U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM

704 posts, read 1,497,747 times

Advertisements

While the multitude of outdoor activities and generally sunny, warm weather make it hard to be bored, Denver has a decidedly "family-oriented" culture that can seem to some a little underwhelming. It's not a very exciting place, but it is a very liveable place. I wouldn't want to be here if I was a 22 year old single, but I think it's great for families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM

180 posts, read 321,411 times
Denver itself, yeah, pretty boring.

If you're not the type to go explore the mountains, there isn't much to do.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:21 PM

14 posts, read 47,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
This is such a GREAT response.. Many long for those childhood memories of the places we grew up in and find it hard to adjust to "extreme" changes.. thus the adjustment factor makes it hard for someone to enjoy something to the fullest. i find it absolutely hard that anyone could get bored in Colorado... just makes me think these people aren't trying or they are so wound up in their past that nothing will ever make them happy.. For the love of your children - don't make them suffer because god forbid its not as great where you came from..

And if you can't anything to do with your children that doesn't cost a lot.... try thinking outside the box... you don't have to GO somewhere... get online.. do a search for "fun things to do with kids"... outside science experiments.., inside cooking lessons..
Ever hear of the word - imagination!!!

FamilyFun Crafts, Activities, Recipes & Other Ideas for Kids & Parents and More Family Fun

And Colorado is NOT cold... seriously... if your cold then you are not properly dressed ..
Cold is relative...and dressing for the cold takes a lot of time and money. Trust me, when you are camping in the Rockies and the hail is falling, it's darn cold. When it's the middle of the summer and you have to wear wool socks, wool hats, gloves and long underwear to sleep even though in a cabin (tent even worse), it's darn cold

Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM

60 posts, read 58,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post

World class symphony, theaters, movie theaters abound, an incredible food scene, abundance of museums, one of the best beer cities in the entire world, and the thinnest ergo best looking population in the entire country.

Denver is many things, but its NOT boring.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,845,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemezzo View Post
I come from a state where there are many trees, camping is not an occassion to freeze, water is plenty, and the beauty is captivating. I moved to Colorado almost 7 years ago. I tried desperately to find fun in nature close to our home in Highlands Ranch, just south of Denver. With 3 children, I need access to short daytrips. The type of nature I came from is nowhere to be found here unless you go into the Rockies which takes far too much time and then you might find yourself cold, even in the summer. Most of the things to do in Denver and around Denver cost quite a bit of money, especially with 3 children. The desert is dry, boring, and without the shade of trees, the sun is harsh and hurtful. Yes, for me and now for my children, it is definitely boring. But for someone only visiting and who enjoys tourism along with spending lots of money, I'm sure they will find themselves entertained.
Honestly I don't think you could be trying very hard to find things to do in Colorado. A day trip from Highlands Ranch, could be anywhere between Boulder, and Colorado Springs. That should leave hundreds of possible places to go.

As for cold even in summer. Unless you are talking about the top of a mountain peak, the temperature in the mountains would typically be in the 70s and low 80s in the summer. For most people that should feel pretty good, when the temperature in Denver is 95 degrees.

Denver has one of the most extensive park systems in the country. It's not very hard to find nature near by. But if you have to be totally surrounded by nature, a major metropolitan area is probably not the bast place for you to be living.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,845,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post

Denver Art Museum
Concerts at Red Rocks
Denver Botanic Gardens
Shows at the Denver Performing Arts Complex
Downtown Aquarium
Rock climbing at REI
Denver Zoo
Tattered Cover Book Store
Elitch Gardens Theme Park
Comedy Works in Larimer Square.
Dinner at Casa Bonita
Water World
Tour of the United States Mint
Heritage Square Alpine Slide
Denver Museum of Nature and Science
Kayaking at Confluence Park
Carraige rides on the 16th Street Mall
Horse Racing at Arapahoe Park
850 miles of off-road bike trails
Clubbing in LoDo
Taste Of Colorado
Coors Brewery Tour
Visit Byers-Evans House or the Molly Brown house
Colorado Railroad Museum
Tour Dinosaur Ridge
Santa Fe Art District
City Park Jazz Festival

Yep, Denver is a pretty boring place. Absolutely nothing to do, if you never get off your computer.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:19 PM

639 posts, read 1,115,363 times
Denver is not boring, but you don't even live in Denver. You live in Highlands Ranch which is probably one of the most boring out of the way places in the entire metro.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 22 days ago)

10,887 posts, read 29,317,265 times
I live in HR and even after living in DC, I do not find life here boring.

Growing up is was me, me, me, me, ME ME ME....(ad infinitum) all the time.

It took me a long time to appreciate the quiet, the restful pace, the friendliness of the people, and the family friendly focus.

It's a great place to raise young adults. And when they are done, I will either move to Lodo or a quiet house on a lake. I haven't yet made up my mind.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM

129 posts, read 182,275 times
Beyond boring conversations, movies, concerts, books, or other activities, most of which avoidable, I don't find myself "bored", usually I feel overwhelmed by too many options of things to get into, & that's before leaving the house!

I remember loving the time spent living in Lahaina, on Maui, a very small town, no great museums, hardly any movie theatres, or typical cultural venues & activities, but was I bored, hell no! Although, you did have to make sure perfect weather, beaches & lush mountains didn't become so humdrum you'd get "rock fever". To be honest, what did help keep things interesting were the tourists from all over the world, who came to town.

But what makes life fun for some, is not what rings the bell for others (thankfully), so whether or not Denver has as much "going on" as NY, or SF, or Atlanta & Chicago, is quite a subjective matter. I can live without 90% of all that those happening cities offer, & if I didn't need to be around a population center for work (music), I'd be living somewhere much more "boring", if not boring means lots of restaurants, entertainment venues, crowds, etc.

So, yeah, I don't Denver as being on par with those other cities in urban offerings, but I also believe a lot of those living here find the more active opportunities the mountains, & nice weather offer, to outweigh that lack. Having lived in Boulder, Ft. Collins, Ward, & Poudre Canyon, 30+ years ago, I do find the mountains not as easily accessible here, mainly due to traffic & crowds, and miss them being close enough to walk to. If I stick around Denver for long, I will definitely try to live in one of the nearby mountain areas, as I loved living in them back then.

So, to those who find Denver too boring, I'd suggest working on moving on, as I've found, in living many places over my lifetime, it's not worth living somewhere you constantly complain about. There's no right or wrong, as a musician, I know that VERY well, it's all about whether it resonates with you, is something you like, or not...

Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 AM

14 posts, read 47,152 times
For some people Denver is great...but if who and what you love is not here, it is a boring place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or