U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,257 times

Advertisements

I am from Dallas and looking to relocate to Denver to get more closer to the outdoors as Dallas is just to flat for me and not really any outside activities unless you drive for hours. I have come in to visit and have seen Lakewood area, Washington Park which I really did like, and I plan to drive down to Littleton and Englewood to see what it is like. I heard it is safer south of Denver, not sure if that is true or not. It seems all really suburbish as I am single, no kids so I'm not sure about it quite yet. I currently have a job and was thinking of moving here for a job preferably and if not take enough with me to come here and find something quick. I currently make 55k and am looking for about 60k in a job so what areas are there that caters to the mid 30's single woman that is generally safe and might be good to meet people? This might be vague so my apologies but it is a bit overwhelming driving around and looking at neighborhoods. I am starting to see Denver is better only because it might be more of that fit but I think it's really expensive from what it looks like? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 05:47 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,868,452 times
Find a job first, and then live near the job.

It snows here, so the 45 min. commute that didn't seem so bad in Dallas could turn into a 2-3 hour commute from hell on snowy days (about 5-6 times a year).

Old 08-02-2014, 09:40 AM

546 posts, read 1,481,482 times
Having lived in the Dallas area I can tell you the traffic here is not nearly as bad but it is a good idea to try to live close to your job if you can. The city does not shut down here every time it snows like it does in DFW so you will still be expected to make it in to work and it can add some time to your drive. The plus is we have snow plows and the roads are pretty much treated as soon as the snow starts falling. We live on the west side of town and my kids did not have a single snow day last school year despite a lot of heavy snowfall. There are many great, safe areas to chose from out here and almost all of the towns/ communities offer trails, parks, and outdoor opportunities. If you end up working in the Tech Center (which is south of Denver) or close to downtown Denver there will be some areas close that don't seem quite so suburban. I have many single friends living in the Tech Center area. Good luck with your move! Yay for scenery. I have to agree--TX does not even come close to the views and outdoor opportunities we have here!

Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 2,657 times
I just moved to Denver from NY a few days ago. Single women in 30s with no kids/pets. Just a car load of items...the long-term/extended stay hotels are pretty nasty from what I've seen (well, in my price range). Still struggling to find temporary furnished apartment in my budget. I agree with other posters that you'll want to settle down into a permanent apartment after you find a job. From NY, i was not expecting the traffic here to be so bad. It's been a tough 2 days...spending more time driving around looking at places then looking for/applying to jobs. Good Luck.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 PM

64 posts, read 54,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwagner818 View Post
I just moved to Denver from NY a few days ago. Single women in 30s with no kids/pets. Just a car load of items...the long-term/extended stay hotels are pretty nasty from what I've seen (well, in my price range). Still struggling to find temporary furnished apartment in my budget. I agree with other posters that you'll want to settle down into a permanent apartment after you find a job. From NY, i was not expecting the traffic here to be so bad. It's been a tough 2 days...spending more time driving around looking at places then looking for/applying to jobs. Good Luck.
Have you found a place and or a job yet? I am originally from NY but in FL now and looking to move!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,657 times
not quite. I extended my airbnb stay in a lady's home for the month of August. I have responded to many craigslist posts for people looking for roommates or to sublease their apartment for a few months - and have not heard back from one person.
I looked at many apartments to lease on my own, but I am not ready to make that 6-12 month commitment without knowing where my job will be...so I think I'd rather do the temporary up to six months with someone or taking over their lease (to avoid fees and get the lower rent).
There are lots of apartments for lease - if you know where you want to live/work! Be careful with the 'furnished' apartments, like AMLI - you would actually rent furniture from a company called CORT, for an additional fee.
Feel free to ask me other questions! It is all still very fresh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or