U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 46,942 times

Advertisements

I'm potentially relocating to Denver ( in the middle of my junior year, i want to die ) and don't know anything about the school system. It's generally pretty horrible in New Orleans ( where i'm currently living ) but some how my school avoided all of that. We're looking at this place called East High School, which seems to have a nice campus but according to some parent reviews I've read seems kind of jockish and unorganized. That said the campus looks very nice from what I've seen. I would know more about if the school's website wasn't down, which in itself is worrying.

ANYWAY: Preemptive thanks to any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 10:08 PM

1,530 posts, read 5,140,729 times
I went to Denver West High School and can tell you a little about East High. I am twice your age, at least, so I cannot tell you about the social life of a current East High student. Denver West has the oldest high school alumni association in the country and East has the the second oldest. Students who went to both have immense pride in their schools for the history, the structures and community pride. East was built in 1925 – Modeled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia by architect Robert S. Roeschlaub. It was recently in a video from the Denver band The Fray and as amongst it’s alumni Don Cheadle, Judy Collins, three members of Earth, Wind and Fire (including lead singer Philip Bailey), Dianne Reeves, Hattie McDaniel from “Gone with the Wind” and Pam Grier. The north end is on Colfax with much to see and do, especially the newly opened Tattered Cover right across the street and next to Twist and Shout record store. The north end is City Park and houses the Martin Luther King memorial and our Museum of Natural History. East on Colfax is a good number of Greek restaurants and a transitional neighborhood but with great victorian homes and a few new highrises. In my day, I recall East having and incredible debate team, choir, football team and equally if not greater shared pride. I wish the best to you should you relocate to Denver. Here are some photos I shot to help you see what I see in that area, plus a few of the other high schools here in Denver:

Denver East High School

City Park

Denver West High

South High

Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 AM

14,179 posts, read 20,376,784 times
THAT'S where I've seen East High before!!! Every time I drive by it, I think, "something sure is familiar about that building." East, West and South are beautiful schools. I live in GW district (Stapleton) and it obviously wasn't built in the days of the other three. Stapleton will get its own HS and from the plans, it looks like a funky "green" building, not that I'm against that, but still will never be one of these beauties. I recently stumbled across South H.S. and was amazed by it. I would imagine all three have quite a diverse student body from all economic levels. People complain a bit about DPS, but I never hear anything bad about these schools.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Okay, so I should probably toss in what North looks like, see below. North, West and Lincoln are the only schools who did not bus in kids from another section of the city and West was about 85% Hispanic in my day, I think it is still that way. It is changing as the kids from the Baker area feed into it as well as north and northeast of West, the Golden Triangle. East has wealth feeding into it from Park Hill (east 17th and Montiview blvd. area) mixed in with those kids that were displaced with the closure of Manuel High School in Five Points. Manuel area kids were actually bussed to Thomas Jefferson, but not sure if that is still happening. George Washington also had kids bussed in. North was on the chopping block for closure due to attendance. The Highlands and West Highlands feed kids into that school but so many young adults have taken over the victorians and bugalows there and if they have kids, they are only of elementary age. North will need to remain as there will be a demand for it in a decade or two as those kids grow. Curtis Park is also seeing a revival in the old home and many new structures coming in, so Manual will also be in demand but will more then likely be a charter school. Of course, very wealth familes send their kids to private schools, Colorado Academy, Regis, Mullen, Stanley British, etc.

The Elementary and Junior High Schools here are equally magnificent in design. In the late 1800s and early 1900s Denver was on a mission to have the best teachers and building designs. It is so nice to see that the building remain for us and future generations to enjoy. You won't find this amount of public school structes in such good condition and still used as a school in most cities across the country. Yet one more reason to be proud of Denvers founding fathers and mothers!

Denver North High School

Lake Junior High School

Cole Junior High, now a charter school

Skinner Junior High

Horace Mann Junior High, just closed and will become a charter school - wonderful deco design, circa 1933

Dora Moore Elementary

Edison Elementary

Old 12-23-2007, 01:41 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,562 times
They look like university quality buildings... and on a lot more land and much better taken care of than 99% of Chicago's public schools. That's really amazing.

Has DPS kept them up to date (air conditioning, computer labs, parking, and the like?)

Old 12-23-2007, 04:33 AM

13,361 posts, read 37,930,594 times
I graduated from East. ('72.)
My younger son attended there from 2003-'05. (He had to LEAVE East in the middle of his junior year, and wanted to die.)
(Our older kid graduated from George Washington.)
If you do not live in the East neighborhood, you would have to Open Enroll to get into East, and usually there is a lottery system for this popular high school.
East is pretty much the *opposite* of a jock school, certainly there really is little of that jock mentality.
FWIW, it is easily the hippest public school, but you can also get a good education there if you seek out the right classes and do the work.
East graduates go on to top colleges and very successful careers.
East High alumni are fiercely loyal and proud of their multi-culti institution.
Its student population is made up of all sorts of kids: wealthy, middle class, white, black etc.
Check out the East groups at Facebook for a look-see into the social aspects of East.
Denver's inner city schools fell into disrepair in the 80's and 90's but there has been a recent renaissance.
There is little or no AC at East, but August/September are really the only months you have to worry about that.
Denver Public high schools can be excellent, but you have to assertively use the system: get to know your counselor and aggressively seek out the most challenging classes. Show up early for registration, which can be chaotic.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
They look like university quality buildings... and on a lot more land and much better taken care of than 99% of Chicago's public schools. That's really amazing.

Has DPS kept them up to date (air conditioning, computer labs, parking, and the like?)
Yes, the schools are maintained and they have computer labs but air conditioning is only in the add-on sections of the schools. Since I graduated, West added a new library and swimming pool and both are state of the art. The library was featured in American Libraries magazine and I wished they had the pool when I was there. DPS tries its best to maintain the original structures and will only add to them verses remodel or demolish. Hence, we can enjoy the beauty of the original plan. Marble floors and staircases were standard for them and each unique and different from the rest.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:23 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,854,299 times
I just came across this thread. Wow, these schools are absolutely stunning. My mom went to East and speaks highly of it. How beautiful it is; and with City Park with the Denver skyling and Rocky Mountains right there... wow.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:00 PM

Much agreed NickMan7! I was very fortunate to go to Lake Junior High and then Denver West. It made school exciting and I know the structures themselves helped me with my education. Whomever says Denver is ugly needs glasses!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:12 PM

32 posts, read 145,633 times
Default Machebeuf?

Have you considered a private school? Machebeuf (Machebeuf High School) is not very far from East. It was recently named as one of the top 50 Catholic schools in the nation, plus top 15 in Denver (acc to 5280 magazine). Small, private schools with uniforms may not be your thing, but I thought I'd throw it in for consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: