Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 PM

8,591 posts, read 14,760,014 times

Advertisements

Our neighborhood is less than a mile from the Jehovah's Witness compound that opened up in Aurora a couple years ago. They're good neighbors for the most part but they hit our neighborhood repeatedly multiple times per year and I'm about ready to go off on them. We put up a no soliciting sign explicitly for them and they ignore it. Next time they come by I'm gonna tell them I'm a practicing Satanist. Something to think about if you plan on buying a house out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 07:38 PM

17,672 posts, read 29,570,689 times
Default Intercept first

When my doorbell rings and I open the door I immediately ask them (any solicitor) this question:
Have you accepted nuclear fusion as your lord and savior?
I always get either: huh? or no.
I say: wrong answer and shut the door.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,970,959 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bWz74h518

Old 09-07-2014, 06:48 AM

829 posts, read 755,923 times
'Solicitation', definition: "Act or instance of requesting or seeking bid, business, or information. . . ." (www.businessdictionary.com)

That is *not* what Jehovah's Witnesses are doing, so, they are *not* ignoring your sign.

It simply does not apply to them.

They are searching for those interested in learning the Bible's answers to today's problems, both personal and otherwise, and how best to deal with them.

Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20)

When he sent out his early disciples, he directed them to go *to the homes* of the people.
(Matthew 10:7, 11-13)

After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20)

This is the example that Jehovah's Witnesses are following . . . of those early Christians . . . and they find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people, many of who have Bible questions that they want answered.

It is a fact that many people who already have a religion enjoy discussing Bible topics, not to mention many others who haven't decided yet on a religion.

And, Jehovah's Witnesses *respect* a person’s right to hold a belief different from theirs, not attempting to force their message or beliefs on others. When discussing either religion or the Bible, they are *taught* to apply the Bible’s advice to do so with a “mild temper” and to show deep respect for the other person. (1 Peter 3:15)

They don’t know how people will respond until they speak with them, and often find that where one or more disinterested person lives, one or more interested people often live, too. (I was 1 of 6 people who were *definitely interested* in my home, but, was *not allowed* to speak with them for several years.)

They also teach people through their publications how to improve their lives. For example, they've published many articles about the dangers to children, which show how parents can best protect them . This is a list of links to some of those articles:

"Jehovah’s Witnesses Educate Parents and Children to Protect Against Sexual Predators":
http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnes...-sexual-abuse/

If you want them to come by less often, why don't you contact them and make your request?
They *will* respect it. Their website is full of information, and I encourage you to 'surf' through it, at:
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bo...big-questions/ .

(A 'No Solicitation' sign just does not apply to what they are doing.)

Last edited by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp; 09-07-2014 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,070,214 times
2Q, what should people add to the sign to say "**** off, I'm not interested in buying your crap or your religion"?

I think no solicitation works, because they are still attempting to sell something. The churches still run on donations. However, I'm more interested in having a sign that works than in claiming mine should work and dealing with the consequences when it doesn't. Shy of having a sign that says "[expletive] you", how does someone indicate that they do not want missionaries to knock on their door?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,450,172 times
Solicit: to seek for (something) by entreaty, earnest or respectful request, formal application, etc.:

This is most certainly what they are doing. They are soliciting to have you join their cult of the invisible spaceman.

They can't have me though. I worship the sun and I pray to Joe Pesci.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 09-07-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 AM

534 posts, read 899,934 times
Default Are you being serious ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
'Solicitation', definition: "Act or instance of requesting or seeking bid, business, or information. . . ." (www.businessdictionary.com)

That is *not* what Jehovah's Witnesses are doing, so, they are *not* ignoring your sign.

It simply does not apply to them.

They are searching for those interested in learning the Bible's answers to today's problems, both personal and otherwise, and how best to deal with them.

Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20)

When he sent out his early disciples, he directed them to go *to the homes* of the people.
(Matthew 10:7, 11-13)

After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20)

This is the example that Jehovah's Witnesses are following . . . of those early Christians . . . and they find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people, many of who have Bible questions that they want answered.

It is a fact that many people who already have a religion enjoy discussing Bible topics, not to mention many others who haven't decided yet on a religion.

And, Jehovah's Witnesses *respect* a person’s right to hold a belief different from theirs, not attempting to force their message or beliefs on others. When discussing either religion or the Bible, they are *taught* to apply the Bible’s advice to do so with a “mild temper” and to show deep respect for the other person. (1 Peter 3:15)

They don’t know how people will respond until they speak with them, and often find that where one or more disinterested person lives, one or more interested people often live, too. (I was 1 of 6 people who were *definitely interested* in my home, but, was *not allowed* to speak with them for several years.)

They also teach people through their publications how to improve their lives. For example, they've published many articles about the dangers to children, which show how parents can best protect them . This is a list of links to some of those articles:

"Jehovah’s Witnesses Educate Parents and Children to Protect Against Sexual Predators":
Child Sexual Abuse

If you want them to come by less often, why don't you contact them and make your request?
They *will* respect it. Their website is full of information, and I encourage you to 'surf' through it: Jehovah .

(A 'No Solicitation' sign just does not apply to what they are doing.)
The "spreading of the Word" has been done to death...

Old 09-07-2014, 11:35 AM

5,841 posts, read 6,114,265 times
OP, I presume you live in Stapleton? Me too. I just don't answer the door if the bell rings. Period. I wait a minute or two, and if it's a delivery, I bring it inside.

Nobody respects the "No soliciting" signs. They are pointless. Civility in that regard, as in most regards, is out the window these days.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:06 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,045,682 times
Next time they come by to solicit, point out the sign and warn that if they do it again you'll call the police and have them arrested for trespassing.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,343,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
OP, I presume you live in Stapleton? Me too. I just don't answer the door if the bell rings. Period. I wait a minute or two, and if it's a delivery, I bring it inside.

Nobody respects the "No soliciting" signs. They are pointless. Civility in that regard, as in most regards, is out the window these days.
This. I rarely answer the door. I have a peep hole installed in my door. If someone rings the bell and it's no one I know or am expecting (this would include delivery people), I simply don't answer it - same as the phone with unknown numbers. There is no law require us to answer either of these. If it's important they will leave a message or a note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver