Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 PM

61 posts, read 70,967 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving from Burlington, VT to Denver CO hopefully around Oct. 1st. Coming from Burlington, where the rental market is fairly small, to Denver, looks intimating. The range of neighborhoods both interest and confuse me. We have to do this on quite a tight budget, so less than $1200/month would be the goal. We are both environmental graduates and access to a good job would be another priority. We have two cars and two cats, which hopefully is not an issue living in the city. We are willing to settle for suburbs, urban, or rural, and we ski so access to the mountains would be nice. Again, we are very excited so any comments or stories would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Be prepared to be shocked

0. Spend 4+ hours reading posts here.

1. Get jobs. First.
2. The rental market is very tight. landlords can be very fussy.
3. Start thinking $1200 and up. Parking and pet fees can $100s more.
4. Forget downtown.
5. Think Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Arvada, Golden.
6. Get jobs first.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 AM

Thank you. I have been doing a lot of research here. Where would be good areas to live within this budget? I'm sure the pet costs go up, as Burlington's market has the same costs ect. I'm preparing to be excited, not really shocked. I'd like more information on neighborhoods than telling me to get jobs first. Are there other sites/realtors than Craigslist that are used more often in Denver?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
The Denver metro area is pretty large geographically so that's why jobs matter. So for instance, if you end up working in the DTC (Denver Tech Center) which is on the south, you wouldn't want to rent a place that is on the north, or you'll have a very bad commute. And given your budget plus parking for 2 cars, more central areas will be too expensive, so you will need to prioritize one area over another. Once you have narrowed down the parameters, people will be able to give more specific suggestions or opinions about specific locations you are considering.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Since you don't know where you are working, I would suggest staying as central as you possibly can. I think that it will be difficult to find a place in the more dense, urban neighborhoods due to the need to be able to park 2 cars. The budget may be difficult as well. I would check out Englewood (80110 and 80113) centered around Hampden and Broadway. I know that you can find a place in your budget in this area with parking. Englewood is between downtown and DTC, two major areas for employment.

Check out padmapper, postlets, hotpads and Zillow for rentals.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Since you don't know where you are working, I would suggest staying as central as you possibly can. I think that it will be difficult to find a place in the more dense, urban neighborhoods due to the need to be able to park 2 cars. The budget may be difficult as well. I would check out Englewood (80110 and 80113) centered around Hampden and Broadway. I know that you can find a place in your budget in this area with parking. Englewood is between downtown and DTC, two major areas for employment.

Check out padmapper, postlets, hotpads and Zillow for rentals.
Thank you for the sites. I will certainly check out Englewood.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:25 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,707 times
There are several apt complexes in Englewood. Some good, some shaky. I would check with the Englewood PD for a crime report on the area you are considering renting. I know of one right near Hampden and Santa Fe which is very nice. There is also another complex at the south end of Englewood on Hampden that is excellent.

Also, Englewood has a great downtown area; good restaurants, The Gothic Theater and some neat shopping. It reminds me of the 1960's with some of the mom and pop stores on Broadway.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:12 PM

My largest employers would be any environmental/GIS/forestry firms. Would that help narrow down neighborhoods?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burltodenver View Post
My largest employers would be any environmental/GIS/forestry firms. Would that help narrow down neighborhoods?
If you're looking for work then you would know more then we do where the firms you are interested in happen to be. Tell us where they are and then we can suggest areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver