U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
And I bet you observed just as many cars in Denver with California plates as you do in San Diego.
Really?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 03:56 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,900,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
And I bet you observed just as many cars in Denver with California plates as you do in San Diego.
I really wonder if you are from Denver?

I rarely see California plates here, I would say Texas is by far the winner.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 AM

304 posts, read 255,948 times
^ It's not as bad as it was 10-15 years ago.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,709,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
This is excellent. I took a university class decades ago over application of statistics and road traffic was a subject that took up a week. There are some good math formulas urban planners use which are way above the heads of most any poster, but the bottom line is this. If any cars or trucks are driving below the speed limit for no reason, which any of us can witness daily on all area freeways between 3-6pm, you can spot what may be the root cause a traffic jam. If all drivers drove right at the speed limit, jams would be quite rare unless there was an accident or blockage. Even with the high demand to get on the road, on ramp meters are set well below capacity to minimize slow downs and a well designed road gives drivers enough space to get up to the speed limit. Problems develop when drivers don't drive the same speed because it lowers the capacity for a lane, which cause other drivers to either brake and/or change lanes. Forcing a lane change overloads the next lane and so forth. To untangle a "phantom" traffic jam at the highest period of cars on the road can last nearly an hour after it begins even though there is no real reason for it.
I thought in that video it was clear that someone driving too close to someone else was typically the problem

This is exactly what I DO see frequently on ALL dense freeways. Whether or not someone is driving 5mph under or 15mph over the speed limit, it's the guy that comes up in the rear and suddenly taps his brakes that's responsible for the chain reaction behind him.

In traffic jams, I tend to try and leave a little space in front of me to allow a car or two to move between lanes and allow the accordion to smooth out. That way once we start moving, we can all keep moving, (albeit at a lower speed until the jam is resolved) rather than exacerbating the situation by laying on my brakes more often. Impatience on the part of others, however, has a wonderful tendency to undo good intentions.

That said, the only way a jam gets resolved in the end is for density to decrease on the roadway behind the jam. Until then, the chain reaction will continue on back until it reaches a point where that density has decreased sufficiently.

That said, density is still a MAJOR factor, even in these "phantom jams." If density were low enough, there would be enough time and space for cars to avoid the lane in question.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
I noticed the air quality index rises and falls in direct correlation to the rush hour traffic. There is hope if we move to 0% emissions from our autos and buses.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
On a positive note, they opened all the new northbound 225 lanes on Friday, so the backup to Yosemite didn't occur. They're still doing some minor work on the southbound lanes, but all that pavement had been completed. I would expect the SB side to be open to the added lanes soon.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:49 PM

861 posts, read 1,450,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
No offense to the natives, but a lot (not all) of the people here can't drive worth a **** LOL. Moreso than any other big city I've lived in. I used to be a very friendly driver. I let people in if they needed to get over, I waved after somebody lets me in. I always used my signals, etc. But after being here in Denver for 3 years now, I have become a complete and total jerk on the road. I am forced to cut people off because they won't let me over (even with my signal on). I slam the brakes at least once a day when somebody cuts me off in a small space and with no signals. I SMASH the horn at least once a day because somebody right next to me will try to get over, nearly hitting me, because they don't check their blind spot. My wife and I joke that "we are at war" every day when we commute to and from downtown LOL.

On my commute home down south from Broadway & I-25 to County Line Road (think IKEA), there is a stretch of highway near Colorado Blvd where the traffic simply slows down to almost a crawl for no reason. No accident, no broken down car, no construction...nothing. I used to think it was just people merging on/off that caused the slow down, but that's not it either. For about a one mile stretch on southbound I-25 in the afternoons, traffic literally slows down for no reason. I absolutely cannot wrap my head around it. I've never seen anything like it before. After doing 15-20 MPH for a mile or so, traffic suddnely opens up again and we're back to 65 mph. huh???

And what's up with all the people on the phone?! A few weeks ago I was in the fast lane behind some soccer mom doing 60 in a 65. Why is she in the fast lane?! I pass her in the 2nd lane, and sure enough she's on the phone, oblivious to what's going on around her. So just randomly, I looked around at other drivers. I swear, no exaggeration, I saw FOUR people in a row on I-25 that were on the phone. what the hell?!

/rantoff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Driving here is quite the experience, isn't it?

I haven't driven I-25 for over a year, and this is exactly why.
Once I discovered the many ways to travel around via the streets, I got off the highway and I haven't looked back. Still have to deal with non-stop tailgating, but, it is much better than the parking lot that is I-25.
I hadn't been in Denver for 24 hours and decided I will never ever EVER go on I-25 ever again. We are staying just south of 285 off of Wadsworth (I think) and had to go to Westminster and Arvada to look at some houses. Our GPS took us on I-25 Monday at about 9:30am. NEVER AGAIN. We went back out there today at about the same time but went west on 285 and let the GPS recalculate. MUCH better drive.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 PM

2,252 posts, read 4,504,664 times
I moved from SoCal 11 years ago and would always laugh when people complained about Denver traffic...not anymore. It has gotten ridiculous in the last 2-3 years and most people drive like they are either texting or stoned or both, really slow and oblivious to everyone around them (unless of course there's a snowstorm, then they drive like a bat out of hell). And don't get me started about construction. I love the way CDOT decided to do construction on every major highway simultaneously. Have you driven 93 lately? Ugh.

It's still not as bad as L.A. though (is anything?) but it's definitely not like the old days. God I sound like a native!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 PM

557 posts, read 665,305 times
Traffic is traffic. Gonna happen in any city of any decent size.

On the interstates, jerks that won't EVER get out of the left lane cause a large majority of the backups (aside from just pure volume). Coloradoans are better than most others places though that I've experienced in moving over after passing.

What I don't get is how you shrink I-70 and create an unnecessary merge for all of the airport traffic coming off of Pena. Makes no sense to me.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 PM

695 posts, read 801,700 times
I always wondered how all these PI Ambulance Chasers lawyers are staying in business. Just drive around the city and the answer speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver