U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 AM

13 posts, read 21,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Try Harley's Hot Dog Revolution in the Southwest Plaza Mall. One yelper even claims it is better than Portillo's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrcron123 View Post
Great info Kim thanks! especially coming from a fellow "Chicagoan" I do see that Evergreen looks big and we will have to come out to see which one would fit best if we decide to make the move. can I ask if you have kids? how did they adjust to the move? we are concerned with the adjustment for the kids obviously. how are the rec./park district programs? sports? my sons plays lacrosse and football and it looks like that is at the highschool. my daughter cheers, but not sure if she would do that if we have her transfer and enter into a high school in her junior year. what about the downtown area of Evergreen? it appears to be quaint. i'm thinking like Geneva or Lake Geneva? or am I way off? We just need to make the trip to visit! LAST QUESTION: what internet provider do you use? You said that your husband works from home and said that it is fast. does he lose connectivity when the weather is bad? THANKS!!

The kids are all different ages. There are a lot for them to do here. As there are a lot of transplants the kids are understanding. Any move is an adjustment just due to disrupted friendships, etc. You cannot control that. What you can control is the environment you move them into and Evergreen is a solid, healthy choice.

Things I've seen here that wouldn't happen in Chicago:
Teens helping youngsters on the ice during ice skating season.
Teens offering to help people with groceries.
People actually stopping their errands to investigate a car alarm going off at the grocery store.
People actually looking up and smiling at a stranger.

Never saw that in Chicago. The smiling possibly a few times

There are plenty of activities here for them. Not just with school but hiking, boating, etc. they won't skip a beat.

Downtown Evergreen is quaint, but once you've seen it you've seen it. Your visiting relatives/friends will enjoy it. The Muddy Buck is a great coffee hangout.

Not as big as Lake Geneva and thankfully not congested. Same for the beautiful lake. No motors or swimmers, which keeps it peaceful. The kids and I have had many encounters with elk by the water when fishing. Just beautiful!

We use Century Link for Internet. Very few problems. We do have a hot spot as well. That being said at the end of my road by a valley they don't get cell service, but they get Internet. Strange.

Again, take your time when you come here. It's expansive and not set up like Chicago burbs, each area is unique and has different things to offer.

Best decision we made!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 21,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I liked Portillo's too, but there's a little place called Mile High Vienna Stand on Santa Fe in Denver which IMO is a more-than-worthy substitute. They have a bunch of Chicago and Denver sports stuff all over the walls in there too.
Another idea for a good place to try ~ thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver