Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 13,641 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are relocating to Denver for a job transfer and need to narrow down our housing search. We plan to rent for 1-2 years while we get a feel for the area. We have four young children and are accustomed to a rural lifestyle, but still 20 within 20-30 minutes of the city. Can anyone offer advice on the pros and cons of living in Roxborough Park, Castle Rock, and/or Parker?

Ideally, we would like: large (2,800 ft+), newer home on a bigger lot (at least 1/4 acre), in a cul de sac, finished basement, pets allowed, backing up to or near open space, rec center, playgrounds/parks/trails nearby, great elementary school, nice sense of community, around $3,000. I KNOW I CAN'T GET ALL OF THIS FOR THAT PRICE (or likely any price, for that matter, so please don't think I'm unrealistic!), but hopefully that gives you an idea…

My husband's office will be in Aurora, but he is accustomed to a 45 minute commute and will typically have the flexibility to travel when traffic is lightest.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer! This is quite overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Where in Aurora? Where are you now?

Parker to Aurora is doable - Rox to Aurora, I would not wish that commute on anyone. Most of Parker, Castle Rock are suburban, not rural.

Start with a radius 10 miles from work to start. East of Aurora is rural. South is not.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 AM

The office is in SE Aurora, near the intersection of Buckley & Quincy. Are there other areas you would recommend we look? I'm not familiar with any areas east of Aurora. I found some nice areas in Aurora but my husband is adamant about not being there. I like the rec centers in HP, but it seems like the most congested area of all the areas known to be family-friendly. Is that correct?

I'm coming from a particularly beautiful area of California, with tons of trees and open space. I'm worried I will feel claustrophobic in some of these areas!! But I also don't want my husband driving 1+ hours to and from his office. Thank you for the "heads up" about the commute.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandirayeCO View Post
The office is in SE Aurora, near the intersection of Buckley & Quincy. Are there other areas you would recommend we look? I'm not familiar with any areas east of Aurora. I found some nice areas in Aurora but my husband is adamant about not being there. I like the rec centers in HP, but it seems like the most congested area of all the areas known to be family-friendly. Is that correct?

I'm coming from a particularly beautiful area of California, with tons of trees and open space. I'm worried I will feel claustrophobic in some of these areas!! But I also don't want my husband driving 1+ hours to and from his office. Thank you for the "heads up" about the commute.
Why is he adamant about not being in Aurora? Old stereotypes? There are plenty of nice, newer houses in Southeast Aurora near E-470 and Smoky Hill that, other than the lot size, will likely fit your bill. Lots of trees may be a problem in some areas, but they can still be found in a place like Tallyn's Reach.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default Plenty of good areas in Aurora

SE Aurora is fine. We lived there for eight years and are now moving back from Dallas. The commute may not be that bad from Parker except for a few days in winter, but the easiest route would be up the tollway and that adds up over the months.

Also Parker itself is one of the highest COL spots in the state---and filled with cheapskate older rich folks who won't adequately fund their schools. My granddaughter pays one dollar a day to ride the bus because of inadequate school funding there.

Castle Rock we lived in for six years and loved it. However it has grown significantly since the early nineties and the drive up and down I-25 during rush hour can rival Dallas at times.

Your husband needs to re-think Aurora as a possibility. I would avoid north Aurora, but there are good places elsewhere . Spending extra driving time is not enjoying family time. In the long run that is what really should matter.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:26 PM

45 posts, read 75,992 times
I just want to chime in and echo what others have stated - the southern and southeastern parts of Aurora are actually quite nice. There are parts of Aurora that have developed a bad reputation in people's minds around here, and I'm sure that's why your husband is so adamant about not living there. As long as you stay in the southern/southeastern part of Aurora (pretty much south of Hampden) then you'll find a lot of great neighborhoods. The parts of Aurora that most people classify as "bad" are more near the East Colfax area in the northern section.

As 2beindenver mentioned, Roxborough is quite a commute from where your husband will be working, and I guarantee the commute would get very old, very fast. Same goes for the commute from Castle Rock.

Honestly, southern Aurora would indeed be your best bet.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:40 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
SE Aurora is the place for you. Really it is silly to consider anything else. Your husband can just adjust to a short commute. Gives him less of an excuse for dodging the chores at home. Ideally find a place where he can walk or ride his bike to work.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM

Thank you, all, for the great advice! My biggest roadblock seems to be a simple lack of inventory! So far, the only home I've found that fits most of our needs is in Rox Park. I wish I could find a few good options in SE Aurora to show him...

Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Biggest con about any of those areas:

Douglas County Public Schools.

Not a fan. District is cheap, underachieving, and driving good teachers away.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM

It looks like my last comment didn't post. Davidv, you're not the first person to tell me that...

Is the snow significantly worse in Rox Park than the other areas? As a CA native, I'm a little concerned about that.

I'm continuing to look (multiple times a day) for housing in SE Aurora and Parker, and I'm still not finding anything.
Am I missing something or is inventory really this low?!

Thank you again for all of your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver