Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:03 PM

286 posts, read 351,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
I live in the southern suburbs and while I wouldn't call it racist around here (although I did see some articles on stupid teenagers in Parker), there definitely aren't a lot of black / Hispanic / Asian folk down here. There are some sure, but it's predominantly white.

Now as you get closer to the city center it definitely get more diverse. But no instances of racism that I have experienced.
Actually, even that's not very true anymore. Denver is one of the leading cities with whites returning to the city. Even the 2010 data shows that Denver has a large proportion of whites even closer into the city center, especially towards the east.

I would argue that the most ethnically diverse areas (in terms of higher proportion of non-white people) of the denver metro area are western denver (west of I-25)/Lakewood and south along federal, and then to the east, northern Aurora. There are also some areas north of I-70 that are pretty ethnically diverse as well.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:55 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post
Actually, even that's not very true anymore. Denver is one of the leading cities with whites returning to the city. Even the 2010 data shows that Denver has a large proportion of whites even closer into the city center, especially towards the east.

I would argue that the most ethnically diverse areas (in terms of higher proportion of non-white people) of the denver metro area are western denver (west of I-25)/Lakewood and south along federal, and then to the east, northern Aurora. There are also some areas north of I-70 that are pretty ethnically diverse as well.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.
Indeed. Fivethirtyeight did a study of diversity and integration/segregation and found Aurora to be the 10th most integrated metro in the whole nation. Not only does it have slightly more total diversity than Denver but it is also less segregated into racially based neighborhoods. This is largely a product of upwards mobility in minority communities coupled with gentrification of Denver proper.

The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated | FiveThirtyEight

Old 04-11-2016, 06:13 AM

556 posts, read 762,689 times
Maybe the city center is getting whiter, but compared to Highlands Ranch it might as well be Birmingham, Alabama.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Maybe the city center is getting whiter, but compared to Highlands Ranch it might as well be Birmingham, Alabama.
Douglas County is white flight personified, so that isn't a surprise.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:42 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
I just recently moved from Aurora, and my neighborhood, per a website I saw, was about 50% white, 20% black, and 20% Hispanic. (The remaining 10% was a mix of Asian and 'other'.) It was pretty much that way the day I moved in til the day I moved out 15 years later. I can't say I had any problems--I certainly didn't worry about walking around my neighborhood at night, which I did quite a bit (including a couple of around midnight/after midnight jaunts to the 24/7 Walgreens on the corner in events of illness.) FWIW, I'm a white female. My neighbors were pretty much middle class folk who had the same concerns and worries millions of people do--keeping up their houses, going to work, taking care of their kids. Nobody seemed to have a problem with anybody else.

We did get some aggressive panhandling in the area about the time I moved, but that was honestly the worst problem I was seeing.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:34 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Exactly what we experience when we lived down there (2002 thru 2007), however, didn't bother us. Like the Reply here, we didn't see any kind of racism. The "30 something" black dude that worked in the same department I did was very cool. Him and his wife lived in Commerce City/I-70.

Quote:
I live in the southern suburbs and while I wouldn't call it racist around here (although I did see some articles on stupid teenagers in Parker), there definitely aren't a lot of black / Hispanic / Asian folk down here. There are some sure, but it's predominantly white.

Now as you get closer to the city center it definitely get more diverse. But no instances of racism that I have experienced.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 AM

Just looked at the demographics of Parker, Highlands Ranch and Littleton.........88% to 90% white. Doesn't leave much of a percentage for any other race. But, as I already said in my last reply, that's the way it was when we lived there.

Actually, before buying a house in Parker, a Realtor took us out to Lakewood to look at a house on horse property. It was a two-stall area for a couple of horses, but in all honesty, didn't look like it had been used in years. When we went inside the house, could definitely tell it was Mexican heritage by the décor. The area was just too "run-down" for us.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:46 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

Actually, before buying a house in Parker, a Realtor took us out to Lakewood to look at a house on horse property. It was a two-stall area for a couple of horses, but in all honesty, didn't look like it had been used in years. When we went inside the house, could definitely tell it was Mexican heritage by the décor. The area was just too "run-down" for us.
I don't think you meant to sound racist, but holy **** did that sound racist.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Didn't mean to sound racist at all........just truthful about the décor in the house and how the area looked. It could have been Japanese décor and the area still wasn't what we like.
One thing for sure, one person's idea of a racist statement can be completely different than how the person saying it meant it to be. If someone was to say something about East L.A., South Central, Compton, how would that be taken? Or, what about Detroit?
Do I say "I give" again??? Perhaps I shouldn't reply anymore to Threads in this part (Denver) of C-D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I don't think you meant to sound racist, but holy **** did that sound racist.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:25 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,216 times
Skyhog, like many on here, is just crying "racist" because it makes them feel superior.
Minorities don't bring down values in neighboring communities, low rent and home prices do.
Accordingly, prices are going up and po people is leaving what be where day uzed to crib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver