Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please Recommend Cities (Based on criteria given)
Arvada 11 25.58%
Aurora 3 6.98%
Berkeley 2 4.65%
Broomfield 10 23.26%
Centennial 7 16.28%
Commerce City 0 0%
Conifer 2 4.65%
Englewood 9 20.93%
Highland / West Highland 1 2.33%
Golden 7 16.28%
Highlands Ranch 16 37.21%
Idaho Springs 3 6.98%
Lakewood 8 18.60%
Littleton 14 32.56%
Greenwood Village 5 11.63%
Morrison 4 9.30%
Northglenn 2 4.65%
Parker 8 18.60%
Thornton 8 18.60%
Westminster 11 25.58%
Wheat Ridge 7 16.28%
Stapleton 3 6.98%
Sloan's Lake 2 4.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 PM

244 posts, read 248,170 times

Advertisements

I'm a Minnesota native (Forest Lake) finishing up my seventh year in Parker. I think it's pretty close to perfect for families with young children -- as long as you don't mind sacrificing your children's education on the altar the school board has erected in honor of the Koch Brothers. In that respect, you're definitely better off in Centennial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,261 times
Eastern aurora and centennial boast large backyards. Try looking at the aurora neighborhoods of meadowwood or mission Viejo

Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM

19 posts, read 34,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
Although we've barely spent a month here, I am very impressed by how bike-friendly Denver is (especially compared to San Diego, where we came from) in terms of number of bike paths that criss-cross all over the place. I know that's true of Minneapolis as well, so you'll feel at home in that regard.
I've been pushing this move for some time now and she's been hesitant for several reasons. I was actually considering San Diego as a possible place to plant roots, but she is much more a fan of Colorado. Things like this definitely reassure her.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellflower View Post
I'm a Minnesota native (Forest Lake) finishing up my seventh year in Parker. I think it's pretty close to perfect for families with young children -- as long as you don't mind sacrificing your children's education on the altar the school board has erected in honor of the Koch Brothers. In that respect, you're definitely better off in Centennial.
Haha! Definitely against sacrificing my (future) children on any altar. Care to elaborate about this? Not about the pros of say Cherry Creek district, but more on your oppositional views of Parker's. Thanks in advance!

I trust the recommendations regarding Centennial vs Parker schools, it's just that those dang Parker houses are just so friggin sweet. If only I could transplant one...

Old 07-25-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdsf View Post
Eastern aurora and centennial boast large backyards. Try looking at the aurora neighborhoods of meadowwood or mission Viejo
After repeatedly hearing Centennial get name dropped, I have spent some time reviewing the housing out there. I like many of them. Actually, I like some of them quite a lot. Can you tell me a little bit about the Aurora neighborhoods? Am I correct to liken Denver/Aurora to the twin cities of MN, Minneapolis/St. Paul? If so, would centennial be then considered a first ring suburb of Aurora vs a (semi)distant suburb of Denver?

Thanks for your time!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:47 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,216 times
No, it wouldn't be considered a suburb of Aurora. Aurora would probably like to be considered a "twin city" of Denver but it too is basically a suburb of Denver.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:18 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLStoDENV View Post
After repeatedly hearing Centennial get name dropped, I have spent some time reviewing the housing out there. I like many of them. Actually, I like some of them quite a lot. Can you tell me a little bit about the Aurora neighborhoods? Am I correct to liken Denver/Aurora to the twin cities of MN, Minneapolis/St. Paul? If so, would centennial be then considered a first ring suburb of Aurora vs a (semi)distant suburb of Denver?

Thanks for your time!

I live in Southeastern Aurora and it's great. You should consider it!

I wouldn't say Aurora is what St. Paul is to Minneapolis though. Denver is the central city and the rest are suburbs.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 PM

11 posts, read 21,733 times
From Iowa originally and understand the climate extremes back in the Midwest, loving co for the last 7.5 years. I loved in wash park for awhile, which I still love, but we had a small house there, we got triple the house and cool neighborhood in downtown littleton area, we live about a mile southeast of downtown and love all the events and the real town feel.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:03 PM

244 posts, read 248,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLStoDENV View Post
Haha! Definitely against sacrificing my (future) children on any altar. Care to elaborate about this? Not about the pros of say Cherry Creek district, but more on your oppositional views of Parker's. Thanks in advance!

I trust the recommendations regarding Centennial vs Parker schools, it's just that those dang Parker houses are just so friggin sweet. If only I could transplant one...
I am not the person to articulate the philosophical and socio-economic negatives of corporate educational reforms and privatization with their emphasis on school choice, vouchers, religion and profit, because I would be plainly out of my depth trying to do so. I can only tell you that, as my son enters his senior year at Chaparral, the school day, curriculum and staff are not at all what they were in his freshman year -- and not in a good way. Class time, courses, funding and teacher salaries have all been slashed, teachers and admin are leaving in droves and the blood between teachers and the school board is bad as bad can be. Meanwhile, the school board seems to have money galore for corporate and political priorities and all kinds of razzle dazzle that caters to special interests at the expense of public education. It's disturbing as hell.

Other than that, though, Parker is idyllic. Seriously, it's clean, practically crime-free, convenient to DTC, affordable by Denver standards, loaded with open space and family-based recreational opportunities and just all-around pleasant. Wherever you decide to move, though, I wish you the best!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:33 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellflower View Post
Parker is idyllic.
What are the Walk Scores in 99% of Parker?
Totally car dependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver