Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:23 AM

215 posts, read 771,500 times

Advertisements

I recently read an article that spoke about the uptick of homelessness in Denver because 20 - 25 years olds who don't have jobs or a place to stay are moving to Denver for the legal weed.

Legal pot blamed for some of influx of homeless in Denver this summer - The Denver Post

Now, I have no problem with legal marijuana, but I couldn't see myself packing my bags and making myself homeless for it. After all, you can still get it all over the country - legal or not.

How much of a problem is it out there? Are you dealing with more stragglers on the 16st Mall or in the parks? I'm looking to move out there by next Spring and I was wondering how much the place has changed since my last visit a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
I recently read an article that spoke about the uptick of homelessness in Denver because 20 - 25 years olds who don't have jobs or a place to stay are moving to Denver for the legal weed.

Legal pot blamed for some of influx of homeless in Denver this summer - The Denver Post

Now, I have no problem with legal marijuana, but I couldn't see myself packing my bags and making myself homeless for it. After all, you can still get it all over the country - legal or not.

How much of a problem is it out there? Are you dealing with more stragglers on the 16st Mall or in the parks? I'm looking to move out there by next Spring and I was wondering how much the place has changed since my last visit a few years ago.
I haven't noticed a difference, but I'm likely oblivious. Let's see if they stay through the winter.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 AM

459 posts, read 807,435 times
As far as the homeless population goes I live downtown, and have for several years now. I see a noticeable uptick from last year, but it still doesn't seem as bad as it did pre-camping ban that came into place a few years ago.

As far as marijuana as the cause goes I think this piece from the Washington Post articulates my thoughts on that article from the DP much better than I could: Is legal pot causing a surge in homelessness in Denver? Who knows! The media (local especially) has been pretty sensational about marijuana and has had a tendency to blow even the most anecdotal data out of proportion. Because they found blowing things out of proportion on the topic of marijuana -good or bad- gets them attention, and attention sells ads.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
It wouldn't surprise me honestly, but I haven't noticed an major uptick in homeless people here.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:30 PM

694 posts, read 1,038,933 times
Lately, I'm getting more cases involving people being arrested for possession of heroin than anything else.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:08 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
Anybody who moves to the state of Colorado just to buy weed is a moron and deserves to be homeless. Get a life

Old 08-05-2014, 03:19 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,550 times
Sometimes, correction, often 'reporters' exaggerate. This one of those times.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM

390 posts, read 940,517 times
Where can I buy marijuana in Denver on the cheap?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:58 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,029 times
Read through some of the post. Hi, I'm a waiter from X un married, kids, no education or skills, I saw a pic of CO and it looks cool and weed is legal, know any job leads? I think I might just pack up and move.

Not exactly a productive member of society that the state should be attracting.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:16 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,348 times
Keep in mind I know plenty of professionals with discernible and in-demand skills (lots of techies) that have moved here because of the legal weed as well. Might not have been their primary reason for moving, but they admitted it was helped put Denver at the top of the list.

Just saying, two sides to every coin, but the press likes to point out the side that generates more sales
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: