U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 12:06 PM

20 posts, read 70,660 times

Advertisements

We are preparing to move to Denver next year and are trying to get to grips with the school system. We will probably end up in Douglas County so I've browsed the DCSD site. Our kids will be in Grades 5, 3 and 1 next year and I'm now trying to get a feel for what actually goes on during the school day. We have planned a trip in January and hope to visit schools then.

Other than the obvious reading, writing, math, what do kids learn and participate in at school? In addition to local and American events, how much of a global focus is there on what they learn in social studies and history? How often do they participate in physical education? Are there inter and intra school sports competitions in the elementary years? Is music part of the core curriculum? How does the year round system impact school community spirit?

Lots of questions, I know, and this is really only the tip of the iceberg!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 28 days ago)

10,892 posts, read 29,346,101 times
Kids do a "specials" rotation of music, arts, PE, technology & in some schools Spanish.

Organized sports are found more outside the schools. Even in middle school, the philosophy is to try as many different activities to see what the kid finds interesting. High school is where sports get really competitive.

Year round impact community spirit? I don't think I understand the question. I think one of the reasons that Dougco schools rank high to excellent in test scores, is that there isn't a 3 month layover from year to year. Although, there are trad year elem schools in Dougco.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,871,310 times
It is here

http://www.dcsdk12.org/portal/page/p...nd_Instruction

Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 PM

20 posts, read 70,660 times
Fantastic Charles, thank you. I hadn't found that link in my navigation around the DCSD site.

My question about all year round, and school spirit was more do to with how pupils are made to feel part of one school community even though they don't necessarily attend with each other. I guess it relates to our present experience where the children are brought together as an entire school on a regular basis, eg assemblies, school sports days, performing arts evening, etc.

Just trying to understand the similarities and differences between the two school systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or