U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:49 AM

388 posts, read 239,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ked1o1 View Post
I am in a situation cause I want to move to the mainland but Cali is exactly like Hawaii, expensive so I want something inland that can get me a cheap ticket or driving experience from Colorado to an Ocean. I am a young nurse so I want be able to get in the water all the time maybe just those three times of a year when I can take leave and go back home.
Colorado is way too far from the ocean to get your fix on a normal basis. You need to be much closer. Maybe Arizona or outside of Reno, NV. With the real estate crises, you might be able to find a pretty good deal in a few years near San Diego. No, you wont be on the coast but you'll only be 20-30 minutes away instead of a 15 hour drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ked1o1 View Post
I can't really live here in Hawaii any longer because it is very very expensive. A studio is about a grand a month if you want anything more its about 1500 a month. I can't afford it. I rather live somewhere cheaper and visit home when I need to. I love traveling so flying from Hawaii to mainland gets very very expensive as well. Hawaii really isn't all that great... So much traffic, racism, and its expensive... all that I want is to take the water with me! I am in a situation cause I want to move to the mainland but Cali is exactly like Hawaii, expensive so I want something inland that can get me a cheap ticket or driving experience from Colorado to an Ocean. I am a young nurse so I want be able to get in the water all the time maybe just those three times of a year when I can take leave and go back home.
I have a friend who moved from Honolulu to Denver this year, and I used to go visit Hawaii every year since I had someplace free to stay. I love it, but it seems rather segregated - native Hawaiians, tourists, and mainlanders who moved there. I've heard mainlanders who move there get "island fever" and usually leave after a couple years. I rarely stray more than a few miles from my house, so I don't think that would effect me. Maybe someday I'll retire there, maybe not. I've also heard that it's difficult to make friends there or really be accepted by the locals who grew up there.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:56 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,955 times
Maybe you should be a traveling nurse, rent and test out the areas on the main land to see what works for you. In Colorado, if it is not a glacier formed lake/pond, it is a man made lake (Granby/Grand Lake). Denver has small lakes/reservoirs and for my biology class in Junior High we use to take samples from Sloans Lake to view under a microscope the various bateria and amoebas that live there. A small sip while jet skiing could invite a few weeks of violent bowel reaction to giardia.

Water World is the closest thing to waves here as it is the largest water park in the country, but nothing comparable to an ocean. Being a nurse, you have many living options available to you to check out before really finding your true city to live in. I love the ocean and find it cheaper to fly there to enjoy it verses driving to it from Denver.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 PM

9 posts, read 25,164 times
I grew up in Colorado and recently moved to San Diego. I love and miss Colorado, but if you are looking for water it is probably not the best place to look. It is a great city and reminds me a lot of San Diego without the major traffic, ocean, and expenses. Denver is a really neat city and if I could I would move back, but unfortunatly that is not in my cards. If you are looking for an affordable place with the ocean...What about Florida (Tampa area)? Tampa and Denver are probably priced about the same and you are coming from Hawaii where the climate is similar.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:11 PM

20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twise072382 View Post
I grew up in Colorado and recently moved to San Diego. I love and miss Colorado, but if you are looking for water it is probably not the best place to look. It is a great city and reminds me a lot of San Diego without the major traffic, ocean, and expenses. Denver is a really neat city and if I could I would move back, but unfortunatly that is not in my cards. If you are looking for an affordable place with the ocean...What about Florida (Tampa area)? Tampa and Denver are probably priced about the same and you are coming from Hawaii where the climate is similar.
I was going to mention FL too, I'm a big fan of a lot that's there. The water is warmer, the sun is strong, and the water in the keys is as clear as anything you'll get in those caribbean resorts, without leaving home for. Lots of other places in FL have great clear water too. Lots of old folks there need nursing care too, sounds like a real match. I hope the O.P. tries it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or