U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,669 times

Advertisements

After much googling and thread searching, I'm just going to ask...

I'm a 40 y/o single female and LoDo has a lot of appeal - but am concerned about getting a place in the middle of a 20's bar scene. I've lived in a predominantly gay male neighborhood for 10 yrs and don't mind being outside the 'target demographic' at all - it's the noise I'm worried about. Drunken masses are a special kind of *LOUD*.

Are there "quieter" sections of LoDo/surrounding area to consider?

RiNo is also interesting, but can't get a feel for how far along it's come (Google street view is stuck in 2011). Walkability is a *huge* priority for me and that seems lacking. I don't mind driving to get groceries, etc - just looking for a place where people are out & about. Is RiNo there yet??

I'd like to find a place in the $1500-ish range.

* Prefer densely populated areas to residential houses
* Desperately trying to avoid living in a mega-plex (Block 32, Denargo Market type places)
* Parking is the only amenity I care about
* I work from home, so no commute

I'm flying out in 2 weeks to have a look around. Any local input would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:18 PM

13,946 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Highland.
West Highland.
Maybe Berkeley.

The rental market is very tight.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,669 times
Hmm. They all seem pretty residential, but maybe LoHi?

Thanks for the warning on the market. I'm leaving SF because the rent on my place just increased beyond sanity ($4500 for a *very* average 2 BR). Inventory is so low, a room in a shared house starts at $1000.

Any thoughts on RiNo? I'm a photographer, so the "arts" factor is a plus. But I also know up-and-coming can be code for slightly-less-ghetto...

Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 AM

6,902 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Lower Highland would be great. There is a pedestrian bridge that takes you over I-25 in to downtown proper if you want.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 AM

13,946 posts, read 20,190,335 times
LoHi is in Highland.
West Highland has commerce around Highland Square.
Berkeley has commerce on Tennyson.
All have commerce on 38th.

You wanted quieter.
You need to visit and walk around.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 AM

473 posts, read 693,260 times
What appeals to you about LoDo? It IS loud at night, a mix of sporting event attendees, tourists, those in dining and partying from other areas, and late at night gets quite obnoxious with drunk guys and screaming girls.

Also parking will be terrible. Even if you have your own spot it's difficult for friends to visit.

Any other neighborhood would be better than LoDo - Baker, Cap Hill, Highlands, etc. Also those neighborhoods are still considered "dense" by our standards. Many single family homes are divided up into condos or apartments, and condo/apt mid rises are interspersed between them (Not unlike SF), and have high walkable scores, easy transit access, and close to supermarkets and other amenities.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:59 AM

245 posts, read 250,649 times
+1 for LoHi. It sounds like what you are looking for.

Boulder might be another option.

As for RiNo, it isn't ghetto at all but it is rough around the edges as far as infrastructure goes and isn't overly walkable due to that and many buildings still having industrial-type uses.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:48 PM

52 posts, read 66,920 times
Another plus 1 for LoHi - aligns quite well with your wish list, and cuts out a lot of what you are looking to avoid in LoDo.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:01 PM

220 posts, read 673,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
Are there "quieter" sections of LoDo/surrounding area to consider?
You might want to consider Brooks Tower in lower downtown, an older high-rise building very diversified in ownership and renters in a good way. Rents for a studio go for around $1,000+/mo and 1-bedroom for around $1,300+/mo. Excellent location IMHO. Many new built apartments around 20th and Wewatta St, just west of Coors field. Rents are $1,500+/mo

Another area you should consider is Poet Row, 11th and Sherman just south of the State Capitol. Check them out.

ps, Lodo is great. Just stay away from the bar scenes mostly around 20th St on Market and Lawrence.

Last edited by RonAriba; 08-03-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver