U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 AM

14 posts, read 47,154 times

Advertisements

This is a limited and far too simplified response. Boring people are bored...how extreme. Small children get easily bored, for example, yet they are far from boring people. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Well the weather is anything but boring; today our high temp at 71 is higher than both
LA and Vegas, tomorrow expect snow high of 38....You can wear shorts and parkas all
in the same week on a fairly regular basis...
The constant change in weather makes for another difficult aspect of living here. With 3 children, it presents constant difficulty along with the fact that you can't ever count on the weather and so it is hard to plan ahead in many aspects.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by east2westagain View Post
Yes! Does anyone watch Mad Men?

"Go bang your head against the wall. Only boring people get bored." ~Betty Draper
Did you know the lower the IQ, the harder it is to get bored? True story...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
IMO, Denver is not boring. I always manage to keep myself entertained. There's really quite a bit going on here at any one time. It took me a while to root in when I first moved here, and I can relate to what you're saying. Give yourself some time: you may learn to love the city as you get to know it better. Hint: the best areas to explore are in the city. I personally find the 'burbs to be a bit bland and boring.

I do agree about the people. I've found that people here keep to themselves, and are fairly unfriendly. I've met tons of great people since I moved here in 2004, but making good friends does take alot more effort here than in some places I've lived.

I personally don't find Denver to be all that laid back. People here seem like they're always in a hurry and tend to avoid getting to know people around them. Lots of soccer moms speeding through red lights in their Suburbans to get their kids to practice.

Overall, I love Denver. I think it's a great place to live. I just don't think that it's as friendly and laid back as it is reputed. Good luck to you!
Concerning friends and soccer moms, I am no soccer mom but I am a volleyball, gymnastics, and preschooler mom. It is so hard to make friends here. I joined various groups (MOPS, church choir, etc...). One group I spent 2 years with only to come out with zero...nothing. I even invited an entire group to my baby shower...1 person showed up. It's really awful. It was so depressing, I finally gave up and after 5 years of that, I've become one of those moms that speeds by with the children. It isn't because I'm unfriendly, in fact it's just the opposite. I became so saddened by the culture, or lack of, here that it's like I've just given up and all I can do to get by is keep my mind on the children and what they need to do.

When we moved here, about 15 other co-workers of my husband also moved here, all for their jobs. All but 3, including us, have left Denver and moved back. It is a dry, unfriendly (not mean, just indifferent?) place.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,885,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemezzo View Post
I come from a state where there are many trees, camping is not an occassion to freeze, water is plenty, and the beauty is captivating.
You sound unhappy about the temperature. I can't do anything about that. Thousands camp in Colorado every year and manage not to freeze. Beauty is everywhere. Perhaps you should change your attitude and find the beauty in Colorado. I guarantee that it exists. John Fielder manages to find the exquisite beauty that is here in Colorado.

Quote:
I moved to Colorado almost 7 years ago. I tried desperately to find fun in nature close to our home in Highlands Ranch, just south of Denver. With 3 children, I need access to short daytrips.
Ride horses at Chatfield Reservoir stables, camp at the Chatfield campground, or visit the nature area south of Chatfield.

Hike at Roxborough State Park.

Visit Dinosaur Ridge near C-470 and Alameda.

Ride the narrow gauge railway in Georgetown.

Visit Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, and the Pike's Peak cog railway (kind of pricey) near Co. Spgs.

Quote:
The type of nature I came from is nowhere to be found here unless you go into the Rockies which takes far too much time and then you might find yourself cold, even in the summer.
So it's different here. Big deal. Either grab a coat and go into the Rockies, or learn to appreciate the nature that exists nearby. The mountains and the forests are beautiful, but the plains (http://www.gocolorado.com/Content/Article/44/Pawnee-National-Grasslands-in-Colorado.aspx - broken link) and deserts have a beauty of their own

Quote:
Most of the things to do in Denver and around Denver cost quite a bit of money, especially with 3 children. The desert is dry, boring, and without the shade of trees, the sun is harsh and hurtful.
First of all, wear sunscreen, and reapply frequently.

Family membership at the Denver Zoo (http://www.denverzoo.org/involved/membership.asp - broken link) is $90 for a family or $110 for a family plus a guest. Unlimited trips for a year plus discounted tickets for special events like zoo lights.

While it is closed for the next year, I am surprised that you never visited Waterton Canyon. It is just south of Chatfield Reservoir and it is an easy dirt road (closed to public traffic) hike next to the South Platte River. It is not only beautiful, but you are likely to see wildlife, including deer, some elk, and maybe a bighorn sheep.

Quote:
Yes, for me and now for my children, it is definitely boring. But for someone only visiting and who enjoys tourism along with spending lots of money, I'm sure they will find themselves entertained.
Your children are bored because you are bored. Take them someplace, anyplace, and watch them explore their new surroundings. Children are full of wonder. All you need to do is take them to someplace new and try to see it through their eyes.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerricaAnna View Post
So what is the nightlife like? if it seems to be a dry place socially, how is downtown nightclubs/bars/shopping/single scene?
I have no idea as I've been out of that sort of life for several years. I have a feeling, however, that any large city would be fun to live in if you are single and without children...not because there is anything wrong with being married and having children, it's just that I think from my experience that larger city living is more geared toward entertaining that sort of a lifestyle.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
You sound unhappy about the temperature. I can't do anything about that. Thousands camp in Colorado every year and manage not to freeze. Beauty is everywhere. Perhaps you should change your attitude and find the beauty in Colorado. I guarantee that it exists. John Fielder manages to find the exquisite beauty that is here in Colorado.

Ride horses at Chatfield Reservoir stables, camp at the Chatfield campground, or visit the nature area south of Chatfield.

Hike at Roxborough State Park.

Visit Dinosaur Ridge near C-470 and Alameda.

Ride the narrow gauge railway in Georgetown.

Visit Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, and the Pike's Peak cog railway (kind of pricey) near Co. Spgs.

So it's different here. Big deal. Either grab a coat and go into the Rockies, or learn to appreciate the nature that exists nearby. The mountains and the forests are beautiful, but the plains (http://www.gocolorado.com/Content/Article/44/Pawnee-National-Grasslands-in-Colorado.aspx - broken link) and deserts have a beauty of their own

First of all, wear sunscreen, and reapply frequently.

Family membership at the Denver Zoo (http://www.denverzoo.org/involved/membership.asp - broken link) is $90 for a family or $110 for a family plus a guest. Unlimited trips for a year plus discounted tickets for special events like zoo lights.

While it is closed for the next year, I am surprised that you never visited Waterton Canyon. It is just south of Chatfield Reservoir and it is an easy dirt road (closed to public traffic) hike next to the South Platte River. It is not only beautiful, but you are likely to see wildlife, including deer, some elk, and maybe a bighorn sheep.

Your children are bored because you are bored. Take them someplace, anyplace, and watch them explore their new surroundings. Children are full of wonder. All you need to do is take them to someplace new and try to see it through their eyes.
Thank you for all your suggestions. The truth is I've done all these things with them. My original attitude was open and excited and adventurous or I wouldn't know about these options along with many, many others. It has taken the experiences of these along with several years to build the attitude I have about most of those things. I think that maybe you have to develop a love for a place in order to enjoy visiting it many times and still enjoy it. I just happen not to have loved it. None has been so great as to warrant the amount of time and energy it takes to frequent them. I think my state just spoiled me. I would love to return to it, however it isn't possible and I'm still looking for other avenues. I think that at some point someone will pop up with a location I haven't checked out and maybe that will open up new options or something better. We shall see!

Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,885,822 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your suggestions. The truth is I've done all these things with them. My original attitude was open and excited and adventurous or I wouldn't know about these options along with many, many others. It has taken the experiences of these along with several years to build the attitude I have about most of those things. I think that maybe you have to develop a love for a place in order to enjoy visiting it many times and still enjoy it. I just happen not to have loved it. None has been so great as to warrant the amount of time and energy it takes to frequent them. I think my state just spoiled me. I would love to return to it, however it isn't possible and I'm still looking for other avenues. I think that at some point someone will pop up with a location I haven't checked out and maybe that will open up new options or something better. We shall see!
From what it sounds like, you miss your childhood. You want to show your children all the great places of your youth, but, sadly, you cannot. Don't let your kids' childhoods fall by the wayside because you don't love a place enough to put your time and energy into it. The question is, do THEY love it enough to go back? If so, then do it again. When I became a parent, I found out that a great outing takes a lot of planning, time, effort, and money. As a kid you never had to deal with that. I am sure there are plenty of things your parents did, not because they liked it, but because you liked it. Your kids take your cues from you. If you look like you are having a good time, they will have a great time, even if you have to fake it (BTW-I learned this one at Disney World).

Now go out and have fun.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:53 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,711,416 times
Quote:
You mention many options that cost lots of money, especially for a family of 5. All options connected to Denver are pretty much that which is why I mentioned tourism and spending money. Have you been to the zoo on free day? It's a nightmare and the drive is terrrible. Trust me, if it's been an option in Denver, I've done it, spent the money, and have found that it isn't worth it. Even the Children's Museum is less than...but I come from a place with 3 different children geared museums within a 45 minute drive that are all very, very good museums. Most everything else is a money pit.
And almost half of the options I mentioned do not require spending lots of money. You are cheating your kids if you are not at least going out for a picnic at one of the many parks in or around Denver. They are the kinds of places I would have loved growing up in, and they cost little more than the price of making some sandwiches and a little bit of gas (unless you take transit, that is.) A dip in the South Platte costs nothing. If you're kids skate, the skate park costs nothing. A walk down 16th St, South Pearl or Highlands Square costs nothing. Movies at the Park costs nothing. Bring a camera to any of these places and have extra fun taking crazy pictures...let the kids take some of the pictures. You'll build a collection of memories to go along with being silly in what is, frankly, kind of a silly town.

And I have been to all the free days I mentioned, and yes, it can be pretty intense with the shear number of people there, but that's the price of free. If you don't like driving a lot, and frankly I would not blame you in the least if you did, I highly recommend getting out of Highlands Ranch if at all possible and getting closer to where the action is...if for no other reason than your kids.

Quote:
The outdoor options you mention are also limiting. What gets me is the water areas that are determined to be lakes. Where I am from, these lakes would be illegal to put a boat on due to size. The trees are lacking. Unless you keep your head cranked to the west, there is not much to see. I'm used to finding things like a small waterfall, larger waterfall, or even a cave at the end of a hike. Mesa Verde is fun in that regard, but much too far away. Even the nature locations cost money...I'm amazed at all the unexpected costs. We tried to go camping 3 times, froze all 3 and even had to fight golf-ball sized hail all night on one trip. I think for people who haven't experienced a really great outdoor experience without having to drive and drive, Colorado is good. For others, like me, Colorado is insanely dissappointing. I think it is comical that it is called 'colorful Colorado' because, indeed, it is not.
You are probably used to looking at things form a certain perspective...that of greenery and waterfalls and fields of flowers. We do have some of that here, particularly in some of the mountain valleys, but part of what makes Colorado so beautiful IS how arid it is. If you look a little closer...stop looking to the horizon, and start looking at the variety of plants and animals and soils and rocks we have here...put a bit of a mental microscope on them, you might discover just how amazing this place really is. I HAVE experienced really great outdoor experiences prior to Colorado, but to me, Colorado is some of the best. It's not too crowded, not too far away, and there is SO much to see if you just look from a different angle than you're used to. Revel in the cold and those that survived it in pioneering days. Marvel at the harsh sun and the dry air...and that we have what life here that we do. Consider how amazingly precious that water is here at the "top of the world" (or at least the roof of our country.)

Please don't think I'm trying to argue with you or anything. I just think you can find some of that magic here if you accept the place for what it is rather than what you want it to be.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,920,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
From what it sounds like, you miss your childhood. You want to show your children all the great places of your youth, but, sadly, you cannot. Don't let your kids' childhoods fall by the wayside because you don't love a place enough to put your time and energy into it. The question is, do THEY love it enough to go back? If so, then do it again. When I became a parent, I found out that a great outing takes a lot of planning, time, effort, and money. As a kid you never had to deal with that. I am sure there are plenty of things your parents did, not because they liked it, but because you liked it. Your kids take your cues from you. If you look like you are having a good time, they will have a great time, even if you have to fake it (BTW-I learned this one at Disney World).

Now go out and have fun.
This is such a GREAT response.. Many long for those childhood memories of the places we grew up in and find it hard to adjust to "extreme" changes.. thus the adjustment factor makes it hard for someone to enjoy something to the fullest. i find it absolutely hard that anyone could get bored in Colorado... just makes me think these people aren't trying or they are so wound up in their past that nothing will ever make them happy.. For the love of your children - don't make them suffer because god forbid its not as great where you came from..

And if you can't anything to do with your children that doesn't cost a lot.... try thinking outside the box... you don't have to GO somewhere... get online.. do a search for "fun things to do with kids"... outside science experiments.., inside cooking lessons..
Ever hear of the word - imagination!!!

FamilyFun Crafts, Activities, Recipes & Other Ideas for Kids & Parents and More Family Fun

And Colorado is NOT cold... seriously... if your cold then you are not properly dressed ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or