the back "yard" (very small yard) and I understand the HOA is very strict, does anyone know if this will be a problem for me. We will be submitting the plans to the HOA obviously because it must be approved, my concern is they will turn it down although I can't fathom why, seeing as we can't allow cats outdoors.

Any knowledge, advice, thoughts, experiences are welcome. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and to hopefully respond with some good stuff! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
There are coyotes in all parts of Highlands Ranch. So far we have not encountered them when walking the dog. I have never heard of mountains lions roaming around town but we did have a bear come in a coupe years ago. Large bear prompts emergency notifications near Douglas County schools | KDVR.com.

We have spiders but I don't know if they are poisonous or not.

How big is this structure you are planning to build for your cat? Do you have privacy fences?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
The most common spiders you'll run into around here are small jumping spiders, funnel-web spiders, wolf spiders, and black widows. The Western Black Widow is the only venemous spider you'll have to worry about here. They're extremely common and are usually found outside in window wells, garages, and in low-lying areas along the exterior of the house. They typically don't set up shop indoors.

If you back up to an open space or are near water, you run a higher probability of seeing snakes. You'll most likely see garter snakes and bull snakes, but prairie rattlesnakes are prevalent around here.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Your bigger worry will be

The "Christians".
They are plentiful in that area.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:07 PM

254 posts, read 513,251 times
Check out HRCAonline.org - the website includes a brief intro to living with wildlife. Definitely plan to keep the cat indoors, but in general, the dogs should be okay.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 AM

546 posts, read 1,818,446 times
I have a friend who lived in Highlands Ranch and backed to open space. She said they did have a lot of coyotes in her neighborhood in the early mornings but I have not heard anything about mountain lions or bears. I live in Littleton and we have an open space field behind our house. One day I did see a coyote carrying a cat in it's mouth. It was so sad....the teenage girl who must have been the owner and her dad came out to look for it, scouring the area but the coyote got it. For this reason we decided to get a larger dog and although I would love to have a cat for mousing purposes I don't think it would last very long with what we have going on here with coyotes. There is a horse ranch across the way from us too and the owner said she has resorted to shooting at some of the coyotes because they have circled her and her daughter when they have been out in the evening trying to feed their horses. I know this sounds harsh but I really think they should allow more people to shoot them to control the population, especially if they come onto their property. In the past coyotes were not known to be aggressive and approach people but they have become more bold.

We do get spiders in our basement so we have someone come spray. Nothing crazy though. I did see a black widow in my front flower bed last summer but in general I think we have less bugs in Colorado than a lot of other places.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Spiders and bugs thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:31 PM

224 posts, read 559,558 times
Atheistlady, congratulations on your very wise decision to keep your cat inside (or in your cat run)! Not only will your pet be safe; the small birds, lizards, rabbits, and other wildlife will be protected from your cat's natural predator tendencies.

I've known a couple of people who built elaborate outdoor "runs" for their cats, with great success. I hope your HOA is cooperative. If not, you might point out the many advantages to the neighborhood of one less outdoor cat.

Welcome to the neighborhood and enjoy the wildlife!

Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
You should "haze" coyotes and foxes (which are also plentiful around here) when you see them in your neighborhood and your yard. Many have lost their fear of humans, so it is important that they regain that fear, or your neighborhood will be a pet buffet for them.

You may not see coyotes and foxes, but they are there. Often in the morning after it snows you will see their tracks. They are easy to identify because they are the "dog" footprints that have no human prints around.

As for mountain lions, they are in the foothills and will wander down into open space areas. They are very stealthy. If you hike in the foothills, you will not see them, but they are probably watching you. Attacks on humans or pets on leashes are really, really rare, but they can jump your six foot fence, kill your pet, and take it back over the fence without you ever hearing a thing.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,501 times
Check the covenents in HR...I have never seen anyone with a dog (or cat) run in Highlands Ranch.

Covenants/Improvements

Doesn't hurt to try...except that it costs money to try. There is a fee for a submission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver