Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:38 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Skyhog, like many on here, is just crying "racist" because it makes them feel superior.
Minorities don't bring down values in neighboring communities, low rent and home prices do.
Accordingly, prices are going up and po people is leaving what be where day uzed to crib.
Did you really just go there with the Ebonics? This devolved quickly.

You also just said low rent and home prices bring down values. So low prices create low prices? Fascinating.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-12-2016 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-12-2016, 10:47 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
This thread just took a left.... LOL.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:58 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
This thread just took a left.... LOL.
And the thread is 2-years old, with no new questions asked.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 893 times
Let me be completely honest! Denver is NOT diverse. The suburbs have become more diverse during the last few years, mostly because the people of color have all been relocated out of city limits through gentrification.
As a 4th generation Denver native, and a person of color who has lived on the West Coast and East Coast, I can tell you that it is difficult to find people of color that actually live in the city. Some folks, have described North East Denver as having people of color, however those areas too, are slowly disappearing, North Park Hill, Globeville, Swansea, and Montbello.
In an article which was found this year, it describes downtown, Denver as being close to 80% white. [url]https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/16/downtown-denver-white-single-wealthy/[/url]
Most of the new people moving to Denver are coming from the Midwest, where people of color are a rare sighting. For those folks, Denver seems diverse. For people who have lived in big cities like, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, Miami, and Houston, Denver is not diverse. Yes, Denver has a large Hispanic, (Chicano) population, however, there are are very few other people of color around. Since I work in the community, I am fortunate to see and hear what is actually happening around the town. I am seeing how the Hispanic people who in the 1960’s, 70’s, 80, 90, and 2000’s who once lived in North Denver (highlands, LOhi, SLO-hi) are today begging told to “go back to Mexico”. These are people of New Mexico heritage who have never been to Mexico, and have lived in these areas since the early 1600’s.
If you love to climb a good 14ner in the morning, zip around town on a rented scooter or bicycle to your local brewery in the afternoon along with the other 80% of the white population, Denver amazing. If you feel safe being around all white folks with less than 2% African American community, Denver is your town. If you enjoy having almost 8 out of 10 people in the city being white while the people of color live in the suburbs, out of sight, out of mind, Denver is for you. If you like diversity, culture, good food, and an open minded community, you should defiantly not move to Denver.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Well, I worked in Denver, just north of Coors Field, from mid 2003 thru later 2007, and the fairly large company I worked for only had one African-American working for them and he worked in my Department. Him and his wife lived in Commerce City. Very nice dude to work with.

People of color were very hard to find back then, but don’t know how it is today. Have been told that it’s still the same way.

Colorado, and other surrounding Rocky Mountain and High Plains States are definitely much more of White, Hispanic and Native American than any other race. Just the way it is and has been.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:31 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, I worked in Denver, just north of Coors Field, from mid 2003 thru later 2007, and the fairly large company I worked for only had one African-American working for them and he worked in my Department. Him and his wife lived in Commerce City. Very nice dude to work with.

People of color were very hard to find back then, but don’t know how it is today. Have been told that it’s still the same way.

Colorado, and other surrounding Rocky Mountain and High Plains States are definitely much more of White, Hispanic and Native American than any other race. Just the way it is and has been.
It's changed a lot.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:58 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Denver is not very diverse. I read in an economics study that whites think diversity is 15% people of color while blacks think diversity is 50% people of color. Denver is learning to become a big city, but it lacks representation on Television, in board rooms, and management ranks. Diversity in Denver means White women. With that said, Denver likes to think it's a cowtown, mining town, energy center. Denver is not a 24 hour town.

People are right in stating that they're less racial tension in Denver. People are generally friendly here. I feel like Denver is 1970-1980s California. I like Denver a lot but have lived in many minority majority cites. Denver has a good quality of life and is investing in transportation and the arts. Denver has no culinary identity.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM

824 posts, read 705,177 times
typically the US average for African American is ~13%. Maybe Hispanic the same. People tend to exaggerate the numbers of ethnic citizens out of fear. Education, opportunity and travel really brings citizens together.

In the US if you subtract off the citizens of African Americans, Hispanics, Gay, Asian... only are white 60% white. Of the white peeps 50% are women and they should stay at home. That leaves 30% of US citizens that are the privileged.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:51 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
One thing for sure, cities like Loveland are NOT diverse and that is fine with us. Some folks like a lot of diversity, while others don’t. Loveland is 90% White, with less +/-1% African-American.

Want “big-time” diversity, move to where we live.....Jacksonville, Florida! White, African-American, Indian, Mexican/Hispanic and some Asians, with White and African-American being the majority, but the Indian community growing fast.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:05 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
According to the Census Dept., Denver itself is 9.5% African American, 3.4% Asian, 1% other and 31% Hispanic.

Take the official Denver metro area and it is about 5% Black, 4% Asian, 1% other and 23% Hispanic.

Look at whole state and it is about 4% Black, 3% Asian, 1% other and 21% Hispanic.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-09-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver